Skip to main content

My 2013 LHP hits 85 consistently, 4 great pitches and good travel team/exposure. Has gotten many emails and invitations to prospect camps where there are only 20 players per camp. Has shown well and several D1s have him on a draft-and-watch. He is in a velociy program ths is winter. He has a D1 offer from a school in the SL conference, but we live on the west coast and that area wasn't on his list. He has two D3s who have asked him to apply for an Early Decision. They each have one lefty on the team. he knows players on the team and he would get play time. Also, both D3s are very good academically.

Question - How do we hanlde the current D1 offer without loosing it if we want to sign late? We have other D1s who want to see him in his senior year and the coaches have returned all emails and phone calls regularily.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

85 is just okay for D1, pretty marginal really. I doubt 85 would be drafted. You may want to consider the out of area D1 offer if it is solid, or decide to chance it, see if your player can turn into a 87-88 guy and get multiple offers. But if you do so be prepared to settle for a local D3 if it doesn't happen.

There's no right way to go about this. I hope it does happen. Good luck.
Last edited by Bum
Maclefty,
My son is a very similar LHP and had an offer to a D1 school, but not one that he would attend were it not for baseball.
He was up front with the Coach and turned down the offer. He is at 85 and a PG rating of 8 and has yet to get an offer from another DI school.
Now he has a nerve entrapment that he is working through and is very glad that he did not sign with the D1 as baseball may or may not work out for him and the college was not a good fit for him.
I keep going back to some of the sage advice on tis board.......Encourage your son to attend a college that he would enjoy attending if baseball were not in his future.
quote:
Originally posted by maclefty:
My 2013 LHP hits 85 consistently, 4 great pitches and good travel team/exposure. Has gotten many emails and invitations to prospect camps where there are only 20 players per camp. Has shown well and several D1s have him on a draft-and-watch. He is in a velociy program ths is winter. He has a D1 offer from a school in the SL conference, but we live on the west coast and that area wasn't on his list. He has two D3s who have asked him to apply for an Early Decision. They each have one lefty on the team. he knows players on the team and he would get play time. Also, both D3s are very good academically.

Question - How do we hanlde the current D1 offer without loosing it if we want to sign late? We have other D1s who want to see him in his senior year and the coaches have returned all emails and phone calls regularily.

maclefty, by sign late I assume you mean signing after the NLI process opens again in April?
If so, I don't think there is anything you can do to control that DI offer if your son does not take it now. The control is with the school.
All your son can do is control what he does on the field. If he improves and possibly increases his velocity(I would not agree with Bum on it being pretty marginal for DI but that is a different thought) and that school has money, they might be back, might not.
What your son probably cannot do is go ED to the D3's at this point, if he wants to keep the later signing period open and hope all the DI interest works to a substantive offer in April or later.
Last edited by infielddad
quote:
But if you do so be prepared to settle for a local D3 if it doesn't happen.

I would disagree, there are several other choices such as D2s that often recruit in April and May. Additionally, as the player is in CA, there are the JC's which will allow him another year or so to see if he can garner additional interest. The right JC league in CA is like playing in a showcase every week...for almost free. You can often transfer to the D3 from the JC if you ultimatly decide the D3 is the right choice.

IMHO its all about finding a coach that's really interested in your son's future.

I wouldn't worry too much about the location unless it creates a financial burden, however, since you appear to be in CA you might be surprised how close in cost some out of state schools are compared to the UC tuition and housing costs.
Last edited by CollegeParentNoMore
If you wait until his senior year, it is likely the opportunities will be of a "walk-on" variety. Most schools have finished their recruiting for the next year (in this case 2013 grads), by November. A D3 is not a terrible choice as long as he can get exposure during the college season or in a good summer collegiate league. Various tretching programs may also add a mile or two per hour, getting him closer to 90

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.