Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would expect Cosby to be the top team in the Central Region (Dominion District). They made the regional semifinals last year despite having no seniors in their first year. Translation: They return 9 experienced starters this year, and they can all flat-out hit. They have 3 seniors who are fall Division I signs and a 4th who'll sign Division I in the spring. I hear they now have a sophomore outfielder who can fly, something like a 6.25 in the 60. They have one proven starting pitcher (Ronnie Shaban) to throw against tough competition and enough other pitching to outscore everyone else on their schedule. They are also well coached. In a word, they are LOADED.

Other strong teams in the Central Region should include James River (Dominion), Douglas Freeman (Colonial), and Hanover and Atlee (Capital).

I'm not very familiar with the Central District, so I'll leave it to someone who is to clue us in on the best teams out of that district. (Armyofone, speak up!)
As you said, Westfield and Chantilly will be tough in Concorde as will Oakton. Westfield core is hitting and defense led by Matt and Michael Snyder -- Ole Miss signees, Chantilly core is pitching, led by Pat Somers (ECU), Chris Yates (W&M), Max Langford (Dartmouth), and Keith Morrisroe, catcher (Concord U), and Oakton, who has good offense and defense, led by Alfred Rodriguez (Maryland), Kevin Wagers (Villanova), and Keith Werman (Virginia).

Lake Braddock will have strong team in NR as well, led by Shane Halley (UVA).
Midlo Dad pretty much nailed the teams I was going to mention from the Central Region.

JR returns their top two starters in Stadler and Marrs (which are probably the top 1-2 punch in the state, and you could probably make the argument nationwide) in addition to at least one other D1 commit in Oldham.

Freeman also returns one of the better 1-2 punches on the mound in Hudgins and Galbraith (not sure that spelling is correct). While neither of those guys are currently on the level of Marrs or Stadler, they are both quality arms who have already made D1 commitments. I'm not sure that many other local teams are going to be able to make the claim of having two pitchers as good as these two.

Hanover returns most of their team (if I remember correctly) from another squad that was right there in the region finals last year.

In addition, I think Henrico showed last year that they can hang with anyone when Cutler-Voltz is on the mound. They only lost two players I believe (granted, Poma was one of their better players). I'm not sure how their schedule breaks down, but they'll certainly be in every game he pitches.
quote:
Originally posted by Cycle31:
JR seems to have the upper hand returning both starting pitchers

Well JR lost a lot of good ballplayers beyond those two. They obviously can't both pitch at the same time, so all it takes is for one team to have a great night and anybody can be beaten. And as further proof that a dominant starter doesn't necessarily ensure team success, look at Ethan Carter last year losing to Deep Run in the state semis (I think) even though he threw a no hitter.

Cosby (and other teams I'm sure) will give them all they want within their own district. In fact, I believe Cosby beat them at least once last year. Marrs had some injury issues last year, so anything can happen. Just to be clear, that's certainly not meant as a question of Marrs' health...I was just using him as an example that everything looks good on paper two months before the season starts but once the season starts things can change quickly and unexpectedly.

With that being said, having two dominant starting pitchers has to make you feel good about their chances of making another run.
Last edited by Emanski's Heroes
In 2006, Monacan came out of the Dominion and won the state title with really one marquee pitcher, a couple of other serviceable arms and a lineup of hard hitting seniors from top to bottom.

In 2007, the team closest to that model was probably Deep Run, and it made it to the state championship game. James River had the two highly touted then-junior pitchers, but also two key senior pitchers who (a) stepped in as a starter when Marrs missed starts, and (b) closed games out reliably all year long. JR also had a lineup deep with seniors who hit well, and was a superior defensive team. JR as you know won the championship game, and that was largely because its # 1 starter was the more fresh at the end, and because its defense played flawlessly.

I see Cosby being in the Monacan/Deep Run mold this year. If anything they are a more potent offensive team than the other two. Ronnie Shaban is a strong guy as a # 1 pitcher, though whether he is up there with Chris Duty (Monacan 2006) and Deck McGuire (Deep Run 2007), that may be asking a lot. Still, Cosby has a chance to make it three straight AAA titles for the Dominion.

JR will be in the mix and on any given day could beat anybody, but I expect them to drop a few games along the way due to lack of experience past their three returning senior starters. A successful season for JR would involve having their new starters mature as the season progressed, and if everyone stays healthy all season, they could be a force to be reckoned with come playoff time due to their pitching advantages.

Hanover is just plain well coached, they have their own marquee player in Jake Mayers, and given the usual weak competition in the Capital they are a shoo-in for regionals. Once you get there, anything can happen.

Freeman has the two senior pitchers in Galbraith and Hudgins, and is the only Central Region team other than JR to have two Division I scholarship pitchers this year. That to me says Freeman rules the Colonial this year. Also, we saw a guy named Scoggins last year who I think is a junior this year; he was a bit rough on his command but he threw pretty darned hard. Assuming he matures, that will give Freeman a lot of mound depth. I don't know who all they have offensively, but offense has typically been their strong suit over the years, so to me they are in a position to make a strong run.
Last edited by Midlo Dad
The cream of the crop in the east region appears to be largely in the southeast district this season. Hickory, led on the mound by Gary Ward (Miami)and Brett Harris (ODU), will likely make a return trip to the east region playoffs, but will be pushed by Western Branch and Great Bridge. All three have outstanding returning talent and at least one strong team from that district will be left out of the dance. The Beach District is wide open this year and the key will be which team has their largely untested pitchers (to this point) step up. Still, at least on paper, it does not appear the Beach can compete with the top teams in the Southeast this year...luckily they don't play the games on paper. Smile Not as familiar with the East and Peninsula Districts, but Maury seemed young last year so I'd peg them as the frontrunner in the East and rumour has it that Menchville is the team to beat in the Peninsula...especially with the transfer of Ethan Carter to the Monarchs.
The 2008 AAA Spring Jamboree (multiple sports) will absolutely be held at Westfield HS in No. VA.
This means the semis and championship games will be held there...........
Here is the link.....passed by the Exec committee in May 2007.
VHSL Minutes
SCROLL down to VIII. Committee Reports
and then go to E. Policy

You will see the vote for ALL of the state championship sites for the 2007-2008 AY.
Last edited by jbbaseball
Westfield baseball field is a bandbox with 330' fence all the way around. They've tried to make it tougher for homeruns by erecting an approx 30' fence in center field, but the left and right field power alleys are still very short. Lots of fly outs in other parks are doubles off the center field wall.

If that wasn't bad enough for pitchers, there is virtually no foul territory in this park.

Great for fans, but expect some high scoring games in the state semis/final, unless pitchers are striking everyone out.
NWR: Osbourn and Forest Park have some fine players, but I don't think they have the depth they have had in past years. Osbourn Park, with George Piccarilli (VMI), has a competitive group. Battlefield is in the mix, led by pitchers Matt Crouse and Evan Scott.

So, NWR should be much more balanced and competitive than in past years.
Well said Spartan. As the parent of a player whose team won it all in '05, the whole team concept was what got that team through States, as well as the entire season. Oh yeah, and one other detail that is often overlooked: a quality coaching staff makes one hell of a difference. I have seen more than a few loaded teams not progress because of poor or inexperienced managing.
I heard that Gary Ward's scholarship with Miami fell threw and that he signed with ODU, can anyone verify that? Also, Cox has a solid team coming back despite the loss of Reed Killen to W&M. Maury is young, for the second year in a row. They started 2 freshman last year on the left side of the infield and I believe both are returning as sophomores. With Breeden behind the plate they look solid. But dont count out Granby, anchored by 2 senior outfielders in Pat Callahan and Jeff Zeisler.
quote:
Originally posted by Indian River Braves:
Chris Taylor,the top 2 pitchers for nansemond river are back.

Sorry, I'm really more of a Beach District guy. I realize that NR did well last year though, so if their top two pitchers are back, I'm sure they will be tough to beat. Fill me in though, who are these guys that we should look for? Baseball season is almost here and I'm starving for some good baseball talk.
quote:
Originally posted by VABaseball321:
Cox has a young rightfielder who I have heard we should look out for. I believe he is a sophomore and a great hitter. Bayside has talent. So does First Colonial.

Cox has a lot of good players, but none have done anything thus far to warrant a whole lot of hype...yet. Hopefully they'll let their play on the field this year do all the talking for them.
Cycle 31:

I would say it is not logical to try to predict the outcome of a single-elimination tournament. Over the course of a 20-game season, the cream will rise to the top. In any one elimination game, however, anything can happen.

I saw the Oakton-Monacan finale in 2006, and that was proof positive that you just never know what might happen.

I also saw the James River-Hanover Central Region Semifinal (qualifier for state tourney) last year, and although most would say JR was the better team, it took several breaks and clutch plays to win that game. If any one of those things had gone the other way, Hanover would've been in the state's final 8 instead of JR.

Add to that the prospect of things like injuries, etc., and you just never know.
Collegiate Baseball ranks James River # 15 nationally, and also mentions Paul VI, Madison, and Deep Run as teams to keep an eye on.

The problem is, that basically acts on the assumption that teams who did well last year will repeat this year, irrespective of who graduated last year, who moved up, etc.

My guess is that JR will see a few bumps in the road in the first half of their season, after which they'll be able to forget about national rankings.

Madison seems to have the big reputation -- so how come Oakton keeps coming out of that region to the state tourney? In case nobody noticed, Oakton has a lot of kids coming back this year, including some who advanced to the state finals as sophomores and the state quarterfinals as juniors. Seems to me you have to watch out for a team with that kind of senior leadership.

I do hear that Paul VI is loaded and thus potentially belongs on national lists.

I would be surprised if Deep Run really distinguished itself this year. They wouldn't be my preseason favorite in the Colonial District. They lost a lot of their starting lineup to graduation last year and pitching is a big question mark for them entering the spring.

Omitting Cosby from the "watch" list just proves to me that they didn't really do any homework in compiling the list. Everybody around here knows what Cosby's got this year. I doubt they'll take more than 1-2 losses in the regular season.
You are correct that Oakton is loaded for 2008 and should be ranked higher than Madison going into the season. In 2006 and again in 2007 Oakton beat Madison 2-1 in regional semifinal games that could have gone either way. Note that in both of the past two years that they made it to states, arguably Oakton's best offensive players -- Eward and Padula were lost for most, if not all, of the season due to injuries, thus making their runs all the more impressive. If Oakton hadn't lost the 2007 Concorde district final to Robinson, Oakton and Madison would have been seeded in opposite parts of regional bracket and subsequently might not have met until the regional final.

The 2007 Madison team was senior dominated with 5 or 6 guys all moving on to D-1 baseball. While Madison does have talented players returning and their system will bring new starters who have had to wait their turn, they should not be ranked ahead of Oakton, with or without Jeter.

PVI, like Oakton, has senior, multi-year starters at most of their positions. Let's see, C, #1 Pitcher, #2 pitcher, probably 3 of 4 infield positions, at least 2 of 3 outfield positions.

Oakton and Madison play early in the season and PVI may be scrimmaging Oakton or Madison or both.
I love Midlo's modesty but let's be realistic, I, along with everyone else fully expects for James River to be in the thick of it from start to finish. The expectations for James River or Pvi or Oakton to run the table may be a stretch but they all know what's in front of them and I'm sure all three have set lofty goals both personally for their players along with their team goals.

I'll tell you first hand that you'll never see Oakton in any polls unless things change drastically. Coach Rowland simply does not believe in taking the time to play the game with all of these rankings and polls. Coach Rowland simply believes in putting together the best product on the field possible and let their actions speak for themselves. This has certainly worked for them so I don't see this changing. I have the up most respect for Coach Rowland and his entire coaching staff. The quality product they continue to put on the field every season is very impressive.

James Madison, like Oakton, has had a very talented run for many seasons. Pudge and his staff are relentless in their teachings and the commitment they expect in return. Unlike Coach Rowland, Pudge works his tail off making connections every season with every poll taker, ranker group there are out there. The expectations are no different for Pudge's teams as Rowland places on his but Pudge feels it's important to establish not just a solid team but to develop a program. A program that every year regardless of who they lose from the previous year, there's another player waiting in the wings to fill the void. I am one who believes that rankings in the big picture really don't mean a whole lot but it does bring some validity and if nothing else visibility to your program.

Paul VI has done wonders w/ their baseball program and all the credit should be directed at Coach Billy Emerson and his entire coaching staff and the professionalism they bring and approach to every work out, practice, scrimmage or game. I've coached for many years myself at many different levels including high school and travel and I've never seen anyone work harder for his players than Coach Emerson does. Coach Emerson takes it upon himself to put together packets on every player in his program and then proceeds to send the scouting reports out to every college coach he knows every year. It's his opinion that if one of his players wants to play at the next level, he'll work tirelessly til one is found. I commend him on his efforts and find it refreshing to see in today's society where many coaches don't feel this is their obligation.

I'm not sure where you may have heard about a possible scrimmage between Paul VI vs. Oakton and Madison but that'll never happen in my lifetime. I can't explain it. I would personally love to see that happen but these coaches for what ever reason have not and never will play against Paul VI. Paul VI has extended an invite to both before but both have declined.

Paul VI returns 7 of their 9 starters from last year having only graduated their left fielder and short stop. Paul VI returns every starting pitcher from last year and has added a few new ones for this year from the younger ranks. Paul VI has 10 pitchers that top out around 85 and 3 who are around 90+. Paul VI has seven sub 7.0 runners in the sixty yard dash. Paul VI returns 8 of their top 10 hitters, 24 of their 33 homeruns from last year, 33 of their 56 stolen bases, 74% of team's RBIs along with 4/5 of our returning infield that turned 30+ double plays. When it's all said and done Paul VI will have all nine seniors go on to play ball at the next level, 3 of them have already signed.

The 2008 season should be a great year of baseball in the state of Virginia and I for one am looking for to it getting started very soon here. I wish everyone the best of luck this year and fully expect to hear good things from outstanding team peformances, to personal performances, to additional college signings and most importantly I hope to hear that everyone stays healthy.
j2h6, I would agree that JR should be very good again. But if you saw Cosby play last year, you'll know that Midlo is right on the money about how good they can be. JR does have the killer 1-2 punch, but Cosby has a relentless lineup, and at least one top pitcher (who is a step below the JR hurlers, but a very small step below). Remember, Cosby has lost no one due to graduation and they were really good last year, winning the district tournament if I remember correctly. I don't know that it really makes any difference, but this will also be their second year of everyone playing together under the same coaching staff. Last season was the first time the entire roster played together under Coach Lowery, so that could be a factor as well.

Depending on the depth of their district, they could very well throw the house at JR in their two matchups. Those two games should determine the district champion (anything can happen of course). Barring any unforseen circumstances, at this point you'd have to call those games tossups because the teams will be very evenly matched.

Beyond Cosby's #1 pitcher, I'm not sure where they stand, so it'll be interesting to see what they have developed on the mound when it comes time to win 2-3 games per week to advance through the playoffs.
Last edited by Emanski's Heroes
Once the 2 starters are in mid-season form (able to go 6-7 innings every time out), JR should be in every game and always have a chance to beat anybody. Even Cosby.

BUT, JR has a lot of inexperience down the lineup, and I suspect they will lose a close one here and there. An error here or there can cost you a couple of runs, and if you don't produce from every slot in the batting order, you can be had on any given day.

I am looking forward to those Cosby-James River games. They should be amazing games to watch. As long as I don't die of a heart attack, that is.

I do think the Dominion is not as strong in the 3-4-5 ranks as it was the past two years, so losses by Cosby and JR, when playing teams other than themselves, would rank as upsets for sure. But there are a couple of pitchers out there who could still muster a shutout here and there, so you just never know until they play the games.
One game playoffs are the great equalizer. Many a great team has fallen to that "off day" or spectacular pitching performance. The best High School team I ever saw had two #1 draft picks, 3 future major leagers, 9 DI players and they didn't make it past Regions. Why? 1-0 game lost on a hit batsman and a few wild pitches. Good luck to all teams.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.