Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Right on Bird,much more competitive.I am with Midlo on this one "sheez".Seems like some tag team going on here,who is cutting the grass?I understand there is a 7th or 8th grader at Norfolk Collegiate that has made a verbal to UNC,UVA and Wake,I think his dad should tell them now so they can save a ticket?I am just passing this on.I heard this.Can someone help create the buzz,please?This could rival Notre Dame's post?Get out of the way 09s'10s'
Let me be clear: I'm not ragging on the kid at all. What I'm saying is, to get a commitment in his sophomre year at all, and especially NOW, before he's even played a game this year, indicates objectively that he must be one heckuva player.

Someone let me know if/when he plays up in the Richmond area, because I will mark my calendar and try to be there to see him in person.

But as for UNC being done recruiting 2011's, don't be silly. Maybe done for right now, but there's no way they have 10-12 guys already committed in that class.
Please,it's not the young man.The humor is how "early" the kids are expected to show now.I thought Junior year was early,now we are searching even earlier.Please get away from the kid,I am sure he is very talented,that is the essence of this site.Certainly,with respect to Redbird,he wouldn't post otherwise.I am simply "sheez",this must be the start of the season post,good luck to all.
This has been going on in basketball for a while. In baseball, I don't know how anyone would think they could know enough about a kid as a sophomore to commit to him.

My fear is that the kid may end up with the rug pulled out from under him if he doesn't produce on the field the next two springs and summers.

I have posted here several times that I am not opposed to early commitments as long as both sides have done their homework and they are sure. Some have said they wouldn't commit as a junior and my position has been, the trend towards earlier commitments is here to stay and if you're not careful things could pass you by; teams might fill their needs before you get around to being ready. But December of your sophomore year? That makes me nervous.

Still, I will say that if a top college program sees enough of you at that age to know it wants you, you must be one very special talent. And I want to see that talent on the field if I get a chance. So, somebody post his schedule here sometime, because I know that team comes up our way on occasion.
I am the head coach for the 2011 Dirtbags. We have 3 2011's that have verballed so far. Mikal Hill a mif / cf to USC , George Carter a Lhp / 1B and Adam Griffin a RHP / Of to UNC. These are the only two 2011 players that have verballed to UNC in this class so far.

These three players played this fall with the 2010 team some and with the 2011 team some. They clearly stood out. Griffin sits 88-90 on the hill and touches low 90's. He probaly projects more as a pitcher at the next level , we will see. Carter is a big strong Lhp that is middle upper 80s with a terrific hook. He is a very physically strong player with an advanced approach at the plate with tremendous power. Hill is a slick mif that can also play the outfield very well. He hits from the leftside and can run. The kid is very very good. In all three of these situations the kids were offered by the school they dreamed of playing at. They are tremendous players already and I expect they are only going to get better.

UNC is far from being done recruiting in the 2011 class.
While I am wary of anyone committing that early on, I have to say that if you're getting a commitment from UNC, it's hard to imagine how anyone could ever regret the choice. Top program, top school, outstanding coaches, new facilities, great alumni network to look forward to as a future graduate.

And I suppose if we're going to have kids committing that early on, the first wave will come from the most elite travel teams, and in NC at least the Dirtbags are top dog.
The Daily Press (online) had a nice article on Jake Cave. He had some very impressive stats last year at Hampton Christian and apparently pitched very well at the 16U tournament at East Cobb. He was named co-MVP pitcher with another Canes player.

Perfect Game rated him as the top 2011 player in Virginia and 16th in the country.
I don't follow that level of HS baseball in VA very much, but did his Hampton Christian team win the VISAA State Championship? If so, is it safe to assume he was their ace and that he carried them? Finally, was there any attempt by UVA or any of the NC or SC schools to offer to beat LSU to the punch?

More generally, it is remarkable when a kid can run a 6.40 sixty or throw 93+ at the age of 14 or 15. Remarkable. REMARKABLE. I recall Peter Verdin doing that sort of thing for West Potomac as a 15 year-old frosh (he transferred to PVI the next year) and was astonished. Peter went on to all sorts of honors and success and was a starter on the UGA Bulldogs as a frosh. So, some of these kids are clearly projectable. But to have that sort of physical talent given to you is quite a gift. It opens all sorts of doors of opportunity that allow one to compete at the highest levels of competition from a very early age. The only question for the recruiter is whether there any "upside" remaining? Has the kid peaked at age 15 or 16? Can he take time off the sixty or add velocity? Is he at risk for repetitive use injuries? By the time he's a senior, is he physically or mentally exhausted and ready to call it a career?

There are alot of slow-maturing kids who, when they are 20 or 21, will be at the same level as these boy-wonders (that said in a most positive way!). These slow maturers may also have a work ethic and a store of energy that will allow them to maximize their talent and skill at the college or minor league level on a climb to the majors. There are a thousand and one factors that will come into play for all of these players, early bloomers and late bloomers. I guess that is why the recruiters get paid--to figure all of that out.

Congratulations to the 2011s--what gifts and what opportunities. Be thankful, work hard, get better--someone is always trying to catch you.
rhobbs, yes, I believe Hampton Christian won the VISAA State Championship, and Jake Cave was their player of the year. The Daily Press article indicated he considered ECU, UNC, South Carolina and UV. It also stated LSU offered more than 90%. Did not mention that the other schools had offered him anything, but I presume at least one of them had. If they did not, shame on them. Reading between the lines of the Daily Press article, I got the impression that LSU saw him at the World Wooden Bat Tournament and made him a quick and staggering offer. Must have been very hard to compete with the 2009 national champs.
Last edited by El gato
I may be in the minority, but I do not believe it is necessarily too early. Florida has oral commitments from several 2012s. Most if not all live and play in Florida. Florida has probably seen the players since they were 12 or so and has recruited the top players. Why not get them early before other schools see them? How many times do you need to see a kid play to determine whether or not he can compete? Can you blame the kid for committing to a top university like UF? My major concerns would be the number of other commits, which is a problem at certain universities, and whether or not the coaches will still be there when the player enters the school as a freshman.

Similarily, the 2011 Virginia oral commits are for the most part the top players in Virginia. They, too, have been playing since they were 10 or 12 for all to watch. Barring injury, they are probably not going to get worse, only better with competition and practice.
Last edited by WB Reporter
I read that Nicholas Thompson (Western Branch) committed to East Carolina University. Congrats to both Nicholas and Coach Godwin.

By my count, that makes five (top perfect game) Virginia players in the class of 2011 to commit to out of state schools - Jake Cave to LSU, TJ Costen and Kevin White to South Carolina, and Shawn Morimando and Nick Thompson to East Carolina University. Do not know what is more interesting - that the players all committed to out of state schools or that none of them committed to an ACC school?

Coach Godwin is acquiring a few arms/players at ECU. Austin Chrismon, a Menchville senior, will be joining the Pirates next year, and Shawn and Nick will be joining the Pirates the following year. Is Nick going as infielder, pitcher or both?
Last edited by El gato
I don't think either UVA or Tech are necessarily averse to early commitments. But UVA will not get into bidding wars for the stud guys. Tech, on the other hand, has not reached a point where a guy like Jake Cave would have them on his short list.

Not knowing the boys involved, I cannot speak to their grades and such, but you might also consider that a kid who can get into ECU or LSU might not pass admissions at UVA or Tech.

My daughter just applied to ECU, during the course of which we learned that they accept 88% of all applicants. You don't get that kind of ratio at UVA or Tech.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.