Skip to main content

Overall there was a strong showing at the event and great interest in next year. This is going in the right direction to offer an opportunity for underclassmen to get on the radars of numerous colleges. A special thanks to Shawn Manfredo and Mike Campo for their efforts in this to help keep it a free event.
Enjoy the summer....
Last edited by Ironwill
Just a thought, so people understand the level of competition... Perhaps keeping a summary would be nice. That is - there were 3 players in the 84-88 range, there were 6 players in the 80-84 range, and 4 in the 76-79 range (just pulling numbers out of the air). Draw the parallel to what colleges want - at least in terms of speed for each Division. If you can pass the speed test, then it's grades and character.

In the future when someone "asks" to be involved they'll at least know/understand the ranges you're looking for.
Want to pitch in college? Throw harder than 85. Throw less than that and you better have serious run/sink. Want to make it an easy decision for coaches to recruit you? Throw harder 87 or higher.

Throw 90 if you want to remove all doubt. You will get recruited if you throw 90.

If I am at a game with my radar gun, I will not stick my next out for a kid I don't know if he's throwing 82. And just because he is getting outs, it doesn't mean he will get college hitters out. As soon as 85-86 shows up, I start thinking of coaches who may be interested. 88+ shows up and I consider contacting D1 schools I know.

If you want to see where you stack up, compare yourself to current college players, not current high school players. Go to an NECBL game or a Futures League game. If you have a D1 school from Florida, Texas, California, Arizona, Virginia, even BC or UConn on your list, skip your next showcase and put the money toward gas, food and tickets to a Cape League game. You can even go to the Cape League All-Star game for $10 at Fenway on July 29. (http://www.capecodbaseball.org/archives/Arc2011/ASG/CCBL_AllStar_2011.htm) If you think you can play at those schools, INVEST in going to one of these games before you pay for a team offering "exposure." Be honest with yourself as to whether or not you could go on the field and compete with them.

Sorry for the rant. Kids can't compare themselves to other high school players when it comes to the recruiting world. Velocity of other high school players isn't all that relevant. You want to pitch at the D1 level, you need to get D1 hitters out. How many D1 hitters have you faced? Think of the top few couple in the state, face them 1-9. (For hitters, the pitcher that can get those guys out - face him every game.)
Last edited by BobbyTewks
Yes, throwing 90 is great, but it's not going to be reality for the vast majority of NH high school players.

Seeing the pitching speeds from this could be a confidence booster for many pitchers to help them with the remaining 1 or 2 years of high school. If they see that a pitcher considered one of the best for next year throws 81-82 or another one topped out at 85 it can be one more factor boosting their self confidence. Nothing replaces hard work, but if a pitcher knows he can throw as hard as the highly talked about NH HS pitchers it's one more thing to keep them confident.

It was interesting to see that the kid they almost didn't invite had the top speed.
NH Varsity Pitching Velocity "Guidelines"

Elite Tier - 90+
Top Tier - 86-89
Middle Tier - 81-85
Lower Tier - Mid 70s - 80

As soon as your first number is a 9, things change. Lefties get a break on velocity, probably -2 on the above.

You don't see 86 or higher very often. Most kids are throwing harder than 80. Kids below 80 need to hit spots, need to junk their way through innings.

For NH high school pitching, the highest number on my radar gun over the last two years has been 88. One time. First pitch of this year. That same pitcher was sitting at 81-83 by the end of the year.
Thanks for those numbers Bobby.

All the more reason it was good to see the numbers from the LHS Pitching Showcase. Those were real numbers.

During the year I saw a fair number of reports here indicating a pitcher was in the high 80's and a few hitting 90 during a game.

Some accurate numbers were good to see. There tend to be a few people talking up a player they like and sometimes the reported pitch speeds and overall performance don't match the hype once you see the player in person.
BB- I took them down due to parent concerns as well. Not all (obviously) but even one is enough. Next year we will ask permission, we didn't this year. This is still a developing event.

Bobby knows what he is talking about. Though he gave us his standards I would bet most scouts use them. The conditions were far from ideal with this showcase and it reflected in a majority of showings. I know one of the pitchers who threw at the event went to another one in the South a couple weeks later and threw 4 mph faster, from a reliable scout.

I understand what you are saying but my only issue with your posts is your slight slam on the whole Jaques thing. How many times do I have to repeat I go on recommendations if I can't see them in person. I don't know the Sommersworth coach at all so I went through other coaches that I was more familiar with first. Josh threw very well and I hope he gets numerous offers for colleges.
I would only ask you would have the decency not to complain about the event when it is free and done only with the best intentions in mind. Nobody makes a cent nor will they as long as I run it. If you want to complain please don't allow your son to participate if he were to get invited again. Nobody is forcing them.
Based solely on the numbers game, the majority of NH pitchers and players need to think D3. A select few can get D1/D2. In 2004, I took my oldest child to a Dynamite Sports seminar in town (google them). They talked about what you need for speed, grades, etc. The speed numbers they quoted back then still match what Bobby quoted. Even this year that works out with Turner, Poore, Maher, Cote... They sell a book that helps you understand the numbers game. Here's some numbers from the book

Speed: Home to first - 4.2 sec(RH), 4.1 sec (LH)
60Yd Dash - 6.7-6.9 sec

Arm Strength: FB 88-92+ for D1, 85-88 for D2
Must have more than 1 pitch, preferably 3 with command and control

Catchers: Home to Second: 2.0 sec

Stats: Batting .350 or better, ERA 2.50 or better

Scholarships (remember there are 5 years to graduate, so take these numbers and divide by 5 to determine the PER YEAR scholarships):

D1: 11.7 scholarships, 286 schools
D2: 9.0 scholarships, 224 schools
D3: 0.0 scholarships, 352 schools
NAIA: 12.0 scholarships, 201 schools
JC: 24.0 scholarships, 507 schools

If you are in the lower statistical numbers, then you have to do the work yourself to get noticed and you better have good grades and get a number of character references from coaches. At the Dynamite seminar the speaker made a comparison between two players #1 threw 85-87 and had a C average while #2 threw 82-84 and had an A average. The speaker said, they may go after the #2 player because they know that player will remain "eligible" academically and they could work to get that players numbers up. For a D3 school that #2 player is also likely to get academic scholarships to help defray the cost of education.

From personal experience, my son was in the 75-78 range last summer before he got serious about doing baseball related workouts. Last I knew he had put 5+ MPH on his FB, but it hasn't been easy. Neither was the process of recruiting, but he has great grades, got great SAT scores, and went to a solid high school. So perhaps he fits player #2 from above - think about it.

Add Reply

SPECIAL JUNE OFFER for HSBaseballWeb customers: Free batting gloves with every purchase!

Link copied to your clipboard.