Skip to main content

OCTOBER 29TH, SAN ANTONIO, TX 9AM

5TH YEAR OF THE SOUTH TEXAS PROFESSIONAL SCOUTS SHOWCASE. THIS SHOWCASE IS SUPERVISED BY WASHINGTON NATIONALS NATIONAL CROSS CHECKER JIMMY GONZALES AND OTHER AREA SCOUTS FROM TEXAS. THE SHOWCASE HAS SCOUTS FROM ALL 30 MAJOR LEAGUE TEAMS , THE MAJOR LEAGUE SCOUTING BUREAU, AND TYPICALLY 50 OR MORE COLLEGE PROGRAMS. THIS IS THE BEST SHOWCASE IN THE SOUTH TEXAS AREA BY FAR. THERE IS A MODEST CHARGE OF 75.00 FOR THE EVENT. EACH YEAR ALL THE MONEY COLLECTED HAS WENT TO A CHARITY. THE FIRST THREE YEARS(BRIAN WILSON MEMORIAL FUND), LAST YEAR (JAYDENS JOURNEY FOR KIDS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS). IF YOU WANT TO BE SEEN BY PRO SCOUTS AND COLLEGE COACHES, THIS IS THE ONE!!

ALL THE INFO. IS ON JIMSCOUT.COM WHERE YOU CAN ALSO REGISTER FOR THE SHOWCASE.
CAPACITY IS 250 PLAYERS AND IT HAS FILLED UP EACH YEAR, LAST YEAR IS 2 WEEKS!! REGISTER NOW BECAUSE ONCE IT'S FULL THEY MAKE NO EXCEPTIONS.

ASK PARENTS OR PLAYERS THAT HAVE ATTENDED THIS EVENT

JIMSCOUT.COM
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I wanted to say thank you to Jimmy Gonzales for putting this on. This has to be one of the best, if not the best, showcases for the money spent. My wife counted forty-two scouts and coaches behind the screens during the pitcher's portion of the showcase. It was very well organized and the pitchers had plenty of time to warm up prior to their bullpens this year.

We had six players from my son's school make the trip to San Antonio. All of the parents were amazed at the number of coaches and scouts for an event that only cost $75, all of which went to charity.
Last edited by LadsDad
We also made the trip to San Antonio on the way to Houston for a Showcase. I do aggree that there were a lot of Scouts there. Saw at least 4 MLB Scouts and the rest were some Div.1 and lots of Juco Scouts as well. As far as the way it was ran I would have to disagree with some of the events that transpired. My son who plays middle infield, also plays outfield and pitches. He was told to pick one and that was it. We did however convince one the coaches that he pitches and was given only about 5 minutes to warm up. Also could not hear what Jimmy Gonzales and some of the other speakers were saying when they addressed the parents. Location was not ideal for about 200 young men to showcase their talents. Busy and loud road right next to field made it hard to hear. Maybe a megaphone or loudspeaker would have made this event better. Also the boys had a hard time hearing what the Coaches and Scouts wanted from across the field. Ladsdad, not sure if you stayed for the whole thing since your son pitches, but most PO's left right after their pitching exhibition. This Showcase could have been run a little better by having half of the boys running their 60 and the other half doing infield velocity or catcher's pop time. We arrived at the field at 8 a.m. sharp and did not leave until 4 p.m. and there were still at least 30 or so boys that needed to showcase their BP skills. I do aggree that the $75 was worth the money but a little more organization would have made this run a little more smoother. Also unlike the PG Showcases where a player who plays either middle infield, outfield,pitches or catches can show their skills, this Showcase was limited to 2 positions and you had to pull teeth to get them to let you do more than 2 positions.
quote:
Originally posted by planoeast86:
We also made the trip to San Antonio on the way to Houston for a Showcase. I do aggree that there were a lot of Scouts there. Saw at least 4 MLB Scouts and the rest were some Div.1 and lots of Juco Scouts as well. As far as the way it was ran I would have to disagree with some of the events that transpired. My son who plays middle infield, also plays outfield and pitches. He was told to pick one and that was it. We did however convince one the coaches that he pitches and was given only about 5 minutes to warm up. Also could not hear what Jimmy Gonzales and some of the other speakers were saying when they addressed the parents. Location was not ideal for about 200 young men to showcase their talents. Busy and loud road right next to field made it hard to hear. Maybe a megaphone or loudspeaker would have made this event better. Also the boys had a hard time hearing what the Coaches and Scouts wanted from across the field. Ladsdad, not sure if you stayed for the whole thing since your son pitches, but most PO's left right after their pitching exhibition. This Showcase could have been run a little better by having half of the boys running their 60 and the other half doing infield velocity or catcher's pop time. We arrived at the field at 8 a.m. sharp and did not leave until 4 p.m. and there were still at least 30 or so boys that needed to showcase their BP skills. I do aggree that the $75 was worth the money but a little more organization would have made this run a little more smoother. Also unlike the PG Showcases where a player who plays either middle infield, outfield,pitches or catches can show their skills, this Showcase was limited to 2 positions and you had to pull teeth to get them to let you do more than 2 positions.

Your points are valid and are hopefully considered as constructive criticism. However, there were so many young men there that it would have been very difficult for a multitude of players to showcase more than one position. Had we payed more or been given promises of something different than what occurred, you might have a case. I think that things ran very well and met the expectations of most. The meeting held next to the 1B dugout was simply a shoutout to a couple of the sponsors of the event. I believe one was a recruiting service and the other was a professional trainer. Nothing pertinent to the showcase was discussed. I hope you guys did well in Houston.
quote:
Originally posted by planoeast86:

We had position players that arrived at 8am and immediately contacted people with the showcase and were told that they could pitch after the Pitcher Onlys finished, if there was still time left. They had plenty of time to warm up as they were the last ones to pitch. I don't know how your son did not have time to warm up unless you checked too late.

The pitchers and catchers were addressed at 8:30 and had time to stretch, long toss and bull pen if they desired. The pitchers began throwing in front of scouts a little after 9:00. My son was one of the very first to go and he had plenty of time to do all three things to warm up.

Postings from previous years warned that it would be an all day event as the scouts and coaches want to see all of the players perform all of the events. The scouts control the showcase and can ask to see certain players in front of others. We left after all of the pitchers finished and I warned others with us to be ready for a long day and don't make other plans.

I still feel that it was an incredible value for even one position at $75 dollars, especialy when the money is a donation to charity.
Last edited by LadsDad
Curious...

When referencing value per cost, what factors determine this?

Examples???

Number of scouts per dollars spent?

What type of scouts increase or decrease this value?

Number of BP pitches or pitches thrown off the mound?

Ground balls/fly balls?

Information a parent can gain? Hand outs flyers? Motivational or instructional speeches?

Did your son sign a letter of intent with scholarship? Pro contract signed?

Concession stand? Menu/Service? Hot dog type?

I'm just really confused when someone says "we spent $XX and it was well worth it!". Or, "we spent $XX and were disappointed."

How?
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
Ladsdad,

Great to hear your son like the event. Again I am not here to bash an event, but have you ever been to a PG Showcase? There were at least 15+ teams with about 12+ players on each team. They were able to shuffle in about 250+ players in only about a day and half plus 2 scrimmages. My son was listed as MIF. On the application it said to list only one position and not two or more. I emailed the South Texas Showcase and they said that he could also pitch to show up. Upon registration, my son mentioned that he pitches and was told to go ahead and show up with the pitchers. He was denied the opportunity by the check in lady. After talking with some of the people running the showcase, they also said he could pitch after the showcase. Then an official came over and told him he had 5 minutes to warm up and throw. Again, not bashing this event, but until you have been to a PG Showcase there is no comparison.
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Guthrie:
Curious...

Examples???

Ground balls/fly balls?

Information a parent can gain? Hand outs flyers? Motivational or instructional speeches?

I'm just really confused when someone says "we spent $XX and it was well worth it!". Or, "we spent $XX and were disappointed."

How?

Gut,
Value is typically based on amount spent versus the quality gained. This event in particular was inexpensive as compared to other showcases and offered a quality opportunity the players. Simple enough.
quote:
Originally posted by Catcherz_Dad:
quote:
Curious...

Examples???

Ground balls/fly balls?

How?

Gut,
Value is typically based on amount spent versus the quality gained. This event in particular was inexpensive as compared to other showcases and offered a quality opportunity the players. Simple enough.

Understood.

And I would think any event put on by an MLB Crosschecker is going to be worth while regardless of any costs involved.

But when you say quality, what is quality to parents?

For example, if a player goes to a camp that has 300 college/pro scouts on a big league field that is well ran at $***...does that constitute value or quality?

Or is it simply if a player gains an opportunity at the next level desired from said event?

Because if I'm sending a kid to any event...

I don't care if it's on a sandlot with 1 scout in attendance...

If the kid gains an opportunity... that is where the quality or value is created for me.

Hence, in the end, it really doesn't matter where, who, how, or what is involved...

If the kid can play...good baseball people can see it a mile away and will take notice.

Worrying about warm up time, loud speakers, length of event, etc. are all excuses for an opportunity expected that may not have happened.
I thought the showcsae was great. Granted, it was the first showcase I took my son to, but overall, thought it was run well. It was fun to see my son compared to others from the area, and from outside the area. I heard comments from Oklahoma, Dallas and other places. Everyone wants their son to be noticed, and believe they are the best which is why they are there. I saw some kids from last season and summer leagues I know are good players, which makes it great for scouts to compare the players. For myself I couldn't think of a better way to spend a day than watching my son compete against other players or playing a game. My son said he enjoyed it also.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Catcherz_Dad:
quote:
Curious...

Examples???

Ground balls/fly balls?

How?

Gut,

Understood.

And I would think any event put on by an MLB Crosschecker is going to be worth while regardless of any costs involved.

But when you say quality, what is quality to parents?

For example, if a player goes to a camp that has 300 college/pro scouts on a big league field that is well ran at $***...does that constitute value or quality?

Or is it simply if a player gains an opportunity at the next level desired from said event?

Because if I'm sending a kid to any event...

I don't care if it's on a sandlot with 1 scout in attendance...

If the kid gains an opportunity... that is where the quality or value is created for me.

Hence, in the end, it really doesn't matter where, who, how, or what is involved...

If the kid can play...good baseball people can see it a mile away and will take notice.

Worrying about warm up time, loud speakers, length of event, etc. are all excuses for an opportunity expected that may not have happened.

I very much agree with your final statement there, Gut. I often times hear from dads whose sons fail to capitalize on an opportunity say that they didn't get a chance to shine or that the showcase was set up just to highlight pitchers, etc. When in fact, they just didn't take advantage of the opportunities that they were given.

Back to value vs opportunity: In this event in particular, it was structured so that each position was evaluated (or viewed) by every scout individually. Meaning, that when the pitchers threw, all of the scouts watched; and when the outfielders threw, all of the scouts watched, etc. Very often, there are a myriad of events taking place and the scouts are spread out over multiple fields and can't watch each player perform.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.