Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Maybe this belongs in the good places to eat on the road.

MIDATLANTICDAD

Dont know about you, but I love BBQ.  Everywhere I go I try to find the best.

Well, because our All American game is played at Petco, I get to San Diego every year.

You would never expect to find one of the best BBQ places in San Diego, but one of the best I have ever had is there.

PHIL'S Barbeque, it is well know!  I am addicted to that place.  Both ribs and chicken are great. I would guess the other stuff is too.  Sauce is unbelievable, I always buy several bottles to take home.

TIP:  They usually have a very long line waiting to get in.  I always call and order, then you can go right to the head of the line.  Then you just need to find a place to enjoy it.

BTW, Our All American selection show is part of the All Star game festivities.  If you get there stop and talk to Daron Sutton and our other guys.  I'm positive you would like Daron!  BTW, Daron's father is Hall of Famer Don Sutton.

I hope you make it out there.

Assuming San Diego will be like the All Star Game in Anaheim a few years back, we waited until a few days before and actually got tickets to Home Run Derby for under face value, and game tickets for face value. I think folks panic right before and the prices dip a bit - San Diego doesn't have near the local population pool to draw off of that Anaheim did, and while it is a beautiful city it is an expensive place to fly into (not a ton of flights). I'd imagine there will be tickets available up to the last minute for not much over face value. 

Feel free to PM me for any notes on hotels, touristy stuff etc. I am down there 15-20 days a year minimum, and go to 8-10 games a year at Petco. PG Staff is right - Phil's BBQ is darn good, and we have 5-6 other favorites we visit down there throughout the year. Beautiful stadium - highly recommend visiting the city and the ballpark, you won't regret it. 

I'm a San Diego native and currently work in law enforcement. If anyone visits San Diego for the All-Star game or any other time, I suggest avoiding travel into Mexico. Lots of drug related violence happening daily just across the border. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

San Diego, especially the Gas Lamp District around Petco Park is a great place to visit.

MidAtlanticDad posted:

Jerry and RJM, thanks for the tips. Those spots definitely go on the list.

I was kidding. Roberto's is a chain of infamous grease pits known for fish tacos. The Tijuana River isn't exactly clean. I was having a flashback from a role play we did in a training class on client hosting. The instructors laughed their arses off at my suggestion. A few classmates without a sense of humor thought I should take the class more seriously.

In a role play on speaking to an audience I did ninety seconds of standup comedy. Once again the instructors laughed and a handful of serious students didn't get it.

I wanted to post a follow-up note about my father/son trip to the MLB All-Star Game. My 19 year old son and I attended the HR Derby, the All-Star Game, and FanFest. (You may have seen my 2015 in the mob fighting for HR Derby balls under the left field scoreboard.) Absolutely fabulous trip. All of the events exceeded my expectations, and the Southern California weather was unbeatable. Also made it to Dodgers and Angels games just for good measure. I highly recommend the All-Star experience to any baseball fan. FanFest is particulary fun for the younger kids. Regarding tickets, GoldenSombrero was spot-on. There were quite a few tickets available at face value on the Thu-Fri before the game. I did get surprised when the ticket strips (all 3 events) were removed from StubHub right before the whole thing started (Friday, I think), but I was still able to purchase tickets for the individual events separately. I was also surprised how well the locals represented. I would estimate 75-80% of the attendees where Padres fans.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.