Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Is it ever too early to start talking about baseball?

Division 1 is going to be an interesting league this year. Nashua North has to be the favorite going into the season. They are returning probably the best battery unit in the state with Jake Mellin pitching and Matt Fortin catching. They also return their lead off hitter in Louis Tarantino. I know all three of these boys can play. The big question with them will be who is going to step up to help replace that line up that lost Joe Breen and Brandon Karkhanis. Mellin isn't their only stud on the hill either they have a solid number two pitcher in Matt Lipkin. I think the player to watch out for this year at Nashua North is Kyle McCarthy. He is a solid lefty that can pop low 80s and has great movement with his off-speed stuff. If all three of them are throwing to their capability it is going to be tough facing North on any day of the week.

Londonderry has the one-two punch most coaches can only dream about. Dan Kinnon and Ryan Maloney are dominate pitchers anytime they step on the bump and have the ability of going the distance regularly. The big question for Londonderry is offense, besides Kinnon, they need other people to step up around him. Anyone that has seen Kinnon play knows he can clear the bases, if Jake Welch and Dan Cassidy have the years they are capable of Londonderry is going to be a scary team come playoffs.

Guertin could also be in consideration. They return Joe McCarthy, who is also tearing up the basketball floor right now, as a number one pitcher and they have a veteran catcher in Al McQuarrie behind the plate. They have some solid bats joining McCarthy and McQuarrie in the line up with Dennis Abelliera and Colin Reed. These boys could look to make some noise if they could find a solid number 2 pitcher.

Merrimack is going into a tough rebuilding year after losing Pat Parker and Spencer Damon, but I think they are going to be able to compete this year. They return their ace pitcher for the third straight year in Tommy Hudon. He has three full varsity seasons under his belt and will be extremely dangerous this year. The player to watch for at Merrimack is sophomore Micky Gasper. I am not sure where he will be placed in the field but this switch hitter really strokes the ball well.

I don't know much about Nashua South. They return Ted Christe as their ace, but I am not sure about who is behind him. They do however have one of the best young outfielder in the state in Nick Reed. This kid flies around the outfield and has an absolute HOSE. He is a great contact hitter with the ability to square a ball up. He is going to be fun to watch this spring.

Those are the teams that I know about, the others I am not sure. I think this year D1 is going to belong to the pitcher there are a lot of dominating pitchers out there.

My top player to watch this year is Dan Kinnon. I think he is going to end up being player of the year in Division 1. He can hit, pitch, field and run. He is the complete package, not to mention if you have ever played against him he is a class act. I have never seen a kid respect the game as much as he does when he plays. Dan is never running his mouth or throwing equipment, he plays the game the right way.
Nashua South has the big Lefty senior Jared Maloney and Junior Nick Penkala with Ted Christie in the rotation this season I believe.

Nashua North has a big hard throwing junior lefty (Mike Robert) vying for time on the mound after missing last year with Tommy John surgery and also Breen's possible replacement in Junior Joey Crowley who is returning after a knee injury and then a health issue. both should enter the season heathy and ready to play. North also will have several capable juniors and seniors off of their highly successful JV and freshman teams the past couple of years. Parker Jamison, Shannon Martin and Kelvin Rodriguez to name a few.
Salem will have an interesting team this year. Big gaps to fill losing Treff and Loguidice and Dipalma, (Nick doesn't count as they played most all of last year without him). They do return two starters from last year in Breen and Peters. Salem actually has some depth on the hill getting innings from Landers, Morin,Barbin and Gigante.They will also have decent speed and plenty of power. 3-6 will put up some numbers with Bouvier, Morin , Downing , and Gigante.The big question is replacing Treff. Sophmore White has looked really good for such a young player and he will be tested by fireballer Breen, but people feel he is ready.Things will be interesting this year in D1. Good call on Kinnon by the way, this kid is a class act.
How about Division II? Obviously Portsmouth would have to be the favorite again, even with losing Taylor, O'Leary, and McCann. St. Thomas will also be there again - I think the only real big loss is Pete Mucher. I would guess the conversation would also have to include Souhegan - they'll be in the mix just by having Dugdale healthy and pitching for them. Who else is going to be strong this year? I don't know much about Goffstown or HB. I think Bedford lost quite a few starting players from last year. The next tier could have Oyster River, Kennett, Hanover, and who else?
Don't underestimate Bedford this year Andy Lalonde is bigger, stronger, and faster and had a great showing in the prestigous Power Series showcase event in Arizona. Gancarz has been a solid starter coming back for his 3rd year, but a much bigger pitching load. Mossman has flown under the radar a lot especially after being named an All American by Baseball Factory and Baseball America. They also have some young players who will play well they have a legitamite shot with a solid group who has been around and young mix.
I'll try. We'll see if this is deleted.

Bedford's Lalonde is a middle of the line-up, impact player. Look out. From what I've see, Gancarz is an all around player, who can do a lot for a ballclub.
Is Mossman OK? Heard he may have been injured recently during a college showcase.

Goffstown should also be a contender with Connor Shaw and Adam Routhier. I saw Tyler Barss throw in the fall. He showed signs of being someone to keep an eye on. The Grizzlies also have some younger players who may impress.
Shaw is a good ballplayer who has pop a the plate and speed on the basepaths. Tyler Barrs is a good young pitcher for Goffstown kid has a great fastball. One player who may surprise some people is Nick Laruse. In regards to Mossman he was hurt in the All American game with a case of rotator cuff tendonitis heard he began throwing again the other day though.
Tim, to answer your question about the Manchester teams.

Central will have a lot of depth at the plate if everyone can perform like they are capable of. Zach Mitsopolous is a kid to watch out for. He rips the cover off the ball. They also need Stephen Szelog to have a repeat of his outstanding 2011 season. Like you mentioned John Poissant will more then likely have the leadership role of this team along with Joey Provencher. On the hill they are thin with Provencher as their ace, senior Chris Lekkas, and then from there they will be mixing and matching.

Trinity should be a decent team, but nothing like the way they used to be. They have a few guys to look out for in seniors Mike Beaudet and Nikolas Beeson. Carmen Giampetruzzi will need to be solid on the hill along with their ace Beaudet. I also heard there has been a freshman going tonopen gyms who is a lefty and hits around 85 consistently.

Memorial is still a young team with a lot of sophomores and juniors who will make the varsity squad. Senior Mike Torres will lead this team both on the hill, behind the plate, and at the plate. With the loss of Tim Sullivan, this team will be looking for multiple guys to step up this year. A player I really like there is shortstop Jacob Boylan. I'm not sure if he's a sophomore or a junior but this kid can really play.

West is well, West. They brought in a new coach over the offseason by the name of Steve LaRose. He pitched in the minors for a while and was Jutras Post's pitching coach the last three seasons. So they now have a great coach, but the problem is no talent to work with. Senior Clayton Welch will be the backbone of this team. He will have to pitch and hit these guys to the playoffs if they want to get there, sort of like what Cole Warren did two years ago. Senior shortstop Reynald Voisine should compliment Welch well, as I saw him play during the legion season and he seemed to have a lot of raw potential in both the field and at the dish.

I think Central has the best chance of making it the farthest this year out of the Manchester teams, but Trinity and Memorial have the potential of being sleeper teams who you get upset by come tournament time.
quote:
Trinity should be a decent team, but nothing like the way they used to be. They have a few guys to look out for in seniors Mike Beaudet and Nikolas Beeson. Carmen Giampetruzzi will need to be solid on the hill along with their ace Beaudet. I also heard there has been a freshman going tonopen gyms who is a lefty and hits around 85 consistently.

The Lefty is Jeff Arbour, He is not throwing 85 consistently but is in the lower 80's with an awesome curve ball. He is 6'3" and is a great kid. He needs to Mature a bit but He has come a long way in the past year & will definitley be a big player for Trinity in the future.
Thanks CBMDad for clarifying. That's a big pick up for Trinity as pitching could be an issue for them behind Beaudet. Giampetruzzi started his varsity campaign well last year but fatigue was definitely noticed as the season wore on. If those three can stay healthy and pitch well, they could be in a lot of games this year. My only question is how good is their offense after losing most of their power and speed the last two years.
No problem NHsports, I'm only familiar with a few of the Freshman & Kasten who is a junior. Like I said Arbour is the Jewel of the bunch. He is training with the right people so give him a year to mature & he will be scary.

Pinkerton has a Trio of Sophmores that will most likely open some eyes next year. Pinkerton generally has the Sophmores play JV & with the Coaching situation the way it is I would expect things to remain the same. Rumor has it there will be a new Varsity Coach next year.
I agree that Sahlin will be the guy to lead Campbell on the hill this year. I saw him pitch a few times last year and during the fall. My only issue with the junior is what comes after his fastball. Multiple times I witnessed flat curves where he hung them and guys crushed it. It's great he can throw 87 as a junior but guys like Kyle Turner, Nick Poore, Ryan Maloney, and Clayton Welch all did that as juniors. The first two had killer offspeed. Maloney has improved his number two pitch drastically in a year, and Welch has not been able to do any of that as he relies soley on his fastball. Once Sahlin develops some more, he will be FILTHY. That just comes with age, being he's only 16.
Well here is ESPN's Pre-season 2012 NH All-state Selections. Position players and then pitchers

All-State Baseball: New Hampshire

By ESPNHS

With spring approaching, ESPNHS has all the info you need on the top high school baseball players in New Hampshire.

We've broken down the state's top 20 players into two teams -- a group of positional players and a group of pitchers. Keep in mind, these selections were determined by a combination of on-field performance and recruit ranking.

See all 51 all-state baseball teams.

POSITION PLAYERS

Nick Beeson, Trinity, C, Senior
Hit .401 last season as a junior.

Mike Chase, Hollis-Brookline, SS/RHP, Senior
Hit .400 and was 4-2 on the mound as a junior.

Andrew Curran, Pinkerton Academy, C, Senior
Stellar defensive player also hit .407 as a junior.

Jackson King, Merrimack, 2B/SS Senior
Also a football standout.

Mitch Frick, Hollis-Brookline, C/OF, Junior
Sophomore campaign saw him hit .432 with four HRs and 13 RBI.

Joe McCarthy, Bishop Guertin, P/OF/1B, Senior
Two-sport star will play college ball for Southern New Hampshire.

Connor McCauley, Portsmouth, C/OF, Senior
Hit .431 last season.

Graham McIntire, Concord, SS, Senior
Signed to play for Marist College next season.

Matt Fortin, Nashua North, C, Junior
Second team all-state catcher as a sophomore.

Stephen Szelog, Central OF, Senior
Speedster landed on all-state first team as a junior.

PITCHERS

Jordan Bean, St. Thomas, RHP, Junior
Named first team all-state pitcher as a sophomore.

Eddie Dionne, Concord, LHP/OF, Senior
Southpaw landed on all-state first team as a junior.

Terry Dugdale, Souhegan, LHP, Senior
Struck out 50 batters in just 26 innings last season.

Rick Holt, Portsmouth, RHP, Junior
Went 7-0 for the state champions as a sophomore.

Tom Hudon, Merrimack, RHP, Senior
Has found spot on all-state team his sophomore and junior years.

Dan Kinnon, Londonderry, RHP, OF, Senior
Hit .466 and finished with a 2.23 ERA as a junior.

Ryan Moloney, Londonderry, RHP, Junior
Staff ace struck out 38 last season with a 3.25 ERA.

Jake Mellin, Nashua North, RHP, Senior
Helped lead team to state title last season.

Dan Peters, Salem, RHP, Senior
Ace of staff has been on varsity squad since freshman season.

Joe Provencher, Central, RHP/SS, Senior
All-state pitcher last season.
would love to know where they get this info and when was the last time espn outside of Portsmouth had a clue about NH baseball. Off hand I can think of 5-10 players who should be on this list. My guess is they look at the players who attend many showcases and those that have gotten built up for one reason or another. Because you attend "elite" showcases doesn't make you an elite player.
A writer for ESPN Boston emailed coaches in New Hampshire for their input on who should be on this team. I don't know criteria outside of that, but I also know Kinnon and Moloney attended maybe 1 showcase (I'm not even sure of that) over the past year.
While there are deserving players left off, this is also a quality list.
At the end of the day this is simply another "pre-season favorites" list that has no bearing on what happens when the season starts. (Though I think it is nice for any exposure for NH baseball).
I agree with Ironwill. Showcases probably had nothing to do with. Some of the comments for the players in the Nashua Telegraph readership area were lifted right from the All-Star profiles for last season. I'd say most of the input was from 99% high school coaches only.

By only picking 20 kids in the entire state, there is clearly plenty of room to argue about the omissions. Having seen about half the kids play live on this list, I don't know of anybody who is not worthy to be on it.
Div 2 has Pelham returning 5 seniors. Two Starters in Bronson and Rouselle (out most of season w/bone break) with a senior and junior as back up. They have two seniors that batted .400 in HS and over .420 in Legion with BBCOR bats. This is possibly the team to knock off Portsmouth, since Pelham was the last team to give them a loss. Sage and McLean should give pitchers fits, with a good hitting roster behind them. New Coach Beachesne, former Pelham standout wants to bring Pelham back on the map for baseball. Last year, treated as a feared team that just barely made it to the playoffs. Forced Goffstown to use their best pitcher in 1st round and made him unavailable for the 2nd round loss.
Hi Ump

I run the Legion program in Salem and Pelham players are available to play for us so I am interested in speaking with Bronson and Rouselle if they are available to play in the summer. Who were the players that hit .400 in Legion last season and which team did they play for?

If you get a chance message me with your contact information, I briefly spoke with Billy B. a few weeks ago about some players but would like your imput too.

John Ryan
He was a highly rated sophomore. First team all state in the old Class L. I saw him play in 2010 at the Lynn Invitational. I believe he only caught there, but has been both a catcher and a pitcher. Last year was a tough one from Spaulding as he was one of several players that got kicked off the team for behavior up in Cooperstown before the regular season started. I would expect him to be very good if he progressed as expected.
Nashua South is going to be a strong team this year. However, I do not agree that Ted Christie is returning as their "ace." Last year, Juniors Jared Maloney and Ted Christie won 9 games together. Saying this, the burden of wins was not shared equally. Maloney won 7 (1 ND) and Christie only one. The fact that Maloney's fastball does not have the velocity of Christie's is the reason he does not receive recognition. His curveball is what makes him a more of a "pitcher" not a thrower. Moving past the pitching rotation, Reed will be an exciting player to watch as previously stated. His combination of speed and power make for an exciting player. Jimmy Buckley, a solid firstbaseman who spent much of the off season training with AB, has shown real improvement in both fielding and hitting. At third base, Frankie Guarino is a third year player, who has a good glove, and a strong arm.
quote:
Originally posted by nhball123:
Nashua South is going to be a strong team this year. However, I do not agree that Ted Christie is returning as their "ace." Last year, Juniors Jared Maloney and Ted Christie won 9 games together. Saying this, the burden of wins was not shared equally. Maloney won 7 (1 ND) and Christie only one. The fact that Maloney's fastball does not have the velocity of Christie's is the reason he does not receive recognition. His curveball is what makes him a more of a "pitcher" not a thrower. Moving past the pitching rotation, Reed will be an exciting player to watch as previously stated. His combination of speed and power make for an exciting player. Jimmy Buckley, a solid firstbaseman who spent much of the off season training with AB, has shown real improvement in both fielding and hitting. At third base, Frankie Guarino is a third year player, who has a good glove, and a strong arm.

Ted Christie was ineligable for much of last season. He will have a very positive impact this year.

Add Reply

SPECIAL JUNE OFFER for HSBaseballWeb customers: Free batting gloves with every purchase!

Link copied to your clipboard.