Skip to main content

Dear ClevelandDad,
Thank you sir, for the nice words.

Although I really cant take any credit for my David Letterman peanutbutter & jelly baseball budget recruiting list.
Most everything I learned came from right here on the HSBBW. Smile

Midlo Dad,....I think there may have already been a cheap cost-effective Wink recruiting idea list/thread posted in the past. Let me go back into the history files and see what I can pull up.
rwulf congratulations on your son's success. Thanks for sharing your experiences and your views. There is no need to think you have to justify to others on the web site what you were able to do for your son. It is great that Baseball Factory was successful for your family; I think there are not enough opportunities for skilled players to find places to play who have the desire to play and the skills to play due to the fact that events or many showcases mostly cater to the top players.

Not everyone is a blue chipper who can be invited to top level showcases and have their fees waived. Events like the main events of AFLAC, Area Code, East Coast Pro Showcase, Cape Code, and others are great events for the very top players in the country, but the highest number of players may be fit into the Mid-level DI, DII, DIII, NAIA, or JC schools, out of high school and do not need the exposure with the very top prospects.

There are a lot of college programs who may not do not have the budget to travel around the country to attend these events or they know that they do not have a chance to recruit them or they will most likely go pro. There are many players who can play at the next level, but do not find a match or fit due to the logistics or geography.
PRE-SEASON ALL-AMERICA FACTS

Pre-season All-Americans actually showcase and compete against each other, making it the only “non paper” All-American honor.

Pre-season All-Americans are scouted and selected by Baseball Factory scouts and/or Team One Baseball scouts, along with some scouts from Major League organizations.

The 2008 Pre-Season All-America Tournament will feature the top high school players in a 16-team wood bat tournament. Teams will be broken up by region to compete for the Under Armour Pre-Season All-America Tournament championship. Additionally, players will rotate amongst stations that include pro-style workouts, video and instruction.
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martin:
PRE-SEASON ALL-AMERICA FACTS

Pre-season All-Americans actually showcase and compete against each other, making it the only “non paper” All-American honor.

Pre-season All-Americans are scouted and selected by Baseball Factory scouts and/or Team One Baseball scouts, along with some scouts from Major League organizations.

Well, that changes everything. Never mind.

NOT!
Last edited by infidel_08
"Pre-season All-Americans actually showcase and compete against each other, making it the only “non paper” All-American honor."

I don't understand how anyone can contend that is a truthful statement. Players play against each other at both AFLAC and the Cape Cod event. There are also workouts in the days before those events where skills can be evaluated by scouts in attendance.

To me this just adds further evidence to the case against the operators of the UA event. This is a lie told to invitees as part of an effort to induce them to participate.
Last edited by Midlo Dad
It seems to me that a true "All-American" is someone who has actually competed or tried-out to earn the title of "All-American". Titles should be earned not just appointed. I'm not sure of the process but as far as I understand the USA Olympic Team Players have tried-out, competed, and earned a spot on the team.

Perfect Game-----Appointed
Aflac-----Appointed
Under Armor-----Appointed
Actually, PG (which handles AFLAC selections) sees thousands of players in both showcase (tryout) and competition (WWBA/BCS) game situations, gathers info on other play (e.g., scout reports on high school games) and a multitude of other data. It's a process that relies upon years of data, not a few days at a tryout when someone may or may not have their best day.

I have a great deal of respect for the USA Baseball organization, but you should know that only the final few who go to trials or the Tournament of Stars have the kind of tryout you're talking about. The rest are selected from the multitudes the same way PG does it, more or less. In fact, USA Baseball relies heavily on PG scouts to conduct its process.

Under Armor is not appointed. It is offered for sale and purchased.

Not sure who got you up on the wrong side of the bed, but it sure comes across like you have some sort of axe to grind.
The business knows if they give the people All American honors for attending more people will come. So if I would have been willing to shell out the bucks to attend the event my son would be an All American. But since I did not he is not. OK that sounds legit. NOT!

How anyone could defend this type of business practice is beyond me. And to lump AFLAC in with this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

My son did not have to compete in showcase events to get his invitation to pay for the award. Neither did several players I know that got the invitation.

I can see the exec's sitting around the conference table. "Hey how are we going to get guys to attend this event?" "I know, we will tell them they are Under Armour Pre Season All Americans." "You know that is brilliant Steve." "Yes it is because those parents will pay to get an award." "What are we going to do about the ones that dont come." "No problem we will just call the ones that attend All Americans." "Steve you are the man. Now more will come because they dont want to be left off the list for not coming." "Brilliant Steve you are going to get a raise for this."
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TPM:
I agree with infidel, the All American is misleading for a showcase. How about the Under Armor Classic? Parents see All American and that excites them. That's their marketing ploy.
[QUOTE]

Yes Coach May print that on the invite and they will come. Big Grin
Last edited by TPM
BTW - Thanks to all who welcomed me to the board. I enjoyed this discussion. To pitch in to the latest posts - the "Under Armour Classic" idea seems like a good rename for the event. Maybe I looked in the wrong place, but all I saw for the All American event were tournament team rosters. I am not sure what the BBF is supposed to do - put people on team rosters that aren't attending? Is there a separate list of "All Americans" that I am missing?

Also, for what it is worth - my son wasn't invited to the All American thing, so there is some kind of selectivity going on. It is not all just cash based, because we certainly have paid all of our BBF bills. He was invited to a different Under Armour pre-season camp/tournament (which we won't be attending). I forget what it is called.
2008 Under Armour Pre-Season All-America Tournament Night One/Day One Recap

1/12/2008
Dave Lax
Baseball Factory

The 2008 Under Armour Pre-Season All-America Tournament kicked off with an amazing opening ceremony. As the hundreds of players, parents and scouts flocked to the desert they were greeted with a once and a lifetime opportunity. Clint Hurdle of the National League Champion Colorado Rockies spoke to the entire group of players and parents to usher in the 2008 Under Armour Pre-Season All-America Tournament. Clint showed clips from this season and gave sage advice to the eager listening players. However, it was not over there. Clint stayed around for over an hour after his speech signing autographs and taking pictures and chatting with anyone and everyone that came up to speak with him. The players and parents were also treated with guest speaker Ernie Young who holds the all-time homerun record for the minor leagues.

As Day 1 of on field action began a frost delayed slowed down the energy that was created last night at the opening ceremonies. But the frost was short lived and the players got on the field and took defensive workouts and batting practice before their first game of the event. As the sun filled the clear blue Arizona sky the temperatures reached 68 degrees making it optimal playing conditions. Almost every game played today was decided by one or two runs. The scouts also turned out in full force. There were over 20 different major league organizations represented on Day 1. After each team got in their first game they again were treated to a spectrum of knowledge in the two guest speakers on the second night.

Doug Glanville former Major League player spoke to the players and parents about his experiences. Rick Sofield gave a motivational speech which received a standing ovation at the end. Overall Day 1 of the event went very well as the temperatures, the play and the great speakers made everyone appreciate the honor of the privileged of being a 2008 Under Armour Pre-Season All-American.
Son got an invite but did not go.

Speaking of the cost...just a few numbers

For two people (Player and 1 Parent) arriving from the east coast and factoring in airfare, hotel, rental car, meals, gas, and probably some kind of gate fee for the parent: $2550.00 low end to $3099.00 high end.

Player going alone = $1900.00 (If all goes well)

I am getting dismayed at the number of events and costs associated with attending these type of events. I know the market is largely set at what people are willing to pay, but it seems to be getting way out of hand. The cost to attend an event two years ago was roughly $450, it's now almost $600 - 800. I would suspect it will be $1000 or more soon enough.

Money aside, because I know there are arguments from both sides on that, I mean they do have to compete and they have to make a profit to succeed. The main issue to me is when they toy with the line of ethical behavior by using this "All-American" title, letters with congratulations for being selected to yada yada, or any other means by which a parents adoration of their player is used to sway them into thinking if they don't spend the money, they will not be successful. It's just not true.
Last edited by ARMYOFONE(RET)
I was going to try and do my best NOT to quote on this matter since this horse has been beat to death but I can't take it any longer!

I agree with Coach May 110% on his viewpoint.

If my son was ever selected pre-season All American, World Beating, Player of they Year, blah blah blah, and was told for the low, low price of $***X he could attend a camp/showcase, etc. to me they could have saved $$ on the ink, paper, and postage they sent it to me with. Please don't insult my intelligence.
Thank you YoungGun , thank you very much. To me it was insulting. You are either an All American or your not. If you have to pay to go and get the award then you bought it. Therefore it holds no credibility. Its these types of business promotions that cause many to pass on this stuff. And unfortunately it also causes others to write a check.
quote:
Originally posted by Coach May:
Here is my point. You get a big package in the mail. On the letter it says "Congratulations you have been named an Under Armour Pre Season All American".

Then the letter goes on to tell you that for X number of dollars you can play in the All American Game. If you do not go they do not list you as an All American. If you pay the fee and go you are listed as an All American.

So in fact you Pay to be and All American. Dont tell someone they are an All American then go on to say for X number of dollars you can play in the game.

Either you are or your not. It should not be you are if you pay and play or not if you dont pay. It has no credibility.

It's a joke the way money works in baseball. Can't they field a team of the best and have that be an all-expense paid team. Then have other teams that are "paid-only" teams that weed out the very best of the best. The people who pay to go to the paid-only teams are surely not going to send little Johnny who makes 3 errors at short-stop per game and has a .142 batting average. That way they have some credibility. Just a thought....your thoughts?
quote:
Originally posted by rwulf:
To help Frank - Richard Lucas (4/153) , Robert Carson (14/453), Taylor Cole (26/806), Cole Cook (36/1090), B.J. Salsbury (37/1123), and Cory Vaughn(43/1288) were all drafted and attended the 2007 event.

That was quick, rwulf. You left out Ryan Acosta (12/367), Jiwan James (22/683), and Gaspar Santiago (32/979). I searched The Baseball Cube for my information. What's your source?

It seems that MLB wasn't interested in 90% of these "All-Americans".
Last edited by infidel_08
Do we really want to take a look at the Rawlings/PG All Americans and see how many of them were drafted vs the Under Armour PS AA Team Roster of last year?

There is no need believe me. Please its pointless. How many kids were at the event last year and were named All Americans? 250 or so? And all we can come up with is 5 or 6 that were drafted. What does that tell you?

It simply has no credibility. It means one thing. If you are willing to write a check you will get a certificate. If you are not , you wont.

As long as this is how "They" select their AA's then they will continue to get slammed by people who know better.

How many AFLAC players were drafted last year? How many will be drafted this year? I know you dont want to put their numbers up against those do you?
Link copied to your clipboard.