Skip to main content

Son's HS varsity coach gave each player on the team feedback on a number of areas at the end of the season.  Mentioned on the feedback sheet that my son (C/OF) should work on pitching over the summer.  He's never pitched in high school and has only pitched on rare occasions previously -  he has done fine when he's done it but it has never been a regular thing for him.  His current summer league coach has put him in for a couple of innings during 3-4 games and he's done pretty well - in fact, it's been pretty much 3 up 3 down - but this has been against not very high quality teams and I'm not sure where they were in their order when my son was pitching.  One exception to his good performance was this past weekend where he pitched - - he came in after his team had walked a couple - my son then came in and walked a couple and the coach took him out because tying run was at bat (good move, replacement pitcher then came in and we got the next out).  That was the first time so far that he has struggled.  

Anyway - question is - is this something we should consider pursuing more seriously - or, is it a little late to do this now?  If we should pursue this, what would be the best next step?  Should we get a pitching coach to do an evaluation?  How could we find an honest one who would tell us if there is some core talent there that is promising?  Son says he is interested.  I would be happy to post video that I took of some of his pitching if anyone thinks that would be helpful.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I wouldn't say it's too late at all.  It's never too late until you hang up the spikes.

Things may be a little more difficult just due to the lack of experience, but that's not something that can't be overcome if his coaches see promise.

One thing your son will have to do is decide how much time to dedicate to pitching - and how much to other positions.  If he is a really good fielder - will he be setting himself back if he loses reps. to work on pitching? There are many factors to take into consideration. If his goal is to play in college, does he have the velocity they are looking for?

You want to seek out an evaluation from someone who isn't at the same time looking to sell you lessons. I don't know what you have available in your area, but your HS or summer coach may have someone they can suggest.

If you have video, you can post it down in the pitching board and I am sure you will get some responses.

Never too late...as a matter of fact, with the right coaching he may have an advantage, since he may not have years of bad mechanics to overcome (which doesn't apply to all I know). 

My 2016 hasn't pitched in HS at all; he pitched for his 16U team last fall, but was very dedicated to making HS Varsity (at 1B) this year and didn't want to be pre-occupied with worrying about pitching. He has told me he will add his name to the list of pitchers for next HS season - his coach was told he can pitch so he encourgaed him to do so. As you know, you can never have enough pitching. 

I wish your son all the luck!

Never too late if he has strong/quick arm action.  Fact: BucsFanSon's HS team just won state championship on Saturday.  Fact: hero in finals was 2015 RHP who "shoved it" (CG, 10K, 1R) and....was our starting C last year....Summer team out him on mound last Summer and he has not C since.  Had ERA of about 0.5 and topped out at 88 several times with a slender frame and only about 6' tall.  Getting mid major D1 attention.

It is never too late.

I have two friends who didn't pitch until halfway through senior year. One went on to an SEC school and pitched in the majors. Another was drafted, signed and made it to AAA. There are pitchers who were position players in the minors until it was decided they couldn't hit adequately to continue. So, no, it's never too late. However, your son has to decide how committed he will be to working on pitching. If I were him I would play a position on the travel team and get a pitching coach on the side to prepare for pitching next high school season.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.  We will talk about this more seriously to determine if he thinks it is something to pursue.  As for the mental character, I'm not sure how to evaluate that without having him try it.  I'm going to post a couple videos on the pitching board to see if anyone can give preliminary thoughts based on those.  Thanks again.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.