Skip to main content

I am a senior this coming school year on our varsity baseball team. I am hoping to continue to play through college. I am aware for myself that it would be at a junior college, D2, etc. The question I have is: I have my college classes paid for with Texas Tomorrow Fund (my grandparents took care of that for all their grandkids when we were younger)so unlike most players, I am not looking for the scholarship point of view in playing; I am looking for a place to know i am a part of the team. Having one would be my ideal to base where I plan to attend college.
Do I come up front with that information when I am writing and presuing a team for next year? What about when I attend a showcase?
Any suggestions would really be great!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I dont think I would mention it in the inital process, but its a good trump card.....

My son had a local D1 coach tell us he had only 7.5 scholarships (school did not fund the full # allowed by the NCAA)...so he needed players who could pay most of their own way or were smart enough to qualify for academic monies......

He was quite up front about it....if it was a school you are interested in and you are having an open conversation, then play that card......
quote:
Originally posted by piaa_ump:
My son had a local D1 coach tell us he had only 7.5 scholarships (school did not fund the full # allowed by the NCAA)...so he needed players who could pay most of their own way or were smart enough to qualify for academic monies......

Good point, there is someone here who argued that D1 coaches don't do that or ask those who can afford it to give up their scholarship.

Wrong!
Last edited by TPM
I am in north central Texas. I was thinking d3 would be the way to lean towards. My grades are fair but I am in ap classes. I am active in my school too. I am I think 178 out of 500 in my class. Baseball has always kept me goin in school, like a reason to stay on track; which is another reason i really wanna play in college (besides the love of the game)
I am a 2nd baseman and played alot of 3rd for my summer team.
I would probably start with two tasks. I would look at the recruiting timeline on the home page of the website for the things you need to do to identify likely schools, contacting those schools, playing in front of those schools coaches and ultimately being part of the team. You have work to do to catch up to those who are now committed to schools.

I would also hang out on the Texas board on this site, which has alot of active partipants involved with scout teams who play in front of the folks you need to be seen by.

Good luck.
Last edited by Dad04

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.