Skip to main content

SWB, you got it. And as good as JR was last year, you should've seen the regional semifinal game with Hanover. That was the most amazing, nerve wracking game I've ever seen, and JR was very fortunate to win it. They easily could've fallen that day and thus never made the state tourney at all.

As to the field, it is built but the sod has not taken root. The schedule has been skewed so that the first 11 games are all away, the last 9 all at home. Hopefully the home games will be played on the new field, but if it's still not ready I guess the old field is still there and playable.

I don't have the dimensions for sure, but to my eyes, the corners at the new field are short, maybe only 300', but it balloons out quickly. Still, not all that deep in CF, maybe 355'. Which would make the alleys maybe 340-345'. CF isn't too bad, but I for one wish the lines were deeper. Just not enough land to make it happen.

The big difference will be that the way the old field is oriented, the wind is always blowing in from left. At the new field that same wind will be blowing out to right, thereby helping lefties and being more neutral to righties. I look for a marked increase in HR's this year, both for and against.
EH, I am in agreement and we've all heard it before....especially in baseball, on any given day anything can happen. I heard great things about Cosby and hope to make one of those JR vs. Cosby match ups.

SW, the exact same thing happened to Pvi last season in the state tourney and we lost to a talented St. Christopher's team and starting pitcher who now is at Boston College who absolutely shut our bats down. I've seen the opposite happen where we faced a team this past spring break in a tournmaent in South Carolina and the opposing team's pitcher threw a one hitter against us and lost. It just so happened that the one hitter he gave up went over the fence and then the house beyond that. It's a great game and thus why they have to play all seven innings !
That BC lefty you mention is my business partner's son, so I did know about that one! I guess I should've been there to see it, my bad!

It's a darned shame you can't play a series, at least 2 out of 3 for the finals. But what can you do, the playoffs are right at exam time, and some folks have this quaint idea that the books are more important than baseball!

Hard to believe, I know, but some folks just don't have their priorities straight!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.