Skip to main content

"right arm of zeus" - what is your opinion on the '2011 All Team Battlefield District'? Who do you think is in the running? If anyone else who follows the Batllefield District please share your thoughts. Would like to see more participation, to determine if it is worth the time and effort to keep posting discussions in the future.

Player of the Year:
C:
1B:
2B:
3B:
SS:
OF:
OF:
OF:
UT:
P:
P:
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thats a great question- I know you are probably not going to get a straight answer but here is some possibilities after seeing and reading stuff:
There is a lot of competition at alot of positions that i know of.
Take SS for instance you have 4 legit contenders with Keranan of Courtland, S.Barlow of chancellor, Klopsis of KG and Returning 1st team all-state Josh Gardiner, all have high averages and some home runs.
Firstbase is up in the air also with Payne at Spotsy, Oster at Chancellor, Peavley at Culpeper, Stevens at Eastern View, I believe all have fairley good averages with RW with 5hr might give him the edge though.
Second base is wide open you have Belcastro of courtland, elliot for Culpeper, Greer for Chancellor or Thompson of KG. But no real standouts at 2b that i have seen.
third base KG Dumbrowski, Chancellor- returning HM all-state 3b T. Frum, young guns Neal from Courtland, Pittman from Eastern View and Crim from culpeper might be a sleeper but Frum should have this locked down.
Catcher seems to be on lock down Haught from courtland will be hands down first team and possible player of the year if one of the SS don't have a say so. Other than haught you have shifflet from caroline, selbe from chancellor and Houck for Spotsy will make it interesting for second team.
Outfielders are going to be a cluster like usual. Talley of spotsy is returning first teamer should be a good contender, Rossi from Eastern View as a sophomore was all-region and has seemed to come back to form, R. Smith of Caroline, B. Tinder of Caroline, BJ Collins of spotsy, M. Nerkowski of Culpeper, Connors of Courtland, J.Whorton of Eastern View all could be possibilities. Man it really is a toss up, then you never know with utility or DH. As far as pitchers not sure of records but some of the better ones are Kerenan of courtland, Carrol of KG, Ward of EV, Estes of KG, Morgan and Frum of Chancellor, Zalunzey of Courtland. All have been good this season, but it seems to be a hitters district this year so you never know what these guys will have as far as numbers.

There are always guys people miss so there could be some sleepers, you never know. I have actually enjoyed the battlefield discussions.
'Tie Breaker' if you are talking about the Battlefield District standings. Usually, if two teams are tied they will look at their head to head matchups first. Like last year we had Coutland in first with 4 other teams tied with 8-6 records. Spotsy was eliminated becasue 3 of the 4 teams all split games with each other, but Spotsy lost both times to King George.

This year is could be interesting, becuase it is looking like it could happen again. Just as long as the tiebreaker is not determined by a coin toss, but instead having the teams play each other to break the tie.

Unfortunately, VHSL doesn't have any information on how this works.
Yes, there is a preseason draw that is used if the teams have identical district records and they are even in head to head play. My understanding is non-district games have no bearing on the playoffs.

And just for clarification "Dumbrowski" is actually spelled Dombrowskas.

Player of the year is tough but I'd have to lean towards Jonathon Haught (Courtland). I am not sure of the contenders for most positions, but I do have thoughts on a few:

Pitcher - Carroll (KG), Kerenan (Courtland), Frum (Chancellor), Ward (EV) and maybe Beasely (Caroline).

Catcher - Haught (Courtland), Shifflet (Caroline)

The rest are either toss ups or I just haven't seen everyone play as I couldn't make it to all the games.

I don't know how about it being a hitter's district - not when Carroll (90 mph fastball) or Frum (CH) are on the mound. At last count Carroll has 80 SO with 2 wins 3 losses and 1 save. In the Knight's 3-2 loss to KG there were 26 SO between the two pitchers with Carroll recording 14.
All District Team selected:

http://www.fredericksburg.com/...83/index_html?page=4

Battlefield District

Courtland senior catcher Jonathan Haught was named player of the year and Tim Acors was voted coach of the year after leading the Cougars to the district regular-season title.

First-team: P--Sean Pico (Jr., Ca), Travis Frum (Sr., Ch); OF--Lee Rossi (Sr., EV), Jimmie Crismond (Jr., Ca), Brent Gromer (Sr., Ch); 1B--Mike Oster (Sr., Ch); 2B--Chris Carter (Jr., Ca); 3B--Dylan Dombrowskas (Jr., KG); SS--Josh Gardiner (Sr., EV); C--Jonathan Haught (Sr., Ct); DH--Clay Keranen (Sr., Ct); UT--Travis Frum (Sr., Ch).

Second-team: P--Damion Carroll (Jr., KG), Clay Keranen (Sr., Ct); OF--Lex Estes (Jr., KG), Matt Nerkowski (Sr., Cu), B.J. Collins (Sr., Sp); 1B--R.W. Payne (Sr., Sp), 2B--Ryan Greer (So., Ch), 3B--Jacob Neal (So., Ct); SS--Clay Keranen (Sr., Ct); C--Bryan Tinder (Sr., Ca); DH--Steven Barlow (Sr., Ch), Theo Klopsis (Sr., KG).

Honorable mention: P--Jason Morgan (Fr., Ch), Tanner May (Jr., EV), Geoff Ward (Sr., EV), Travis Weaver (Sr., Ct); OF--Damion Carroll (Jr., KG), Trevor Talley (Jr., Sp), Nick Zaluzney (Jr., Ct), Dan Kyser (Sr., JM); 1B--Charlie Peavley (So., Cu), Joe Stevens (Sr., EV); 2B--Lucas Weaver (So., Sp), Travis Writt (Sr., JM); 3B--Tyler Daig (Jr., Ca); SS--Steven Barlow (Sr., Ch), Theo Klopsis (Sr., KG), Chris Ardiente (Sr., Sp); C--Tyler Truslow (Jr., KG), Joe Steven (Sr., EV); DH--Tee Beasley (Jr., Ca); UT--Tee Beasley (Jr., Ca).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.