Skip to main content

What does the rest of New Hampshire think of this?
Portsmouth's Rick Holt. Rick is a big, burly 6'4" junior who can flat out bring it. He throws his two seamer around 85-88 with a knee-buckling curveball to compliment it. As a sophomore, he was recognized as a 2nd team all state pitcher with a 7-0 1.49 era and a .375 Batting average to go with it. Granted he was throwing against the not as strong division two teams, but he still gutted out an eight inning performance against Oyster River to save Portsmouth's nationally recognized winning streak. As anchor of the clipper staff now, him and his team's potential has no limit and I was wondering what all of you think of this.

P.S.: I am not a Portsmouth biased man nor am i a graduate of Portsmouth High School, but when i see talent that Holt possesses, I feel obliged to discover the public opinion of him
couple of weeks in and with the exception of a few good outings the pitching has been less than spectacular in D1. Due to BBCOR the hitting was supposed to be down, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Homeruns may be down a bit, but overall I don't think the bbcor issue has affected offense a whole lot.This may be due to the quality of pitching this year,plus the fact that most of these players are swinging wood quite a bit in the fall and summer. The fact my son has been out since the first scrimmage with an MCL sprain has given me the opportunity to kind of watch other aspects of the game. I see a lot of mediocrity in D1 this year and should make things interesting as the playoffs start to take shape. By the way, having your son lose most of his senior year really bites.
quote:
Originally posted by nhbaseballfan24:
What does the rest of New Hampshire think of this?
Portsmouth's Rick Holt. Rick is a big, burly 6'4" junior who can flat out bring it. He throws his two seamer around 85-88 with a knee-buckling curveball to compliment it. As a sophomore, he was recognized as a 2nd team all state pitcher with a 7-0 1.49 era and a .375 Batting average to go with it. Granted he was throwing against the not as strong division two teams, but he still gutted out an eight inning performance against Oyster River to save Portsmouth's nationally recognized winning streak. As anchor of the clipper staff now, him and his team's potential has no limit and I was wondering what all of you think of this.

P.S.: I am not a Portsmouth biased man nor am i a graduate of Portsmouth High School, but when i see talent that Holt possesses, I feel obliged to discover the public opinion of him

Looking forward to a good Portsmouth-St. Thomas game on Monday. Not sure where you are getting your information, but you need to subtract at least 5 from your "85-88" comment. Rick has an above-average high school fastball, and a very good curve. Location and changing speeds will be key to his game tomorrow. He is a competitor, as those who have seen him play football will attest. STA is definitely hungry for this one, with their ace Jordan Bean (Portsmouth NH, Tufts) on the hill. Hoping for a crisp, well-played game from both sides.
trhit and seacoastdad:
I guess i agree with the fastball and no I'm not his dad, nor am i a biased Portsmouth fan,I was searching for opinion on Holt to see if people agree with my views on him. So far he's been good against weak competition and as seacoast dad said, tomorrow will be the big test to see if Holt is the real deal. It's going to be interesting to see if us fans get to see the Holt who induces grounders or the Holt who will keep the Saints guessing all day. If he finds a balance between that, the Saints go home losers and the streak will go on.

I have no relation to any Portsmouth Baseball player, just a baseball fan and Portsmouth Baseball Games are free baseball games so why not go to them?
quote:
Originally posted by TrueFan28:
Kennett junior Nick Massa threw a No Hitter in their opener against Berlin.

Nick Massa is having an outstanding season in 2012. Thru 4/29/12 he's 5-0 w/ 0.69 ERA on the hill including 4 complete games, 2 shutouts and 1 no hitter.

At the plate Nick's batting almost .600; OBP .700; Slugging .864; OPS 1.564.

NIck's always been talented ball player (all state as freshman and sophomore) but offseason coaches Mike D'Andrea (pitching) and Nick Caiazzo (Hitting) out of Portland, ME have really helped Nick raise his game. I strongly recomend these excellent coaches to any high school player looking to raise his game to the next level. They're top notch!
quote:
Originally posted by nhbaseballfan24:
trhit and seacoastdad:
I guess i agree with the fastball and no I'm not his dad, nor am i a biased Portsmouth fan,I was searching for opinion on Holt to see if people agree with my views on him. So far he's been good against weak competition and as seacoast dad said, tomorrow will be the big test to see if Holt is the real deal. It's going to be interesting to see if us fans get to see the Holt who induces grounders or the Holt who will keep the Saints guessing all day. If he finds a balance between that, the Saints go home losers and the streak will go on.

I have no relation to any Portsmouth Baseball player, just a baseball fan and Portsmouth Baseball Games are free baseball games so why not go to them?

I've watched Ricky pitch since he was 13 as my son played summer ball with him as a 13U and 14U. He's always been a fierce competitor.. and a good kid.. He's always good for a laugh. Ricky's got an above average fastball but it can be flat without a lot of movement. In my mind his curve was always his out pitch. St. Thomas has some very good ball players (Bean, Johnson, etc.) so I'm not surprised they were able to get the win today. Congrats to both teams.
Salmwv, I have not seen Massa pitch he sounds like a solid pitcher. Just from looking at the schedual Kennett is 5-3 and Nick is 5-0 with 4 complete games. He is on pace to pitch 10 of 16 games I hope his arm is still attached come play off time... I see this year after year where coaches ride an ACE all year and then come tournament time they are half the pitcher they were in the first half of the year. It also does not alow for development of younger pitchers who need game experience (this is one of the issues the Bedford coach stresses to me from the last few years).
quote:
Originally posted by coachC:
Salmwv, I have not seen Massa pitch he sounds like a solid pitcher. Just from looking at the schedual Kennett is 5-3 and Nick is 5-0 with 4 complete games. He is on pace to pitch 10 of 16 games I hope his arm is still attached come play off time... I see this year after year where coaches ride an ACE all year and then come tournament time they are half the pitcher they were in the first half of the year. It also does not alow for development of younger pitchers who need game experience (this is one of the issues the Bedford coach stresses to me from the last few years).

CoachC.. These are good points and you're right aboout the tired arm.. Nick went thru this last year as a sophomore as he followed up his Kennett season by pitching for Northeast Baseball out of Worcester. By the end of July he had lost a fair amount of his velocity and wasn't the same. Nick starts every other game for Kennett (they're 6 - 3 after yesterday's win) so he generally gets 4 days rest between starts. Thankfully, he's efficient as he's unafraid to pitch to contact and walks very few batters. He also has won 1 5 inning 10 run rule game and has been pulled with a big lead in another start (hence the 4 of 5 complete games). In a typical 7 inning game he's probably averaging about 90 pitches. We'll definately keep an eye on him though looking out for fatigue. We learned that lesson last year. Thanks for the advice.

Add Reply

SPECIAL JUNE OFFER for HSBaseballWeb customers: Free batting gloves with every purchase!

Link copied to your clipboard.