Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Couple of minor things.

He is rolling over on his plant foot and needs to stay on the inside more. I would have him focus on landing on his big toe and inside of his foot while keeping his weight inside. This will get him to drive the ball back of the middle more and get his “throws” out at the pitcher instead of around toward third. Lots of lost power here. What helped my son a lot was focusing staying on the inside of both feet slightly co cked in when he steps in.

His front side collapses too much, so if he focuses on the first part staying inside then this might fix his soft front side. He needs to plant and rotate against a firmer front side.

It is hard to tell but his hands look like they need to be closer to his body at load so he stays inside the ball more and gets the bat on plane sooner. If he gets his hands a little closer and keeps them on plane he will probably get a little bit better bat path.

Cupping the wrist a little helps a little sometimes. At least it helped my son get on plane sooner and also stay more “connected” in his swing. Your son looks like he has pretty good hip action but gets a little disconnected. You really need slo-motion video to see for sure and filmed from behind also to really see what is going on.

I would not be making any adjustments without some help, and focus on one at a time. If you overload him you can make a mess out of a pretty decent swing for his age.

My bet is that he is a pull hitter and if he focuses on the above adjustments he will start driving the ball with more authority to all parts of the field.

That said he is a pretty fine looking 2015!
Ok... Time for some harsh truths.

This is not a good swing. This is a swing that works right now, but it doesn't palpably resemble a high-level swing.

His barrel path quite honestly is poor. His hands shove the knob to the zone. He gets a weak CHP as a result. His hip action is basically pointless. He's all arms. The rolling over of the front foot is seen in Longoria, but there's a different cause. He gets on plane at contact, but only briefly.

He has no coil. Thus, he can't wait on pitches. I'm not a fan of his upper body action... but whatever works for him. Tell him to pull rearward on the handle as he begins rotation.

Pushing rather than pulling rear hip. His rear hip pushes his hands, which is bad.
Agreed. Needs to let it get a little deeper and hold a longer line. We'll take a look at the hands/arms. His arms are little disproportioned at the moment. Very long in comparison to the body. He’s 6’ and I swear his arms are 4’. He really doesn't favor one part of the field more than another though. This is inside ¾ hitting. He spreads it around pretty equally in game play and generally has no problem going oppo.
Last edited by BK_Razorback
quote:
Originally posted by NDD:
quote:
Originally posted by Low Finish:

Perhaps his game swing is different. I hope that it is.
Where can I find your videos of your game or even practice swing? You should give him a link so he can see how to do it right.

Please do not make this about our disagreements. I do not post my swings in a public place. I send them to people who I know and believe have a good idea of what an MLB swing is.
Low Finish,
I know that you are a young student of the game and I am often impressed with your conviction to the information that you obtain. In fact, more often than not, I agree with many of your assessments. However, I notice that, recently, your comments are quite a bit more critical and black and white than they used to be.
As I recall, you have not yet competed at the HS varsity level. Hopefully, you will have the opportunity to continue to advance with your playing career in HS and beyond. If you do, you will very likely find that some of the things you were so convicted to in theory don’t necessarily work for everyone in actual practice. For example, there are several different hitting philosophies out there. Different approaches work for different players. Even MLB players tweak their swings and approaches and you will find many different methods at that level. Front foot hitters vs. rotational back side drivers, stride vs. no stride, release the top hand vs. don’t, stance with forward lean vs. upright stance, align knocking knuckles vs. choke grip, open stance vs. closed, etc., etc. Look at Cal Ripken. He changed stance, bat angle, load, pre-load bat action and more several times in his great career.
So, there is not a one-size-fits-all approach to hitting, even at the highest level. And more importantly, a hitter doesn’t know what approach is going to work for him against high level pitching until he is able to put it to the test against high level pitching. I would suggest that you consider softening your critique of other hitters at least until you have had enough practical experience that you can base your opinion on. Even then, you may find that what works for you doesn’t always work for your teammate or fellow poster looking for help and vice versa. So, perhaps you will also consider at least qualifying your opinions and being considerate that it may or may not apply to the person you are trying to help.
It's OK to hold strong to an opinion or position if debating one philosophy vs. another but please consider that when you tell a person what he is doing is absolutely wrong, you may be driving a wedge in any existing relationship with a current coach or hitting instructor. You may be tearing down confidence in a player that can't afford to lose it.
You have a lot to offer here. Please be aware of the responsibility and possible ramifications of your words.
Last edited by cabbagedad
quote:
Originally posted by cabbagedad:
Low Finish,
I know that you are a young student of the game and I am often impressed with your conviction to the information that you obtain. In fact, more often than not, I agree with many of your assessments. However, I notice that, recently, your comments are quite a bit more critical and black and white than they used to be.
As I recall, you have not yet competed at the HS varsity level. Hopefully, you will have the opportunity to continue to advance with your playing career in HS and beyond. If you do, you will very likely find that some of the things you were so convicted to in theory don’t necessarily work for everyone in actual practice. For example, there are several different hitting philosophies out there. Different approaches work for different players. Even MLB players tweak their swings and approaches and you will find many different methods at that level. Front foot hitters vs. rotational back side drivers, stride vs. no stride, release the top hand vs. don’t, stance with forward lean vs. upright stance, align knocking knuckles vs. choke grip, open stance vs. closed, etc., etc. Look at Cal Ripken. He changed stance, bat angle, load, pre-load bat action and more several times in his great career.
So, there is not a one-size-fits-all approach to hitting, even at the highest level. And more importantly, a hitter doesn’t know what approach is going to work for him against high level pitching until he is able to put it to the test against high level pitching. I would suggest that you consider softening your critique of other hitters at least until you have had enough practical experience that you can base your opinion on. Even then, you may find that what works for you doesn’t always work for your teammate or fellow poster looking for help and vice versa. So, perhaps you will also consider at least qualifying your opinions and being considerate that it may or may not apply to the person you are trying to help.
It's OK to hold strong to an opinion or position if debating one philosophy vs. another but please consider that when you tell a person what he is doing is absolutely wrong, you may be driving a wedge in any existing relationship with a current coach or hitting instructor. You may be tearing down confidence in a player that can't afford to lose it.
You have a lot to offer here. Please be aware of the responsibility and possible ramifications of your words.

I recognize this, but (personally), I'm very honest. Sometimes people don't like this. Admittedly, there are many bad instructors out there. I think you'll agree with me. I have not said anything is absolutely wrong, I have merely said XYZ are wrong and need to be changed for a decent swing to be achieved.

Sometimes I am somewhat caustic/abrasive. I will try to tone that down so my information comes across more clearly.

So in a nutshell (for those of you who I've irritated), here's what I believe.

Hitting is done with the Hips and Hands, the shoulders are along for the ride.
The moral of the story here BK is to realize you will get all kinds of opinions on the Internet, some very knowlegable and others not so much. Only you can figure out what works for you. A good thread for you to look at is the "truth about hip rotation" the Dr there has some nice looking slow motion video for you to get a good idea what a firm front side will do for you.
quote:
Originally posted by Low Finish:
quote:
Originally posted by cabbagedad:
Low Finish,

I recognize this, but (personally), I'm very honest. Sometimes people don't like this. Admittedly, there are many bad instructors out there. I think you'll agree with me. I have not said anything is absolutely wrong, I have merely said XYZ are wrong and need to be changed for a decent swing to be achieved.

Sometimes I am somewhat caustic/abrasive. I will try to tone that down so my information comes across more clearly.

So in a nutshell (for those of you who I've irritated), here's what I believe.

Hitting is done with the Hips and Hands, the shoulders are along for the ride.

he uses his arms and doesnt generate any early hand torque,seems like a dead hands hitter that starts the swing with his arms like my older boy did.thank God he was big and every once in awhile some unfortunate pitcher put the ball on his bat.seems with a 2015 grad date he still has a chance to use his hands and become more atletic and way less methodic.no hip **** no hand **** ,,arm swing
Now for some advice. I would try to get my hands on the Epstein material. It's the best stuff out there for "public" material and builds on The Science of Hitting. There is a value in getting the "weight shift" tutorial as well after getting the "Do We Teach What We See?" or the "Hit your Potential in 7 Days". If you can't afford that, just stick him in front of the TV during baseball season... Emulation is a fantastic teacher.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.