Skip to main content

I know it is early but any thoughts on the Spring season? Fall ball wraps up for GSBA this weekend, we are doing three all star games against Manchester Colt League all star teams on Sunday and then we are done, personally I am really looking forward to the spring, I hate the winter.

Both Nashua schools look like they will be strong again. Londonderry has graduated a lot of members of their championship squad, but have a very talented crop of underclassmen ready to go. Salem, the Treff-Poore combo made it to the State Finals last year and are back and focused. Merrimack looks like they will be competative this fall, this kid Pat Parker is a real gamer, spent 15 minutes talking about him with AB's Bobby Tewksbary on Sunday, and the thing that really impressed us both about this kid is how much he likes playing, a gamer is the best way to describe this kid, if you have a chance to see him this spring do. BG, again they have the guns the question will be can they do it on the field.

Bedford everyone knows they have the arms, between Maher and Olen thats a great 1 - 2 punch what many might know is that the guy I expect to be their third starter Ryan Gancarz is very talented too. Question will be offense for the Bull Dogs, I had a chance to watch Andy Lalonde play this fall, 15 year old Monster who mashes, they absolutely need to get this kid at bats entering his Soph year. Portsmouth, cant be easy losing guys like Montville and Jones about as easy as it is for Londonderry to lose Fisher and Lagasse, but I imagine both teams will find a way to win. Souhegan is returning a strong team. HB had a young team last year after a year of growing pains they will be ready to go in 2011.

Hopkinton, I have been talking about this group of kids McManus, Broom, Bonafont and McCormack, they are Juniors now, with play off experience expect Hopkinton to be very tough this year. Somersworth will also be a tough squad this year with guys like Colbert and Horning they will continue where they left off. Finally Winnisquam......Jordan Cote, the kid was absoletly dominate last June.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think Team AB is going to be solid again this year. We graduated some talent including the Class L Player of the Year and the Nashua Telegraph Player of the Year as well as a handful of first and second team guys, but we still have the returning ISL Offensive POY and many rising varsity guys who are going to make a splash. Big Grin

I have no problem sticking my neck out for Pat Parker's swing and work ethic. I've seen him play sparingly, including this Sunday and in the Showcase League's all-star game. I've had a chance to see him live, review the video and I've done some homework on his work habits. He has one of the top swings in the state and he put up numbers in the Showcase League swinging wood. Seems like he enjoys hitting in big situations. (I believe he had the top average in the NH division?) I can't wait to get him in for some bat speed and ball exit speed testing and see how he stacks up to the other ABers. He was solid at 3B too. (We had a single-A player in today who hit 97 and a former indy guy in who hit 98 last week. Top high school speed to date is 95.)

On Hopkinton, we played them this fall and they did a nice job. Very well coached, very fundamentally strong team. Bonafont shoved against us. Not overpowering, but he pitches... can be very deceiving. All their guys threw strikes and made the plays defensively. With wood, that wins games. Still young, but definitely growing and the ceiling seems high.
Well Nashua North should be strong again as they only graduated 3 players from last years team. But two of them will be huge shoes to fill on the hill in McGowan and Morency. Turner should slide in nicely into the top of the rotation and junior Jake Mellin should fill the # 2 spot. Junior Matt Lipkin should get first shot at the #3 spot. Sophomore Lefty Kyle McCarthy could see some innings as well. Not an overly hard thrower but very crafty and just seems to frustrate teams. (I'd love to say their other sophomore lefty will make a splash but he will be recovering from Tommy john surgery instead! Keep an eye out for him in 2012 though!)

The offense should still be good with Tarantino at the top of the order and Breen and Turner in the middle of the lineup. Should be a good battle for playing time behind the dish as Fortin will push Leith for more playing time.

BG is in good hands with coach Painter leading the way. He should be fair and keep the kids loose and playing well.
Portsmouth lost 3 senior starters from last years team, Jones, Montville and Gonzalves. The 7 remaining starters (including DH) were juniors (3) and sophomores (4). Taylor and O'Leary will be a solid one - two on the mound and watch for sophomore Ricky Holt. Bedford and Souhegan both look strong in class I. And of course St. Thomas is always solid. Not sure if any of these teams will move up but if not it should be a shoot out in class I (or D2).
Sleeper in Class L or Div I as it's now called. Dover will make the playoff's and could actually make some noise in the tournament. Seawards can pitch and has alot of pop at the plate. Ferdette and Carlberg provide speed at the top of the order.
Class M(Division III) will see the same four teams in the semi's. Hopkinton, Winnisquam, and Somersworth are the best. Somersworth loses two seniors on a team that didn't lose tell the ship. They had two players on the bench that will be as good as the seniors who left. The only drop off is losing Parma, Junior Josh Jaques will be the number one pitcher, he is as good as Parma, with better command. Lefties Colbert, Shatinsky, and righty Doxter round out the pitching staff. It's always great to have a catcher starting who has been starting varsiy since his sophmore year in Horning.
They averaged 10 runs a game last year, I would expect the same. If they can get a hit on Winnisquams Jordan Cote, they should win it all.
Souhegan definitely should be solid with Shagrin and Dugdale. They will have a new catcher so that can always be a factor. Will the younger Hansis be the Varsity catcher this year?

Milford will be young again but they have some young arms that got experience at the varsity level last year. If I remember correctly Stroehlein is now a junior and Danforth and Stagnone are only sophomores and they had a freshman catcher too. In another year they will probably surprise some people.

Hollis/Brookline will be young too. Their top returning pitcher, Chase, is only a junior. They'll probably have a few sophomores behind him on the rotation. They do have a very talented backstop in Glover which will help with a young staff and Glover did pitch a little last year. It will be interesting to see if they will keep using him in a pitching role now that he will be behind the plate.

Bedford seems to definitely be the talk of the division based on all the names. With Olen and Maher as well as Gancarz, Mossman, Husband, Harrington as well as a young player like Lalonde and probably a couple more names I'm forgetting, they seem to deserve all the pre-season hype... but I'm sure Portsmouth, St. Thomas and now Goffstown will be there as well.

Unfortunately we now need to wait another 5 months before we start seeing what really happens...

BAC
I just want to respond to an earlier post, this seems to be a common comment each year when talking about teams. Majority of the contributors on this website are parents of current players, these people typically post about their son's teams, then myself and a few others have experience with a larger group of players and try our best to recognize as many players and their abilities and their high school teams as possible. With that said, no one on here is slighting any players or teams, if you want to discuss a team, share with the rest of us that is what we are all here to read about, and again no slight to any player, coach or program. I personally try to discuss as many programs, players and coaches as possible. No slight or indication that those not mentioned are not as talented or not worth mentioning. I just think we should discuss players and teams instead of why others aren't talking about certain kids or teams. For the record, yes Pembroke does look strong going into the high school season. The area baseball program has worked very hard over the past 4 or 5 years to develop talent, and make baseball a stronger program, I know this from my experiences with Suncook in the Summer and Fall leagues over that period.
I heard the Pembroke Head Coach just resigned from the program, and stepped away from the Concord legion program. There is word he took the assistant coaching position at Colby-Sawyer College.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Granite State Baseball Association:
For the record, yes Pembroke does look strong going into the high school season. The area baseball program has worked very hard over the past 4 or 5 years to develop talent, and make baseball a stronger program, I know this from my experiences with Suncook in the Summer and Fall leagues over that period.
G S B A wrote earlier that the Treff-Poore combo made it to the state final last year. To think that Salem is just two stars and a group of other players would be a mistake. While they are certainly the most recognizable names on the roster they would be the first to tell you that it takes nine to win. Some names to watch for this year, Downing , Loguidice, Dipalma, Dunn, Peters , Bouvier. As well as Joe Morin , one of the purest hitters in class L. There are two or three sophmores who will also push for playing time. Easy to say that in November I think they will be very good, but they are a hard working bunch who seem to be focused on taking the next step. Again , it is only November and spring is a long way off but it's still cool to talk baseball.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.