Skip to main content

These are by far the worse Bowl matches I think I have seen in YEARS. Horrible.

Allstate Sugar Bowl
Florida (11-1) vs. Louisville (10-2)

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
Kansas St. (11-1) vs. Oregon (11-1)

Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio
Stanford (11-2) vs. Wisconsin (8-5)

Discover Orange Bowl
N. Illinois (12-1) vs. Florida St. (11-2)

Capital One Bowl
Georgia (11-2) vs Nebraska (10-3)

Maybe the Tostito Bowl is the best of the bunch.

"The difference between excellence and mediocrity is commitment." Twitter: @KwwJ829

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by justbaseball:
Planning to go to the Rose Bowl. #Stanford Cool

There are a significant number of K-State Alumi in the Phoenix area thanks to Motorola's recruiting efforts in the 80's and 90's.

My wife is an alumni and asked how we could get tickets. I suspect there are probably a good 8-10K locals who will be wearing purple at the game.
quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
I don't know if these are good or bad but I can definitely say there are WAY too many bowl games.

I'll be honest, I never understood this thinking. If you like college football there would never be too many bowl games.

Here is my reasoning. I love watching college football. Next week the regular season ends with Army-Navy. After that, all that is left are bowl games. Would I rather there be 15 games left or 35 games. Lets say that on December 15th it is 35 degrees and raining here in St Louis. Would I rather watch Arizona play Nevada in the New Mexico Bowl, or maybe figure skating on NBC? Or I guess I could go Christmas shopping or help my wife wrap presents. Even if I did the latter, the game would be on in the background.

To me this would be the same thing as saying there is too much college baseball on if there were three games televised every Saturday and Sunday March-May on ESPNU.

Now, as for the argument that making a bowl game doesnt mean as much as it used to? I guess that argument could be made.
quote:
Originally posted by Mizzoubaseball:
quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
I don't know if these are good or bad but I can definitely say there are WAY too many bowl games.

I'll be honest, I never understood this thinking. If you like college football there would never be too many bowl games.

Here is my reasoning. I love watching college football. Next week the regular season ends with Army-Navy. After that, all that is left are bowl games. Would I rather there be 15 games left or 35 games. Lets say that on December 15th it is 35 degrees and raining here in St Louis. Would I rather watch Arizona play Nevada in the New Mexico Bowl, or maybe figure skating on NBC? Or I guess I could go Christmas shopping or help my wife wrap presents. Even if I did the latter, the game would be on in the background.

To me this would be the same thing as saying there is too much college baseball on if there were three games televised every Saturday and Sunday March-May on ESPNU.

Now, as for the argument that making a bowl game doesnt mean as much as it used to? I guess that argument could be made.

I hear you and I don't totally disagree with you. However, as much as I don't want to be, I am kind of a sentimental guy. I fondly remember certain things from my childhood and I often lament things aren't the same today.

Personally, I never really cared who the #1 team was at the end of the year. I enjoyed the tradition of the UNSPONSORED bowls. Sugar, Rose, Orange, Cotton, etc. I grew up a Big 10 fan and loved the Rose Bowl with the Pac 10 champ vs. the Big 10 champ. The Rose Parade (when the annoying announcers shut up) is my all-time favorite parade.

I also felt playing in a bowl game was a privilege that had to be earned. This year there are 35 games. That means that 70 teams have bowls. If there's so much hype over who's #1, who the heck wants to watch #69 play #70?

Plus, look at some of these records. 12 teams are in at 6-6. They could only win 1/2 of their games. And get this...Georgia Tech is in at 6-7. They have a LOSING record and they get a bowl? Crazy.

Getting back to sponsorships. I despise them. Comiskey Park is Comiskey Park. If they ever add a sponsorship to Wrigley, Fenway or Yankee Stadium I just might have to organize my own Million Man March.

Check out some of these ridiculous-sounding games:

Belk Bowl - what the hell is a belk?
BBVA Compass Bowl - ditto
Gildan New Mexico Bowl - ditto again
Go Daddy Bowl - sorry, Danica is gross
Even the hallowed Rose Bowl is now the Rose Bowl Game Presented by Visio

And Sports Illustrated's next issue can have this "Sign of the Apocalypse:" The San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl. Now they're just making **** up!

I understand the desire to watch more football if you're a fan. I just think they're going too far.
Last edited by biggerpapi
I love the bowls... if i had the money i'd go to one every year and make a vacation out of it. back to the OP... those could be great games! if you think Wisconsin is going to get pushed around because they lost 5 games i think you'll be surprised... take a look at how they lost; it's a weird year for them yes, but i really think they will prove that every game is different and either team can win (byu vs. notre dame for example)

Bring on the bowl season!!! it's fun!!
Biggerpapi, I agree with everything you said. But as a fan of college football, I try to overlook the many flaws you bring up about bowls and try to enjoy my last chance at watching college football until Labor Day weekend.

I too, remember waking up on New Years Day and there being the last of games on that day. It seemed the Cotton Bowl started about 10 and you could watch until around 11 that night with the Orange and Sugar Bowl on late. I even remember the Orange Bowl always had the crazy half time shows.
quote:
Originally posted by Mizzoubaseball:
Biggerpapi, I agree with everything you said. But as a fan of college football, I try to overlook the many flaws you bring up about bowls and try to enjoy my last chance at watching college football until Labor Day weekend.

I too, remember waking up on New Years Day and there being the last of games on that day. It seemed the Cotton Bowl started about 10 and you could watch until around 11 that night with the Orange and Sugar Bowl on late. I even remember the Orange Bowl always had the crazy half time shows.

I see. So you're a "glass is half full" kinda guy.

I'm a "glass is half empty" kinda guy. Not only that, but when I'm done with the drink, then I have to wash the **** glass!
I remember in the early days of cable the channel selector boxes attached with a cord. I once watched two games simultaneously by punching a button after each tackle. One game was always snapping the ball while the other game was huddling. I did this for three and a half hours every play. Then I got in trouble. The box broke from from abuse. This strategy would never work today with the no huddle.

Does anyone else remember before ESPN when cable sports news was teletype box scores provided by the local cable company? I lived in Maine when we got cable. It meant we got Channel 8 (abc) clearly and Channels 38 and 56 from Boston. 38 and 56 meant more Sox, Celtics and Bruins games. Afterall, TV38 is what's Bruin.
Last edited by RJM
quote:
Originally posted by golfball:
quote:
Kansas St. (11-1) vs. Oregon (11-1)

This might be the most entertaining bowl game to watch of all of them.

Don't like Oregon one bit, but they are capable of blowing nearly anyone out and making it not a very good game.

Who knows? But it wouldn't surprise me if that happens. And it often happens in the 2nd half.
Last edited by justbaseball
For those who believe there are too many bowl games with mediocre teams, I agree. But you have the option not to tune in. You can look at bowl game matchups and predict what you think will be the good games. But you never know. It's why I check the mid third period scores of every game to see if there's a potential great ending unfolding.

I remember back in 78 (had to look up the year by using the score) Oklahoma was supposed to clock Arkansas in the Orange Bowl due to suspension of several key Arkansas players. A third string running back ran for over 200 yards leading Arkansas to a 31-6 victory over #2 Oklahoma. Had OU won they would have won the national championship. #1 had lost earlier in the day.

My view of the game was some suspended players learned they weren't bigger than the team and life went on just fine without them.
Last edited by RJM
Having been to some bowl games in recent past...and planning to go to Rose Bowl this year. The BEST thing about them is the atmosphere around them...days ahead of time, hours before game time on game day, tailgating and in-stadium during game.

It is a huge party where old friends see each other again...alums, people from the same background. It feels a bit like Christmas...the anticipation leading up to the game.

Its some of the absolute most fun I've had as an adult. Even when my team has lost. Just a blast and something I will remember for a long, long time.
Last edited by justbaseball
quote:
Originally posted by justbaseball:
Having been to some bowl games in recent past...and planning to go to Rose Bowl this year. The BEST thing about them is the atmosphere around them...days ahead of time, hours before game time on game day, tailgating and in-stadium during game.

It is a huge party where old friends see each other again...alums, people from the same background. It feels a bit like Christmas...the anticipation leading up to the game.

Its some of the absolute most fun I've had as an adult. Even when my team has lost. Just a blast and something I will remember for a long, long time.
I used to go to the Holiday Bowl and the Rose Bowl. It was a lot of fun. One of my memories of the Holiday Bowl was a year I didn't attend. I left after work to drive to SLC for a week of skiing. BYU was playing in the Holiday Bowl the following day. Coming at me on I-15 was a 100 mile caravan of BYU car lights.
Last edited by RJM
Good story about the BYU fans.

Last fall, my son had a game for perfect game on a Sunday morning in Cedar Rapids. After the game we headed south to go home. Nebraska had played at Wisconsin the night before, so we hit a huge caravan of RVs and what not heading back home. Luckily, at Iowa City, they hit I-80 heading west so we only had to deal with them for a few miles. Hundreds of cars, vans, and RVs. Those people support their Cornhuskers.
quote:
RJM said....For those who believe there are too many bowl games with mediocre teams, I agree. But you have the option not to tune in. You can look at bowl game matchups and predict what you think will be the good games.

I'm defintely in this (I'm not at all interested) category this year for the Bowl games. It is very frustrating that they wound up with these match ups I don't see one game beside Alabama and Notre Dame that I'm remotely interested in. They all look so lobsided including 'Bama and Notre Dame. Bama is going to thrash the Irish. I heard they have this really, really fast guy.

Last edited by fenwaysouth
CD - That is exactly why I started this thread! LOL

Fenway, I feel EXACTLY the way you do about the bowl games. I really really look forward to this time of year with all the bowl games. Our office has a college bowl games pool we do every year and it's always fun sitting around with my son figuring out who will win, where will the upsets be, etc.

But these games this year, sigh, have me kinda discouraged. I just don't see many that get me excited about watching. I HOPE HOPE HOPE that the National Championship is hard fought and exciting.

I'm still scratching my head over how Louisville got into the Sugar Bowl against Florida. Makes no sense at all to me. Guess it's a good thing Im not on the bowl selection committee! LOL

YGD
Way to go Louisville Cardinals! I was able to multi-task last night watching Louisville (more than) handle #3 Florida and rearrange my sock drawer for the new year.

I've changed my mind on this bowl season, and there have actually been one or two decent games. Oregon - KState (tonight) will most likely not be one of them with the Ducks giving 9.5 points. If Chip Kelly is a smart man, he will stay in Euguene and not wander to Buffalo, Cleveland or Kansas City.
Last edited by fenwaysouth

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.