Skip to main content

Really. I was praising the 2007 PR team and Playball was praising the 2008 team. Neither with the intent of hurting the other. When comparing teams, you are going to place one ahead of another. It's not because one is particularly bad, it is because we feel the other is that good. Why dwell on the negative? Also, we would never isolate one specific player and attack him, on this site or anywhere else.
Pitching goes along way...I like Stevenson's pitching staff consisting of 3 Division one prospects. Will they have the offense to back it up?

Out of the city teams, St. Rita and Brother Rice will be extremely tough. I like both of their pitching and Brother Rice has crafty LHP Pat Gannon (Purdue) leading the way as well as some other great arms.

O'Fallon went deep last year with a young team so look for them to be in contention as well.

Wheaton North should be higher. They took a 4th place finish last year being nearly carried by two juniors, now seniors, Trey Martin and Jack DeAno (Vanderbilt).
Last edited by RollinAces720
Speaking of Wheaton North, which is a very good team, Batavia beat them 2-0 last year just before playoff time and returns a strong core behind Jordan Coffey, Brian Krolikowski, Tim Drish, Ryan Welter, and a Venezuelan transfer student who is a RHP/3B. The Bulldogs have underachieved their talent the last couple of years - but they do have some talent - especially on the mound.
Barrington has the talent to make a real good run at it. Some of the pitching is young, but the team is going to be very good at scoring runs and the young pitchers will be able to do it. Handler is the best player no one talks about....maybe because he is playing football in college.

If they pitch to Handler he is going to hit 10 or more HR's. If they don't there are enough other hitters to make you pay.
Last edited by FastballDad
quote:
Originally posted by FastballDad:
Barrington has the talent to make a real good run at it. Some of the pitching is young, but the team is going to be very good at scoring runs and the young pitchers will be able to do it. Handler is the best player no one talks about....maybe because he is playing football in college.

If they pitch to Handler he is going to hit 10 or more HR's. If they don't there are enough other hitters to make you pay.

They had an up and down year year, but they are now playing to their potential and have a great shot to go downstate. Saturday vs, Stevenson should be a good one and if Barrington's pitcher has one of his "on" days it could be a good day in Barrington.
Last edited by FastballDad
Batavia is the team no one saw coming this year. The Bulldogs went 30-3 after a slow 0-3 start and beat a very good Wheaton North team in the Sectional final -- all with Jordan Coffey limited to pitching just a few innings late in the year due to shoulder surgery. They ran into a very good Cary Grove team, a pitcher they couldn't figure out, played an uncharacteristically sloppy game and got beat 10-1 - which sometimes happens in a one-and-done format (see B.R.). Congrats to the old 13U Wasco Travelers - Jordan Coffey, Tim Drish, Brian Krolikowski and Ryan (Beiller) Welter - now Bulldogs on their historic season. Congrats also to all the other Elite 8 qualifiers and good luck to the four teams left standing in Joliet.
Should be an interesting match-up with CG and Nt. I don't know much about the pitching for CG but when I watched them against Batavia every hitter was really swinging the bat. They also played great defense behind their pitcher who did a great job keeping hitters off balance.

I just read a story about the CG first baseman in the NW Herald Kevin Adams and after reading that I have to pull for CG and Kevin in this one. I don't know Kevin, but that story said a lot about the character and dedication of Kevin, his family and teammates. It sure put things into perspective.

Best of luck to everyone this weekend!
Last edited by 2bagger

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.