Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For years here one of the points of debate was when Hickory would finally fulfill the potential many thought it had as a baseball power.  Many seasons ended with 13-7 or 14-6 and on the outside looking in at the old format that was much tougher to navigate.

But getting past Great Bridge and going on the run at the end of last season to the Group 5 State Title and this preseason recognition that time may have come.

Also has a lot to do with the fact that they return a good wealth of talent this year.  The Polansky brothers as well as Eason on the mound.....scatter in the undoubtedly talented pieces around those 3, and you have a very good team.  Last year they came out the gate a little flat, but got better and better as the season progressed.   Great to have such talent and a team representing the 757 like this!!

Originally Posted by luv baseball:

For years here one of the points of debate was when Hickory would finally fulfill the potential many thought it had as a baseball power.  Many seasons ended with 13-7 or 14-6 and on the outside looking in at the old format that was much tougher to navigate.

But getting past Great Bridge and going on the run at the end of last season to the Group 5 State Title and this preseason recognition that time may have come.

Keeping their good players at Hickory is the key.  There was always a good base of players in the Hickory zone, good enough to challenge for states every year but it was tough when so many left for other opportunities.  The current coaching staff is rewarding talent, not basing playing time on your grade level.

I see Hickory as a very good team, and one that is getting some recognition due to having a couple of top-level superstar types.  I also believe that there are three other programs in the Tidewater area who are better, top to bottom, in 2015.  Of course, this doesn't mean that Hickory won't beat those teams!  In the SED, beating up on one another kinda comes with the territory!  I would think that Hickory will challenge in the 5A group.

Battlefield must carry a bunch of talent as well.  Who knows more about them?

Originally Posted by redbird5:
luvbaseball,

I'm not sure Hickory "got by GB" last year. GB beat them 2 out of 3 times. Hickory won the state title because they got hot at the right time, which is a credit to them, but they didn't run through GB.

Yep.  They beat them in the State Tournament and my post clearly says they got on a run at the end of the season.  If you go back and look at my posts in the spring on this subject I commented that GB had beaten Hickory several times during the season...but Hickory won the game between them that mattered the most.

So my wording was chosen somewhat carefully to describe the fact that Hickory by no means was a dominant team last season - frankly GB was the best in that Conference start to finish.  Hickory did "get by" GB to win the State Title.  It happens in a one and done format.

Prior to the opening of last season, I made mention that I thought Hickory was a superior team on paper.  I found it a little perplexing that they went on to lose some of the games that they lost.  I'm not so sure that they "got hot", or just "got it together" at the right time!  Playing on words, of course, but I expected that they would challenge deep into the postseason with the roster they had last year.  Very good group!

luv, 

I consider Hank Kraft and Sean Townsend personal friends.  There are plenty of EvoCanes on both rosters. 

But...you have your facts wrong.  GB and Hickory split regular season games.  GB beat Hickory to win the Conference tourney.  GB lost to Kellam in the State Tourney, not Hickory.  Hickory beat Maury to face Kellam.

Sadly, this rivalry will change as GB is moving to 4A next year.

Originally Posted by redbird5:

luv, 

I consider Hank Kraft and Sean Townsend personal friends.  There are plenty of EvoCanes on both rosters. 

But...you have your facts wrong.  GB and Hickory split regular season games.  GB beat Hickory to win the Conference tourney.  GB lost to Kellam in the State Tourney, not Hickory.  Hickory beat Maury to face Kellam.

Sadly, this rivalry will change as GB is moving to 4A next year.

Memory was faulty.  I know Hickory won the last game between the two and recalled it was in the States - incorrectly.

Wholeheartedly agree not only on the Hickory/GB rivalry but a whole host of others in the SED.  If GB stays is Group 4 for any length of time and that spigot from SCAA keeps pouring players in there they should be a strong contender for a State title very frequently in upcoming years.  

Originally Posted by GB_Baseball:

HIckory being #34 or whatever they are in the country is an absolute joke to me. Great Bridge, Grassfield, and especially Western Branch and Nansemond River can beat them on any given night. 3 dominant players cant make you #34 in the nation. Idk who does the perfect game rankings but they are laughable!

I dunno.  If you live in a tough neighborhood and lose a few fights does that mean you are not a bada$$?  I think not.

They return 6 to 8 key contributors including those 3 studs to a team that is a defending Champion in a state that is in the high end of HS baseball.  Perhaps the problem is not with Hickory's ranking but if WB should have been in as well.   

To be fair though if you told me there were 15-20 teams in CA better than anyone north of Georgia or SC, I might not argue the point.

Originally Posted by BaseballDad757:

Will start a whole new local SED rivalry between GB and NR next year.   Unfortunate divisions have to change like that, but we in the 757 are lucky to have such talented programs year in and year out.  

NR is moving up to Group 5 and will be with the peninsula teams and will not have a single SED team in its conference. 

GB will be in a conference with KF, DC, Lake Taylor, Churchland and Woodrow Wilson.  GB also loses all of its true rivalries entirely.  Maybe new ones will emerge but in recent years it is hard to see GB losing many games in this group. 

Will start a whole new local SED rivalry between GB and NR next year.   Unfortunate divisions have to change like that, but we in the 757 are lucky to have such talented programs year in and year out.  

NR is moving up to Group 5 and will be with the peninsula teams and will not have a single SED team in its conference

GB will be in a conference with KF, DC, Lake Taylor, Churchland and Woodrow Wilson.  GB also loses all of its true rivalries entirely.  Maybe new ones will emerge but in recent years it is hard to see GB losing many games in this group. 

It is still very early, so no one really knows how the new schedule will pan out.  HOWEVER...to address point number one:  You better believe that GB and NR already have a rivalry.  To those in Southern Chesapeake, it may not seem like one.  It's certainly not a "backyard brawl"!  But on the field, between the programs, there is no doubt, due to it's competitive nature.  In fact, NR and GB have scheduled an extra game this season, which they will utilize as their "benefit game".

Point number two:  the newest realignment, to begin next season, is a joke.  We will have to see how the schedule is done.  With the frequent addition and subtraction of new players, scheduling is a nightmare.  We'll all have to stay tuned on that one!!! 

Last edited by GoHeels
Originally Posted by JMU_2016:

I'm surprised that Madison isn't getting any attention. They return 2 D1 pitching commits and 2 other committed players plus a host of young talent that is really gonna take off this year. This team is loaded this year

This could be one of those years where the tide has risen across the board, and the talent level throughout the state may be higher.  Not so much at the top, perhaps, but there may be a larger quantity of quality players (teams) throughout the state, and rather than having a handful of "elite" teams, maybe there are 2 or 4 times that amount this year.  I don't know?!?!? 

"It is still very early, so no one really knows how the new schedule will pan out.  HOWEVER...to address point number one:  You better believe that GB and NR already have a rivalry.  To those in Southern Chesapeake, it may not seem like one.  It's certainly not a "backyard brawl"!  But on the field, between the programs, there is no doubt, due to it's competitive nature.  In fact, NR and GB have scheduled an extra game this season, which they will utilize as their "benefit game".

Hickory, GB have to be PenSouth Favorites. Could there be a darkhorse out there in that conference? Gloucester made the semis in 2014 and didn't Indian River almost pull off an upset of GB in tournament and beat Hickory in regular season?

NR is moving up to Group 5 and will be with the peninsula teams and will not have a single SED team in its conference. 

I haven't kept up with all the realignment obviously.  Thanks for the update though luv baseball.   GB certainly loses that divisional SED rival.

Originally Posted by NotThatGuy:

"It is still very early, so no one really knows how the new schedule will pan out.  HOWEVER...to address point number one:  You better believe that GB and NR already have a rivalry.  To those in Southern Chesapeake, it may not seem like one.  It's certainly not a "backyard brawl"!  But on the field, between the programs, there is no doubt, due to it's competitive nature.  In fact, NR and GB have scheduled an extra game this season, which they will utilize as their "benefit game".

Hickory, GB have to be PenSouth Favorites. Could there be a darkhorse out there in that conference? Gloucester made the semis in 2014 and didn't Indian River almost pull off an upset of GB in tournament and beat Hickory in regular season?

My comments were in response to a previous post regarding the realignment for NEXT SEASON!!!  Not the one beginning in a couple of weeks!

Originally Posted by GoHeels:

NR is moving up to Group 5 and will be with the peninsula teams and will not have a single SED team in its conference

It is still very early, so no one really knows how the new schedule will pan out.  HOWEVER...to address point number one:  You better believe that GB and NR already have a rivalry.  To those in Southern Chesapeake, it may not seem like one.  It's certainly not a "backyard brawl"!  But on the field, between the programs, there is no doubt, due to it's competitive nature.  In fact, NR and GB have scheduled an extra game this season, which they will utilize as their "benefit game".

Point number two:  the newest realignment, to begin next season, is a joke.  We will have to see how the schedule is done.  With the frequent addition and subtraction of new players, scheduling is a nightmare.  We'll all have to stay tuned on that one!!! 

Totally agree that NR and the CHES schools battle away on the diamond.  If they were staying in the conference and GB was coming in they would almost certainly become the top rivalry there.

The 10 school SED is spread over 5 conferences and 4 Groups and 2 of the Suffolk schools NR and LL do not have any District affiliation in the new plan. Feels a little like what has been going on at the college level. 

Regardless, there is still a wealth of talent at these school in the SED and each school will represent well in their divisions.  I think each division has 2 teams at a minimum that can/will be consistent and have a chance to go to states when all is said and done.  Simply because of the amount of pitching there is out there.  The D-1 talent on the hill is ridiculous, and YOUNG for the most part.  

Regardless, there is still a wealth of talent at these school in the SED and each school will represent well in their divisions.  I think each division has 2 teams at a minimum that can/will be consistent and have a chance to go to states when all is said and done.  Simply because of the amount of pitching there is out there.  The D-1 talent on the hill is ridiculous, and YOUNG for the most part.  

They won the Group 6 and Group 5 and if not for Hanover - NR may have picked up Group 4 as well.  Not sure they can really do much better than last season.  I know for a lot of years when mine was playing this board was real heavy with SED chatter and talk of how great it was.  A lot of years the 3rd team left home not going to regionals was a real powerhouse. 

The new alignment definitely let's them all hunt.  Let's see if the SED is what we thought they were in upcoming seasons.

They won the Group 6 and Group 5 and if not for Hanover - NR may have picked up Group 4 as well.  Not sure they can really do much better than last season.  I know for a lot of years when mine was playing this board was real heavy with SED chatter and talk of how great it was.  A lot of years the 3rd team left home not going to regionals was a real powerhouse. 

The new alignment definitely let's them all hunt.  Let's see if the SED is what we thought they were in upcoming seasons.

And the SED IS great.  I know not only NR, but Grassfield was tough last year.  I'm telling you, my gut leans towards them this year as a team people may sleep on.  I am not a Grassfield "fan" persay, but I am a good baseball fan!  They have 3 arms that can shut down most teams on any given night.  Keep an eye out for them.

Jone3912 - That is one interesting (terrible) attempt at guerrilla marketing.  Except, its less "guerrilla" and more straight up false!

I went to the link.  Thought maybe you were the host for some PG events as your post suggests.  Nothing.  And obviously PGStaff has already called you out on multiple threads.

There is space for plenty of people to run great events.  But my unsolicited business advice would be to not lie about what you do and who you do it with.  In business, your reputation is all you have.  

Good luck.  

By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if your posts get deleted.  

Rich

www.PlayInSchool.com

That is a different link than the one you posted earlier & has since been deleted as I suspected it would be.

I've been on every page of the page you posted earlier and there is ZERO mention of PG or any PG Tourney.

Plus the founder and head "dude" of PG even questioned your post, in multiple threads i'd add.  

So perhaps we are getting off on the wrong foot.  If so, I apologize.  Perhaps you need to update your website before you start blasting it on the web.

Best of luck with your tournaments.

And, oh by the way, this thread was discussing the Virginia HS teams that were listed in the Preseason Rankings.  Not sure if you noticed that.  Perhaps you have something to contribute on that topic?  

Rich

www.PlayInSchool.com 

Madison return pitcher and Virginia Tech commit John DeFazio and Radford commit Brian Eckert. Outfielder and Williand Mary commit Owen Socher also returns as well as Junior shortstop Pete Nielson who is getting plenty of D1 attention. junior first basemen and pitcher Matt Favero also comes back and he is also being recruited.

To all the Nova baseball fans.. how is Madison loaded "again" were they "loaded" last year? If so, the SED is loaded as well

I'm no expert on NoVa baseball, but Madison has, for a number of years, been a very good program.  Last season they were considered one of the top teams in the state of Virginia, and apparently return a good amount of talent.  I believe they won 20 games last season.

And yes, there are a few programs in the SED which are loaded as well.  However, this does not mean that there aren't other really good programs throughout the state of Virginia.

Last edited by GoHeels
Originally Posted by GoHeels:

To all the Nova baseball fans.. how is Madison loaded "again" were they "loaded" last year? If so, the SED is loaded as well

I'm no expert on NoVa baseball, but Madison has, for a number of years, been a very good program.  Last season they were considered one of the top teams in the state of Virginia, and apparently return a good amount of talent.  I believe they won 20 games last season.

And yes, there are a few programs in the SED which are loaded as well.  However, this does not mean that there aren't other really good programs throughout the state of Virginia.

Over the last 6-10 years there are 3-4 very consistent places where top flight baseball is being played year in and year out.  The Patriot League in the North, SED in Tidewater and Richmond.

The top suspects have been pretty consistent, Lake Braddock, So. County, Hanover, James River, Great Bridge, Kellem out of the Beach and Western Branch among others.  Year in and year out there are 1 or 2 teams widely ranked nationally and the state produces around a dozen or more Major Conference/Professional grade prospects.

I came from a place where there was 1 guy that played in the majors over 30 years and maybe 5/6 DIV I prospects in the same period.  The baseball was barely JV level for most of the schools just mentioned.

The tug of war over which part of the state is the best is fun to debate - but IMO the games themselves are better.

Maxpreps 100 is out this morning:

33  Freeman

38  Hickory

45  Cosby

51  Madison

My takeaway...I'm thinking of the programs that I know are really good this season, and I'm thinking that this may be an unsually strong and deep year in Virginia.  (Across the board).  When was the last time anyone had FOUR different Va programs ranked in the top 51??????  Those are Cali, Florida, Texas, and Georgia like numbers.

Originally Posted by LeftyDad22:

How is Gloucester Catholic from NJ not even mentioned in the Top 50?? Seven D-1 players including 3 Topline D-1 pitchers. Well they will be at the PG  Louisville Slugger Select Classic #4 at Lakepoint starting 4/6 and will hopefully get a shot at IMG who is there as well.

Gloucester Catholic Ranked 22 with Maxpreps, that's better!

Last edited by LeftyDad22

A lot of what goes into those rankings is the services' knowledge of who is coming back for those teams.

Hanover lost key players to graduation last year, but to me they are still loaded, it's just that the guys who fill out that team may not be big names ... YET.  I don't know what's in the water up there, but they have pitching coming out of their ears yet again. 

I'm less familiar with Millbrook but as I recall they went to the 4A championship game riding a then-freshman and a then-sophomore (?) as their two main arms.  Seems like if those guys return and stay healthy, that would bode well.

Originally Posted by Midlo Dad:

A lot of what goes into those rankings is the services' knowledge of who is coming back for those teams.

Hanover lost key players to graduation last year, but to me they are still loaded, it's just that the guys who fill out that team may not be big names ... YET.  I don't know what's in the water up there, but they have pitching coming out of their ears yet again. 

I'm less familiar with Millbrook but as I recall they went to the 4A championship game riding a then-freshman and a then-sophomore (?) as their two main arms.  Seems like if those guys return and stay healthy, that would bode well.

Agreed!  I'm confident that you can probably add another 8-10 programs to that discussion as well!

Having spoken with various folks immediately after last season, then again this summer, I came under the impression that the then sophomore classes at a number of schools were large and talented.  I've been curious to see whether or not the talent pool for 2016 was as deep and widespread as people were suggesting.  Early indications are "probably so"!

Some programs may have a more shallow pool of elite names, while others may have a larger and deeper pool of "next tier" talent.

Midlo, considering your position, have you noticed a larger than average 2016 group?  Not necessarily more elite, but just a larger quantity of good players?

Last edited by GoHeels

I feel like the Richmond area's current junior class (2016 guys) is pretty loaded.  But comparisons from one class to the next are so subjective and so limited by who you get to see and who you never see that I don't hazard to say which class is stronger overall.  And then you have to factor in the surprise factor, the kid(s) who comes out of nowhere to have a standout year.  For me it's just fun to have an excuse to give my wife as to why I need to see so many games in person! 

I do think our area is stronger in prospects than it is often given credit for.

NOVA Baseball Magazine has released their Preseason Poll: http://www.novabaseballmagazin...3de90cf2f9ae3fec15dd. The panel consists of members of the media and local coaches: 

1. Madison
  2. Battlefield
  3. PVI
  4. West Springfield
  5. Lake Braddock
  6. Stone Bridge
  7. Patriot
  8. Oakton
  9. Chantilly
  10. Centreville.

Madison is preseason ranked #27 by Baseball America in their Top 50, the only VA school ranked. Battlefield is ranked #47 by PG, joining Hickory (#34) as the only ranked VA schools.

There's also a nice article on NOVA's top infielders ( can't resist):

http://www.novabaseballmagazin...99160cf22ca020319f5a 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.