Skip to main content

Hey Gang!

My 2013 RHP has noticed over the past few weeks that he is receiving less contact from college coaches...personal emails in particular. We don't count the "form letter" type emails about camps and season updates as personal emails.

Our kid will send coaches "Spring League" updates (IOWA) and he'll also wish them well on their next game, so they know he is following them.

Well, anyway, 2013 has expressed a little concern that a couple of colleges have stopped emailing back...one of which he visited unofficially a few months back. I tried to explain that the colleges are closing in on the end of their season and are working as hard as possible to make the conference tournaments and that recruiting may not be their top priority right now.

Our kid is not a stud pitcher, but we've been told there is definitely a place for him in college ball...4 or 5 mid level D1's have expressed an interest in recruiting him and following his progress this Summer HS season (again, Iowa). But, he's a little concerned that, for some reason, he's fallen off the radar with a couple of his favorite schools.

Is this communications drop-off typical this time of the year...assuming you are not a stud?

As parents, we have told him that the odds are pretty good that he will end up at a college that he hasn't even had contact with yet. And focus only on what he can control...his effort on and off the field.

Looking forward to seeing what your experiences have been.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bleacher Dad,

Yes, it is a busy time for most right now. I wouldn't be too concerned about the drop off in personal emails. I would use the time to reach out to new schools, plan visits, and map out the summer baseball schedule. In other words, use the time wisely because it is going to get real busy in the summer & fall. Coaches are working on an entirely different timetable right now. Most schools are in the heat of battle with conference play, and trying to set themselves up for conference playoffs.

We learned a few years ago that the recruiting communucation goes in waves. Sometimes you won't hear from a coach for a while. and then they re-surface like nothing happened. Sorry, but your son is going to have to get used to that. The best way to deal with it (we found) was to contact new coaches, and go to different expeosure events to get looked at by those new coaches. As one door closes, you'll have to open a new door. Sorry if that sounds philosophical but it was very true for us. There were certain schools/program that we thought were perfect, and we couldn't understand why there wasn't more interest. My son just learned to step over it, and move onto the next one. Sometimes the schools that had little interest did recontact us, and others didn't. Sometimes it was aggravating, but the payoff & wait was well worth it.

One of the best ideas (ive seen) is to let the coach know you'll be coming to watch a weekend game. Stop by after the weekend game to say "Hi". I've seen my son's head coach do that a few times this year after some conference games. It assumes the school is within driving distance, and it says a lot to stop by if the coach knows you're stopping by.

Good luck!
We are fairly realistic parents...he's not a STUD, but he could help a D1 in a few years. College pitching coaches like his arm, but his velocity is only low to mid 80's (he turns 17 after the season is over). However, he's well over 6' and weighs a "beefy" 180lbs.

He may have to be very patient on the journey, if D1 is really what he wants.

Thank you for the kind words.
Make sure that those schools he is wondering about are good fits for him, do they match his talent and potential.

I have to agree this time of year coaches are busy with their teams, but reality is that the recruiting job goes to the assistant coaches (not HC), that is a very large part of their job and most good programs never turn that off.

Someone really interested in a potential player would be pursuing him with regardless of what time of year it is. JMO.
TPM:

Thanks for the reply. The main contact for one of the colleges is the pitching coach. He saw my son at a showcase and approached him. Prior to the showcase, my son never really expected them to show interest. So, I guess, the coach believes that 2013 has potential. The coach's words to my son were "you have huge upside". My son will be calling that coach this weekend to see if anything has changed as far as recruiting
Maybe the drop off in contact is because you are in Iowa and his team is not playing. I would think that recruiters are out attending high school and JUCO games now and that their attention and mindset is on those kids that are playing at this time. Out of site, out of mind. Once your son's season starts maybe the contact from recruiters will pick up again.
quote:
Originally posted by Bleacher Dad:
TPM:

Thanks for the reply. The main contact for one of the colleges is the pitching coach. He saw my son at a showcase and approached him. Prior to the showcase, my son never really expected them to show interest. So, I guess, the coach believes that 2013 has potential. The coach's words to my son were "you have huge upside". My son will be calling that coach this weekend to see if anything has changed as far as recruiting

Your boy should have no problem playing d3.Its good to know the coach thinks your boy has some upside thats a nice seed to have "planted".Consider attending a iowa showcase or the iowa university summer weekend "camp tryout whatever".you'll see coaches from coe, loras, etc.these are pricey but very good d 3 schools.continue to give your kid exposure in the area he wants to attend school.maybe PBR or be recruited as well.send the d3's his cee dee's and tell them where he will be playing and or showcasing the next few months.YOU and your son must stay involved in the promoting process.we had several d3 schools and a few naia schools pursue my son.its funny but even with "sports" scholarships from naia schools the price of the d3 school was only 500 dollars more and imo a much better school academically.D3 schools generally play about 20-30 games less than a naia school BUT a kid with d3 talent should honestly know why hes at school so the number of games played should not be a factor in college choice.Good luck and keep promoting
Bleacher Dad,

Being patient is hard, but your son is in a great position if he's already had interest from 4 or 5 Div. I schools. Our son didn't receive Div. I interest until well into his senior year, but ended up signing with one in April of that year.

With your son having a "head start" on many other prospects, be sure he does what he can to determine if he feels a "connection" with the head coaches at these schools. The assistants do much of the leg work in recruiting, but ultimately the head coach is the one that makes out the starting lineup.
Thanks Fenwaysouth!! You were gracious with the time you put into the PM.

My son is being recruited by an Iowa D3...the college is going through a program rebuilding. My kid would have no issues playing for the coach. He admires the discipline and knowledge the coach projects. 2013 will also be attending the PG Midwest Showcase in Aug. and has attended camps at several D1's and a couple of D2's along with the mentioned D3. He also did a PBR event a couple of years ago and the Cangelosi camp near Chicago in 2012. The response has been fairly good...another midwest D1 just sent him a letter and they are officially recruiting him...we had others more recruiting-wise than us read the letter to make sure we weren't reading too much into it.

We actually have been surprised at the D1 response and disappointed in the lack of recruiting communication from D2's and D3's following Cangelosi. We thought we'd actually hear more from D2's and D'3 than D1's.

2013's pitching coach is also a coach of a top ranked JUCO and he told 2013 that he "projects" to pitch at a very high level. The JUCO will also be recruiting him hard in the Fall, according to the coach.

My son has also utilized a site called "Inside Pitching" to get a feel for coaching philosophy at certain schools and then sent emails to coaches mentioning their article and his interest in learning more about their program and the college. He just needs to be more consistent in getting those emails out.

I guess we are doing more than most to get exposure, but it looks like he needs to keep being proactive. In light of that and Fenwaysouth's recommendations, we are going to a college game on Sunday...he's emailing the coach tonight.

Thanks everyone!
quote:
Originally posted by fenwaysouth:
Bleacher Dad,

Yes, it is a busy time for most right now. I wouldn't be too concerned about the drop off in personal emails. I would use the time to reach out to new schools, plan visits, and map out the summer baseball schedule. In other words, use the time wisely because it is going to get real busy in the summer & fall. Coaches are working on an entirely different timetable right now. Most schools are in the heat of battle with conference play, and trying to set themselves up for conference playoffs.

We learned a few years ago that the recruiting communucation goes in waves. Sometimes you won't hear from a coach for a while. and then they re-surface like nothing happened. Sorry, but your son is going to have to get used to that. The best way to deal with it (we found) was to contact new coaches, and go to different expeosure events to get looked at by those new coaches. As one door closes, you'll have to open a new door. Sorry if that sounds philosophical but it was very true for us. There were certain schools/program that we thought were perfect, and we couldn't understand why there wasn't more interest. My son just learned to step over it, and move onto the next one. Sometimes the schools that had little interest did recontact us, and others didn't. Sometimes it was aggravating, but the payoff & wait was well worth it.

One of the best ideas (ive seen) is to let the coach know you'll be coming to watch a weekend game. Stop by after the weekend game to say "Hi". I've seen my son's head coach do that a few times this year after some conference games. It assumes the school is within driving distance, and it says a lot to stop by if the coach knows you're stopping by.

Good luck!

I was grateful to read this OP and the suggestions.

2013 is receiving polite responses from three D-Is who have seen him personally at college events and made positive comments. But, with the number of juniors we see verbally committing, we tend to feel like he's being overlooked. We try to remind ourselves that it really isn't as late as some articles lead us to believe.

2013's two favorite programs(for both academics and athletics) are playing each other this weekend so we are making the two-hour drive to watch them in person. He emailed both coaches, and both said they are very glad he's coming, and the home coach told him where to meet him after the game to say hello. We presume it'll be a cursory visit, but we are taking that as a good sign. They also respond to his emails with new video links and brief stats updates . . . polite, "thanks for the update, keep us posted, and let us know where you'll be this summer."

It's so difficult to try to read just enough between the lines and know what's a courtesy and what's interest.
quote:
Originally posted by 2013 Parent:
quote:
Originally posted by fenwaysouth:
Bleacher Dad,

Good luck!

I was grateful to read this OP and the suggestions.

2013 is receiving polite responses from three D-Is who have seen him personally at college events and made positive comments. But, with the number of juniors we see verbally committing, we tend to feel like he's being overlooked. We try to remind ourselves that it really isn't as late as some articles lead us to believe.

2013's two favorite programs(for both academics and athletics) are playing each other this weekend so we are making the two-hour drive to watch them in person. He emailed both coaches, and both said they are very glad he's coming, and the home coach (asst coach/RC) told him where to meet him after the game to say hello. We presume it'll be a cursory visit, but we are taking that as a good sign. They also respond to his emails with new video links and brief stats updates . . . polite, "thanks for the update, keep us posted, and let us know where you'll be this summer."

It's so difficult to try to read just enough between the lines and know what's a courtesy and what's interest.
Bleacher Dad,

Where is your son playing this spring? You mentioned that your son is a RHP, NOT a stud and that he throws low to mid 80s. By your own description, he would not likely be a high recruiting priority for DI colleges at this time.

Do not take this the wrong way. He very well might turn into a high priority. You just need to understand there are thousands of 2013s all over the country that throw low to mid 80s. DI's are looking for the very best when it comes to early commitments.

I think the most important thing he can do right now is work hard at improving. At the same time continue to work at finding a good college fit. It is common that many DI and other coaches will say nice polite things, but that doesn't always turn into serious recruiting interest.

Bottom line... It sounds like your son has outstanding potential. Do everything possible to keep getting better. If he comes close to reaching his potential, and does well in the classroom, you will be surprised by how much the communication will pick up.

Also keep in mind that most of the northern schools still recruit hard after the early signing period. And DIII schools are still busy finding 2012 players.
As some of you predicted, things are starting to sort their way out. Our 2013RHP has started to see the light and realizes that Jucos and D3's are his best options for development. D1 interest has waned, but D3, D2 and Juco interest is picking up.
No less than 7 D3's are now interested...thank goodness he listened to us about grades. A couple of D2's and a handful of Jucos.

The kid still wants a shot at D1 or D2 someday, so he really prefers the JUCO route. A great opportunity with a D1 JUCO in warmer temps (a lot less snow than Iowa) appeared this past weekend when my son received a call from their coach.

The lesson for everyone during the recruiting process is that it ebbs and flows...and I'm sure that it will even continue to for us.
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:

Also keep in mind that most of the northern schools still recruit hard after the early signing period. And DIII schools are still busy finding 2012 players.

I'm curious if OVC and MVC schools typically have their full class signed in the early period? In looking at press releases on the first date of the early signing period for the past few years, it seems as if they usually do.

From what we can gather right now, most of these schools have 3-4 players committed to date and are probably looking for 3-4 more.
Last edited by 2013 Parent

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.