Skip to main content

My son (2016) was just invited to play over Christmas by a D1 coach out of the country.  Have you heard of this before?  They are taking a small number of kids and playing multiple games over a 7 day period.  Cost is fairly reasonable for a week.  What are the rules regarding this sort of thing?  Is it just a money maker?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have not heard of it.  My approach to it would not be based on opening recruiting opportunities by based on good lifetime experiences.  So I would wonder?

* What is the cost to me?

* What other players are participating?  How many?

* What are the travel arrangements?  Living arrangements?  Supervision?

* What opportunities outside of the baseball will my son experience?

Our older son played in the Dominican Winter League last Fall.  He loved his experience and may go back someday.  It did have a good impact on his view of the world and we as parents felt he grew as a person from it.

But he was 26 years old and given some of his stories, I would wonder about supervision when it comes to teenagers.

Just a thought.  I am definitely interested in hearing how this turns out so let us know please. 

My son got the same invite - this time from Brown for a December trip. He received a similar invite from UVA for this past summer.

In doing research, the program looks legitimate,and can be a tremendous life experience for your son. But as for recruiting, consider whether this is a school your son is serious in. If so, it gets your son a look by an assistant coach for a week. Other than that, it's not an "exposure" type of experience.

Interestingly, when I see the list of "college players" on the Dominican Baseball Camp website, none attend Brown. Or UVA. But it is a small sample group.

On the DBC website, it looks like 3 schools are hosting a team (i.e., an assistant coach from those schools are leading a team - I don't believe the schools are very much affiliated with the program) - Brown, Holy Cross, and a third one.  Looks like a fun trip!

Originally Posted by HVbaseballDAD:

My son go the same thing from Holy Cross Head Coach.  1600 bucks not including air fare.  Looks like a nice experience, but we will pass.  Interesting to not that this year's recruiting class for Holy Cross is bigger than the roster for the week in the Dominican.

Yes. This "invite" goes out to a lot of people because the yield, or percentage of those who accept, is low. Reason the acceptance is low is the cost.

Regarding the Holy Cross roster, check the HC thread in the College forum. There was a nice discussion about that. Their baseball recruiting class was even bigger than the football recruiting class. 19 to 16!

Originally Posted by NYdad2017:

And just an FYI, although my son received an email from a college coach inviting him on this trip (as many others have stated also), if ANYONE signs up through the camp website they will be able to attend.

It appears to be similar to the generic camp invites that many people get.

Right. I think, can't prove it, that the mailing list for this event is drawn from lists of prior camps the player attended.

Whether or not a family chooses to do this, I would think twice about putting it on the player's baseball resume. After all, one of the first things that would enter the recruiting coordinator's mind after seeing this must be.....hmmmm, these people seem to have money to burn, maybe I can get the kid to walk-on or at most, give him the minimum 25%.

I got this some years ago in connection with UVA.  I viewed it as a possible vacation adventure for the baseball-loving family.  It's not a smart expenditure from a recruiting perspective at all.  I think doing this allows the college coaches to have a vacation and call it work, which may help them with taxes or whatever. 

If you've always wanted to go and you can afford it, why not?  If you're looking to advance your recruiting, save your money.

Originally Posted by Green Light:
Originally Posted by NYdad2017:

And just an FYI, although my son received an email from a college coach inviting him on this trip (as many others have stated also), if ANYONE signs up through the camp website they will be able to attend.

It appears to be similar to the generic camp invites that many people get.

Right. I think, can't prove it, that the mailing list for this event is drawn from lists of prior camps the player attended.

Yes, I believe our UVA invite was the direct result of being on the UVA camp mailing list. Brown was at a recent camp son was at - again, I suspect a generic mailing list for marketing.

My son received this generic "winter vacation" camp invite from three of the coaches The reason he and everyone else received them is they're on  mailing lists. Coach Smith is a former assistant at Notre Dame,Coach Achillies is an assistant at Brown,and Coach DiCenzo is the head coach of Holy Cross.They blasted this out to anyone and everyone !

This is nothing more than a fun Christmas vacation camp for those that have 2000.00 + to drop. If this was how it was advertised than I wouldn't have a problem.However, I do have a problem with this statement :

"It is a very good opportunity if you have an interest in playing college baseball."

How can this camp benefit any 2014 player ? It surely won't help a player who aspires to attend or play at Brown or Holy Cross.Those 2014 recruiting classes will be done before Early Decision date.I doubt there is a whole lot of interest in Lower Columbia Junior College outside of Longview,Washington.

What opportunity for a 2014 or any other player for that matter ?

Buyer Beware !

Year after son's freshman year in college was invited to one of these. An assistant coach from the conference was putting a team together from conference players. He originally wanted to go. But after thinking it over fro a few days he changed his mind. Looked like a fun opportunity, and a good chance to experience another culture he is interested. he is minoring in Spanish. 

I totally agree with bobbyaguho, and we've talked about this privately.  It is in bad taste to put undo recruiting pressure on a 2014 (at this time) to feel obligated to this camp if they are considering one of these schools.  I find it deceptive, and I think they should think about who they are targeting. Scrubbing these lists of current seniors would take a nanosecond on the mailing list database.  This is a skills camp (business venture) not a prospect camp (recruiting).  I agree....buyer beware.

I have a very different view on this from most of the posts.

I've been to the website... http://www.dominicanbaseballcamp.com

One of my former teammates and current UVA 1B Coach Matt Kirby goes during the summer. He is a great guy.

Sam LeBeau, who runs DBC, is a Charlottesville resident I believe.  I spoke to him prior to my first trip to the DR to try to get my head around what I was getting in to.  He struck me as a good guy.

Nowhere on the website did I see anything about recruiting.  That is not what this trip is about.  If you think they are trying to "sell" you the recruiting aspects of this trip, I'd say you misinterpreted the material.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is an opportunity to have a cultural experience in a foreign country with baseball being used as the common thread between the American boys and the Dominican boys.  

If you can afford it and your son can spare the time I think it would be an amazing opportunity.

If you cannot afford it or cannot spare the time then don't sweat it.  I'd say this trip is not for everyone.

I've been to the Dominican Republic and had a chance to work with some ball players.  It was awesome!  I'd bet you that most kids that go on this trip will return to America more mature, open to diverse cultures, and more understanding of the world and how LUCKY we are to be American.

So, slow your bashing.  This camp is good.

EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS NOT ABOUT YOUR SON BEING RECRUITED.  <---- Not yelling.  Just emphasizing.

Rich

www.PlayInSchool.com/bus_tour

www.twitter.com/PlayInSchool

Originally Posted by PIS:

I've been to the Dominican Republic and had a chance to work with some ball players.  It was awesome!  I'd bet you that most kids that go on this trip will return to America more mature, open to diverse cultures, and more understanding of the world and how LUCKY we are to be American.

This I agree with.  I hope to be able to send my son to one of these in the future.  It will be for the "experience", not for recruiting purposes.

Now, whether his mom will let me go alone with him for the trip...  that's another story.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.