Skip to main content

And finally on the showcase team we're considering for the Fall.  I need to speak with the coach today to get more details.  I have the schedule and it looks like they have a mix of tournaments at spots where I know they usually get good college turnouts and a showcase that's just for their organization.  They had multiple players sign with D1 schools from this summer's team.  We know one family/player who is still looking like our 2016 and they said there was very good exposure over the summer.  They are playing this fall and going to D3 camps (some of the same schools our 2016 has been looking at) and the coach of this team has been actively speaking with the coaches at those schools ahead of them attending the camps (which is what the coach of my 2016's summer team was supposed to be doing all summer, but apparently did not).

As far as "advisory services" - I'm not sure what's included in that.  I have to ask today.  The players from the summer team have already paid for that as part of what they paid early on.  I've been getting this info from another parent and now I need to get it first hand from the team.   

Originally Posted by joemktg:
Originally Posted by MKbaseballdad:

Thanks for the responses. By limited success at HF I mean that he did have interest from one school that seemed very serious - direct contact with the HC who told him he thought he'd be a good fit and could start as pitcher and in the infield as a freshman and told him (and me) that they wanted to get us out to campus for a visit.  He (the HC) then came to 2016s second game and watched again and talked to me most of the game. I looked at the roster and this team is graduating a significant portion of the team and most of them are P/Inf so he definitely needs pitchers and middle infielders. The only problem is this school is very far away so it's not really one that we would consider normally - if he wasn't under pressure (mostly his own) to find a school/team. He also has the same sort of interest from another Northeast school (pre HF camp) that basically told him the same thing (direct from HC).  That school is not in the same category academically as the school he met at HF last week and he's really not considering that one.  

He also met several HCs at HF, some that saw him pitch and others that did not, that he's following up with.  But so far no interest other than "come to our camp" and the same sort of emails that others have posted about in other threads the past 2 weeks. 

This is far more positive than I thought. At this point, I'd focus on campus visits and ditch the whole camp thing. Cut through the BS and get to a list of truly interested schools, such as the first one mentioned above.

OK, follow-up question. He received an email from the coach mentioned in my HF post directing him to the online application for the school and/or using the common application and some details about the early admission process,etc.  Some basic admin type stuff.  He also asked him to come for a visit and provided several dates where the school has visit days scheduled for potential students and he has camp type events set up.  Some of it looks like canned email type stuff but I'm sure he's copying and pasting some stuff into each email.  He also indicates that if those dates don't work then let him know and he'll set up something else personally.  

Here's the issue - it's really far away.  I'm not sure that any of us really want 2016 going that far away but we're all intrigued by the interest and honestly it looks like the type of school he (and we) were looking for but just in the Northeast.  They have a smallish roster with several Sr Ps as Infs graduating so I don't think 2016 would have an issue making the team - they'd need 10 kids like him just to have decent numbers on the team.  So I don't want to rule it out but he's continuing to try to find a fit here in the NE (or even just the east coast).  

We don't want to rule it out but also don't want to set up a visit right now - so how should he reply to the coach?  

I wasn't trying to be flippant, MK. I really do think your son should just tell the coach the truth: The distance is an issue ... and maybe a deal breaker. And I have a shot at closer schools.

I realize that by saying that, he's likely burning that bridge -- but that's OK -- assuming he really doesn't want to be that far away.

This is from the dad of a 2016 here in Texas, who's son is going to Oregon -- so I know what those conversations are like. Only difference is ... JP was the one who wanted to go far away. His mom ... well, let's just say she's manning up for next summer -- and thank God for Pac 12 TV

Whatever you do, it has to be what your son wants. 

I think it would be fine to tell him he is intrigued by the program but he is trying to get a handle on how he feels about the distance from home and he will keep in touch. It might spark some conversations on how the team, staff, school supports the players and what he can expect being that far away from his home.

The coach doesn't want him there and floundering any more than you do. Granted he might not have as much at stake.

Good luck,

Ted

Follow-up question to this thread.  2016 ended up with 5 D3 schools interested after HF - with 4 of them being northeast and generally meeting the criteria we had put together for him (and us) around the type of school and location.  One of them was high on his list of schools and seems very interested.  We're visiting later this month, he's meeting the coaches, attending some classes, staying over and then I'm not sure what.  

My question is how involved were you in setting up these visits and how much contact did you have prior to going to the school.  I've seen a few of the emails - the last one being that they were excited about him visiting and here's what we need from you - with a list.  I've let him handle the responses.  Do I need to have any contact with them prior to heading there?  I'm assuming they'll want to meet with us (parents) as well?

My 2 cents after having a 2012 go through the process and now our 2016.

Son is the point person regarding communications with the schools (coaches, admissions reps, et.al.).  If there's an email communication, we'll typically review with him before he sends it.  If there's a phone call, we discuss what to ask in advance, but he's on the phone alone and doing all the talking.

As parents, we've had zero direct interaction with the schools in advance.

Once on site, son(s) have had meetings one on one with coaches, admissions, other players, professors, et.al.  We have also met with coaches and admissions together with our son as they (coaches, admissions) will typically want to engage the parents for any questions too.

OK, one more question.  His first visit is this Friday.  Will they send some sort of overview of the day to him or will he find that out once he gets there?  Any sort of confirmation from schools in your experience?  I only ask because it seems to be somewhat quiet since they replied they were excited he was coming and asked him for info (transcripts, current classes, what sort of class he wanted to sit in on and what time we'd get there).  He's replied with all that and even sent a follow-up last week because he gave the wrong arrival time but he says he has no reply.

I want him to handle all the back and forth but I don't usually drive 4 hours for meetings without confirmation that they know when we'll be there and we know where to go when we get there.

Originally Posted by MKbaseballdad:

OK, one more question.  His first visit is this Friday.  Will they send some sort of overview of the day to him or will he find that out once he gets there?  Any sort of confirmation from schools in your experience?  I only ask because it seems to be somewhat quiet since they replied they were excited he was coming and asked him for info (transcripts, current classes, what sort of class he wanted to sit in on and what time we'd get there).  He's replied with all that and even sent a follow-up last week because he gave the wrong arrival time but he says he has no reply.

I want him to handle all the back and forth but I don't usually drive 4 hours for meetings without confirmation that they know when we'll be there and we know where to go when we get there.

Have him give the coach a call....sometime in the early evening when the college's practice is likely over.  I don't think the coach would mind.   If he gets a VM just say something to the effect of "just wanted to confirm our meeting for Friday....also wondering where we should go once we get on campus".  He's a '16 so coach can call him back.  If he doesn't, I'd wonder if something is up.....don't think I'd make the drive if I don't hear from them before Friday.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.