Skip to main content

Hi,

My 2013 just signed up for the ACT to be given in Feb. It's a good date for our son because it's before the high school season gets heavy. Our son took the SAT and ACT as a sophomore to get a baseline, but this time around he's putting some studying into it, and has determined that the ACT is better suited for him based on earlier results. Tomorrow is the deadline for signing up without $ penalty, so thought I might mention it in case anyone has forgotten.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

They say the ACT is better for kids whose best subject IS NOT English. Also, it is recommended that you take it at the end of your Junior year unless you are in very advanced classes. My son took it in Feb of last year and again in June and improved 5 points which is substantial just because he had been taught the subject matter fully by that point. He took it again this year, his senior year in November and got the same score!
It is a good idea to try both. But know that the ACT has a higher level of math (it includes some trig). It also has longer reading passages so that a very slow reader might not score as well. While it has less emphasis on vocab than the SAT, it stresses grammar more.

The plus to the ACT is that is is more straightforward. The SAT is testing 'aptitude' which is a trickier approach for some students, whereas the ACT is content based. And, no penalty for wrong answers on the ACT.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.