Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by MidAtlanticBaseball:
quote:
MSABC All-State Team voting

Many good players were not nominated. (Brad Markey, KJ Hock...etc.)

I actually saw the nomination sheet and Hockaday and Markey were definitely listed. I know of a few others who made the top 30 (Kyle Convissar, AJ Lardo, Alex Ramsay, Alex Lenovitz, Mike Draper) but was looking for the full list. 4 guys from Hammond ??? wow... Maybe we can piece the rest of the list together.
Last edited by mdbaseballfan2010
convissar - sp
tr clark - hammond
marsh - chesapeake aa
ramsay -sp
wissmann - hammond
selmer - riverdale bap.
kean - old mill
gowe - st. michaels
seitzer - chesapeake aa
fitzpatrick -mcdonough
draper - msj
lardo - loyola
anderson - st. frances
steele - reservoir
cunningham - blake
christensen - hammond
riley - gaithersburg
ty clark - hammond
fratantuono - cardinal gibbons
parks - st michaels
bouey - sherwood
hill - st frances
wolfe - huntingtown
bennett - decatur
driscoll -urbana
glazer - clear spring
lenovitz - calvert hall
nadolny - belair
kratochwill - marriots ridge
bennett - col. richardson

These are all very deserving and talented players - Congrats to them all. There are also some great players not on this list as well. The MSABC does its best to make the voting as fair as possible, if a coach does not nominate his players - shame on him.
Thanks Hocobaseball!! Is there any chance that you could update the list to add each players graduation date?

You are correct - there are a number of very good players listed here.

I think the MSABC is doing a good job of trying to get more involvement from private school coaches. It is good for MD baseball for the private school coaches to have exposure to some of the terrific public school talent and vise-versa. 5 MIAA players made the list this year (about 16%) - a good sign that this cross exposure is starting to happen.

As mentioned, there are a number of very good players who were not selected (e.g., Hockaday) or even nominated (e.g., Peltz) but for the most part I think this list represents the top talent in MD
Last edited by mdbaseballfan2010
The years of the players were not posted. There are always some unfortunate omissions - KJ and Markey are certainly 2 of the top 30 in my mind. It is unfortunate that many coaches do not take the time to vote much less show up to the meeting. There were over 100 players nominated this year - I just wish more coaches would get involved in supporting their kids.
convissar - sp 2010
tr clark - hammond 2010
marsh - chesapeake aa 2010
ramsay -sp 2010
wissmann - hammond 2010
selmer - riverdale bap. 2010
kean - old mill
gowe - st. michaels 2010
seitzer - chesapeake aa 2010
fitzpatrick -mcdonough 2010
draper - msj 2010
lardo - loyola 2011
anderson - st. frances ??
steele - reservoir 2010
cunningham - blake 2010
christensen - hammond 2010
riley - gaithersburg 2010
ty clark - hammond 2010
fratantuono - cardinal gibbons 2010
parks - st michaels ??
bouey - sherwood 2011
hill - st frances ??
wolfe - huntingtown 2010
bennett - decatur 2010
driscoll -urbana ??
glazer - clear spring ??
lenovitz - calvert hall 2010
nadolny - belair 2010
kratochwill - marriots ridge 2010
bennett - col. richardson 2010

These are the years I know. Again, a very solid list of baseball players. Best in the state will be determined this spring. Exciting Stuff
quote:
Originally posted by the hill:
Hats off to the kids that made it. But I can not believe the huge injustice that the Frederick county coach's have aloud to happen here with the great number of excellent baseball players in the county. Get off your butts and stand up for your guys. You could of made the list a lot better.

Players that were nominated from Frederick County schools were from Urbana, Catoctin, Frederick, and Walkersville. I think there were two players from Catoctin, five players from Urbana, one from Frederick, and one from Walkersville. One player from Frederick county made the list.
Each coach is given a form to include all of the players statistics over his playing career. There is also unlimited space for comments and awards for the coach to fill in. Voting members only see what the coach has taken the time to include. Coaches are also given an opportunity to speak at the selection meeting if it is a close vote. If the coaches do not take the time to advocate their players through the nomination form or by attending/speaking at the meeting - it is the kid that pays the price.

I was at this years meeting - maybe 40 coaches there in total.
Everybody that got snuffed has the same chance that everyone that got picked has to make All State at the end of the year. This guy, that guy, this county, that county, this region, that region. It means nothing. The cream will rise to the top. It always does. There are several names on the list that surprised me just like every other list that comes out but all of the kids are good players. What is the cut off? I know a kid that batted .440 had 22 stolen bases 4 triples, 34 rbi's, 4 Homeruns, played 8 positions, and pitched to an era of under 3. He batted 3rd on his team and he was a sophomore last year. He isn't on the list. Let me ask the question. Should he be? Now let me ask it a different way. If he is a 1A player should he make it? If he is a C conference player should he make it? There are lots of reasons why kids are not on the list. At the end of the year the kids stats will speak for themselves. Debate but don't take it personal.
Agree that a number of the top players were left off this list. The comment made about the Hammond coach is off base. Coach Lerner is one of the best young coaches in the State. Hats off to him for being an advocate for his players and baseball in HOCO. He has helped in the development of some of the best players to come out of HOCO with his youth camps.

Any thought about releasing the complete list of the nominated players?
here is the nomination list in alphabetical order (110 players i think)

Anderson Darrel St. Frances
Andrews Zach Arundel
Baldwin E-Jay Bishop Mcnamara
Batal Abe Riverdale Baptist
Becker Jordan Pocomoke
Becker Logan Pocomoke
Bennett Hunter Colonel Richardson
Bennett Troy Stephen Decatur
Blevins Bret Northern-Calvert County
Blyer Ben Mt. Hebron
Boling Joseph Archbishop Curley
Bosse Matt Calvert Hall
Bouey William Sherwood
Britton Kory Atholton
Brown Alex Meade
Brown Chris Rockville
Brunvol Josh Avalon School
Bryank Greg Calvert Hall
BurbrinkRyan Dematha Catholic
Campbell Tyler BelAir
Christensen Jared Hammond
Clark Travis Hammond
Clark Tyler Hammond
Clow Andrew CM Wright
Cobo Jon CM Wright
Convissar Kyle Severna Park
Cunningham TommyBlake
Doyle Sean Archbishop Curley
Draper Michael Mount Saint Joseph
DriscollDylan Urbana
Dylus Erich Frederick
Egber Alex Montgomery Blair
Escobar Carlos Watkins Mills
Fitzgerals Pat Calvert Hall
Fitzpatrick Zach McDonogh
Fratantuono Donnie Cardinal Gibbons
Funk John Avalon School
Gains Chris Huntingtown
Gilley Andrew CM Wright
Glazer Brian Clear Spring
Gosnell Kenny North County
Gowe Jorday St. Michaels
Guido Donnie Eastern Tech
Hahn Dan Sparrows Point
Halsey Shane CM Wright
Hammond Jason Williamsport
Harmon Cody Westminster
Hendrix Geoff Catonsville
Hill Devan St. Frances
Hockaday KJ John Carroll
Hollern Andrew Parkville
Jenkins Steve Arundel
Jones Brent Severna Park
Karis Nick Northwest
Kean Kevin Old Mill
Kenney Carson Walter Johnson
Klein Harry Avalon School
Kratochwill Kevin Marriotts Ridge
Kroll Ryan Broadneck
Kruger Matt Catonsville
Kunkle Jordan BelAir
Lardo AJ Loyola Blakefield
Lenovitz Alex Calvert Hall
Loftus Kevin South River
Mahaffey Jon Century
Markey Bradley CM Wright
Marrow Troy Loyola Blakefield
Marsh Michael Chesapeake (AA)
Mason John Avalon School
Mason Ryan Urbana
McGuigan Ryan Damascus
McKelvey Kyle St. Michaels
Merryman Michael Hereford
Miller Justus Urbana
Mills Collin Frances Scott Key
Morris Zach South River
Mowatt Robin Walter Johnson
Mullings Gary Sherwood
Nadolny Zach BelAir
Neary Austin Archbishop Spalding
Nelson Brandon Westminster
Parks Adam St. Michaels
Prassinas Manuel Patapsco
Rados Chris Northwest
Ramsay Alex Severna Park
Richardson Zach Northeast (AA)
Riffe Kyle Dematha Catholic
Riley Nick Gaithersburg
Rossi James Stephen Decatur
Routzahn Landon Catoctin
Ruse Bobby CM Wright
Seeba Daniel Dematha Catholic
Seitler Jason Chesapeake (AA)
Selmer Matt Riverdale Baptist
Smith RJ Catoctin
Spahn Zach Mount Saint Joseph
Steele Tyler Reservoir
Swallenbrooke Ben Archbishop Spalding
Tennant Brody Mt. Hebron
Testo Nick Avalon School
Theiss Jake North County
Troyer Shane Chesapeake (AA)
Uherek Nikolay Dematha Catholic
Volz James Hereford
Wissmann Danny Hammond
Wolfe Spencer Huntingtown
Yaeger Jacob Pocomoke
Zeigler Kyle Westminster
Zubrod Charles Georgetown Prep
Zuniga Joey Walkersville
Coachdontcare - Are you kidding me? Nice way to speak about a coach. You see the 110 players nominated - Coach Lerner is 1 vote. He may have earned the respect of his peers and developed players that other coaches obviously felt deserving of the honor. Hammond lost 9-8 to North Point, a school with 2500 students. Obviously you have no knowledge of the game, no knowledge of Coach Lerner, no knowledge of his players, and have no respect for the game. ALL of the players who made the team are deserving. You may wish to educate yourself about a coach before you slam him.

Do you know Coach Lerner runs the fall baseball league for howard county for free? Speaks to coaches of players that are not his own? Will help anyone who asks? Volunteers to speak at youth baseball organizations to help develop other coaches?

It is a classless move to disrespect him and to disrespect his players whom the MSABC felt were deserving.
Unfortunately Mr. HoCo, coach Lerner still has yet to prove himself in an undertalented county. All I know is, during the best days of a school (take Centennial for example) players would never have been selected. You don't know all the players on the list or else you would know they are not all deserving and wouldn't be spouting your self-righteous ****. Unless what you're saying is his kids only the got the award because he is a perpetual do-gooder off the field? Now that makes sense.
HOCO High Schools have accounted for 9 State Champions and 11 finalist over the years.Based on this, the argument that HOCO is an undertalented league has no real merit in my opinion.Take a look at www.mpssaa.org if you want to compare the success of the different counties and schools. The overall talent coming out of the county this year is pretty good and I would stack them up against any county in the state. Some of the better players were not nominated for the All State team.
Based on the number of early NCAA signees, baseball in HOCO is doing just fine.

As many of the poster stated before ,you can blame the particular coach(es) for not advocating for their players. To continue to bash the Hammond coach because he advocates for his guys is counter productive in my opinion.
quote:
Originally posted by B8zeBall:
What is the criteria and instructions a coach is given to consider a player to be nominated for MSABC Pre-Season All-State?

Many, many years ago...when I was involved in the MSABC, I don't remember any criteria, instructions or guidelines given to coaches for such nominations. I remember some of the veteran coaches saying "if you have a kid who you think is a top 5 player in your county, then you should nominate him". So, that was the criteria I used. I think in 7 years, I was part of two nominations. And we were a pretty good high school program.
Coaches are instructed to nominate anyone they feel is worthy of the honor. They are told if you think they should be a candidate - nominate them. They are given a form to include all of their past offensive statistics - no defensive statistical space. I have to disagree with this aspect since defense is a vital part of the game that is too often ignored. Coaches are also given unlimited space to provide awards won by players and any other information they feel the MSABC should consider when selecting the team.
Riley - Gaithersburg - lol (laugh-out-loud)...implies that Riley’s presence on the Pre-Season All-State Team is laughable or a joke. Over 1500 people have possibly viewed this comment. Here are the facts.

Riley won 5 games and had a save last year for Gaithersburg High School, a team that won 9 games starting 5 sophomores. Gaithersburg graduated 15 seniors from the year before including Kevin Brady. Riley proudly represented the State of Maryland this summer on Team Maryland in the Sunbelt Classic in Oklahoma and MSABC Futures in the Midwest Baseball Classic in Chicago. Those two teams combined for an overall record of 10 wins and 2 losses. He pitched a total of 16 innings in 4 of the 12 games...twice as many innings as any other pitcher on both rosters. He was the ace of his American Legion team that had no business reaching the State Final game. He has committed to play baseball at Mount Saint Mary’s University. He’s earned the recognition.

I have also seen all four of the Hammond players play and I’ll start a team with those four and compete with anybody. I’ll take Driscoll too...I have never seen him play but he must be pretty good based on Coachdontcare’s recommendation.
The way this is going it seems that it could get out of control. I think the main point here is that everyone feels there is a great number of very good ball players in Maryland and sure everyone wants there kids name on the list. I have seen a lot of the kids on this list play also. Do they belong on the preseason list? why not they are all good ball players. Is there kids not on the list that should be? Sure there is a lot of good ball players not on the list. This is a preseason list, the only people this list matters to is the kids that made it and the egos of the parents who's kid that did not make the list. That doesn't mean they are not good ball players they just did not make the list.There is a great number of kids from Maryland that never made the preseason list that went off to play college ball. The real deal is now that this discussion has been going on the kids on the list better have pretty good season this year or the next topic will be “i told you so”. Let the coach's coach,the kids play and the parents parent and see what the season brings.
Last edited by cup shot
quote:
Originally posted by baseballer29:
I'm curious if this list that's making the rounds is official. It seems like two of you have access to the nomination list and the final list. Are you coaches who were there for the voting. If so, wouldn't it have been better to have waited and let the MSABC make their announcement?

Not an MSABC coach and do not have access to the final official list. The nomination list came from a coach who voted and those selected on the list may not be final/official. But I think you are right - it would be nice for the MSABC to announce first. Didn't realize they will not release the official list until Feb.
quote:
Originally posted by mdbaseballfan2010:
quote:
Originally posted by baseballer29:
I'm curious if this list that's making the rounds is official. It seems like two of you have access to the nomination list and the final list. Are you coaches who were there for the voting. If so, wouldn't it have been better to have waited and let the MSABC make their announcement?

Not an MSABC coach and do not have access to the final official list. The nomination list came from a coach who voted and those selected on the list may not be final/official. But I think you are right - it would be nice for the MSABC to announce first. Didn't realize they will not release the official list until Feb.

Wow, all this going on and the may not be final or official.
First of all, glad to see so many players (115?) nominated. I'm sure all of the boys who were selected to the team have been notified one way or another.

It is a good idea to reserve three spots on the team for obvious oversights who, for whatever reason, were not on the original ballot yet deserve to be All-State. These additions could be made to the official list that is announced by the MSABC at the banquest in January. Select 27 at the meeting / reserve a maximum of three spots for players that were not originally nominated and wrap it up within ten days of the original selection.

Every year there are some obvious oversights that could easily be rectified and add to the prestige of the 27 who were originally chosen.
....a player signs a national letter of intent with an ACC power and is not nominated among 115 players?
...a player is player of the year in the Baltimore area as a junior and is not on the pre season All State team as a senior?
...first team all metro as a junior no nomination as a senior?

It's happened before and will likely happen again without some type of at non political, at large selection.

The commitee should include MSABC officers, region heads and perhaps some other well respected baseball people like Dean Albany and Allen Haines who run the two best fall showcase teams from the Mid Atlantic area.

As it stands, we are never going to have all of the coaches in this state providing the recognition to deserving players. The 'at large' selections would only includes a short list of kids who were NOT nominated, thereby circumventing the potential politics that may get certain kids on the list. Truly for deserving, overlooked players who should hve been nominated and were not.
quote:
It is a good idea to reserve three spots on the team for obvious oversights who, for whatever reason, were not on the original ballot yet deserve to be All-State.

This is NOT an All-State team!
PRE = Before you have played a single game = some THINK that you will have a very good season.
A player wouldn't put this on his profile.
It doen't mean anything except to boost some's expectations.

Apparently this means more to some of the supposed "adults" than it does to the kids.
I cannot believe the arguements over this, calling out coaches, and most disgusting, calling out kids by name and disparaging their ability.

Go play the games, then when the season is over, THE All-State team will be picked.
Then maybe there will be something to argue about.
The process has improved, not perfect, yet closer.

Pre Season All State Nominations are submitted electronically.

The Nominations are voted on, electronically.

The top thirty votes getters from the nominations are the Pre-Season All State team. The Pre Season Team is formerly introduced at the 2010 Banquet.

Pretty straight forward. Similar to American Idol. Smile

Top vote getters this year had 67 votes.
Top 30 player had 19 votes.
There was an article in the Sun about the four Hammond players who received this honor so the list must be official. Obviously, whoever released that information to the Sun had the authority to provide the information. What is all the mystery about this list anyway? It is what it is. Some will agree with it, others will not. We all know there is a tremendous amount of politics involved at all levels of youth baseball, including high school baseball.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.