Skip to main content

I found it very helpful to read through older reports from others on this board after various events, so thought I'd summarize our experience at the AZ Jr Fall Classic this weekend in case it is helpful to someone else in the future.  Sorry in advance for the long post!

I will preface by saying that son reached out to all of the schools on his list a few days in advance to let them know what team he was playing with and what his schedule was and, while we only heard back from two schools  (one to say there were not attending the event this year), we were happy to see that many of them did show up to see a game (of course, it is entirely possible that they were there to see someone else, but at least they were there!).

Academic Tryout--My son attended the tryout on Thursday morning.  I didn't count up all the names on the tryout list, but there were quite a few.  My son is an infielder and they split them up into two infielder groups that arrived at different times.  I'd guess each group had about 50 kids.  They then split that group up into smaller groups that went through the various rotations together.  The first rotation was a laser-timed 60, followed by fielding and then hitting.  I had read on this board that it was hard to get a good 60 time at this event given the surface where they run it.  Surprisingly, my son ran his fastest 60 yet!  He has been working on speed with his track coach since the last time he was timed, so he was glad to see his work is paying off.  The fielding part of the tryout was a bit odd and took us by surprise in that the kids had to choose to tryout at either 1st or shortstop, regardless of their position.  My son plays infield corners, but prefers 3rd, so he chose shortstop over 1st base.  He was doing great, and then for his last drill he got a slow roller that took a weird bounce off the mound and he bobbled it, though quickly recovered and made a good throw.  I guess one piece of advice I would offer is if your infielder plays anything other than 1st, have them practice fielding from the shortstop position before this event.  My son would have been better prepared had we known this in advance.   He had a great hitting tryout--hit one over the fence, one halfway up the fence and the rest were all hit hard.  Unfortunately, he did not get selected for the game.  In retrospect, it may have been better for him to have chosen 1st base for the fielding portion.  There were fewer kids at that position and I think his hitting would have given him an edge.  We did go watch a few innings of the game that evening and, as expected, there were lots of scouts there and playing in the big stadium would have been a highlight for sure.   Aside from the pitchers, my impression was that there were fewer scouts watching the tryouts themselves than I had expected.  They were milling around for sure, but I didn't see a big group of them for the fielding or hitting portions like there was for the pitchers. 

Games--As others have reported, for this event, the games are run strictly on 2 hour schedules (however many innings you can get in)--usually 5 batters per half inning (though sometimes we did 3 outs or 5 batters, whichever came first).  We had two games on Friday, one on Sat and one on Sun.  Son ended up with 7 at bats in 4 games.  We had 2-3 scouts coming and going for our games on Fri, lots of them watching most of our game on Sat and a good number on Sun.  I think a lot depends on location of your games--the ones played on one of the fields in the 4 field "clover" seemed to get more scout attention than the ones at the two fields that were off on their own a bit.  Son did pretty well yesterday, but only had 2 at bats and didn't get a full piece of either.  Only 2 at bats today also, but he hit a bomb to the fence and several of the schools he's been contacting were there watching, so that was good!

If I was writing this summary after just the academic tryout or even after the first games on Fri, I would have said the trip was not what I was expecting in terms of exposure/scout presence but by the end of the weekend, I think it was a worthwhile event.  I still agree with many people on here who noted that the pitchers tend to get the most attention, but I am happy with the exposure we got in the end, the event is very well run and the weather was fantastic! 

Last edited by 2020Hopeful
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We were there for the academic try out and games as well..

My son tried as a pitcher but didn't get selected for the academic game too.  If there is any pitchers that are thinking of going out there next year, be prepared the pitchers were pretty good and pretty tall. My son is only 5'9'' so he seemed short compared to a lot of the other pitchers that seemed like at least 5'12" to over 6' and and you need luck of getting at good catcher!

The catcher that my son had couldn't catch any low corner balls or any balls that came a little higher than the stroke zone... seemed like he could only catch balls that was coming right in front of his chest  It was so frustrating to see this.. Two pitchers are up for bull pens in front of the scouters. Unintentionally I videoed the pitcher that was pitching next to my son.. he was taller but didn't think we has so much better than my son. I did not have a speed gun so I can't talk about the speed.. But definitely he had a way better catcher that caught all the corner balls and some other balls that my son's catcher could not catch. Later the roster showed he got picked for the game....  so another factor that I did not think of and do not have any control is the catcher you get.  There were 148 kids that tried out as a pitcher and they picked 22 pitchers.. It was a lot of pitchers! 

As 2020HOPEFULL mentioned the games were on a time limit.. no scores were kept and only 5 batters per inning. Our team had one game each day. A lot of scouters on Friday and Saturday. On our Saturday game saw about 20 scouters watching our game.. they seemed to look for specific player and left after they were pitching or hitting.  

Good feedback and I hope those that posted who made the Academic tryouts will try again as Seniors next Fall.  Remember, by October of Senior year, coaches at the academic schools are scouring to find players who can not only play, but have the academic credentials to be serious candidates for admission at their schools.  By October of Senior year, the kids have three years of grades, likely have their senior year classes set, and will have their SAT and/or ACT test scores set. 

When my 2017 played in the Senior Academic Game, there were 50 or more coaches scouting the game, and I think there were more than 75 at the tryouts that morning.  That is a great recruiting opportunity for a non-committed senior who can not only likely meet the admissions criteria, but may also be able to handle the rough workload of academics at a tough school and playing baseball.  So while it may not have led to much as a Junior, interest and chances may be better as a Senior.

Cottoncandy, funny, I overheard someone at the event talking about that same issue!

Backstop22, you make a really good point.  I can see the interest level at the Senior Classic for the academic tryout being much higher than at the Junior.  My son just got an email from a high academic D3 school a couple weeks ago saying it’s still too early in their process for 2020s, but that they want to keep in touch. I do expect my son will try out again next year if he is not committed.  

My son (2020 RHP) played in the Junior Classic and did the Academic Try-outs as well. My husband said there were about a dozen coaches with radar guns there. He was selected and played in the Academic Game the same evening. It was a marathon day. Reported for try-outs at 8:45 am. Took a nap in the car :-). Played a game with his club team at 3 pm. Then played the Academic Game at 6 pm - he was pitcher #10 of 11 so waited in the bull pen for about 3 hours before it was his turn. Overall, a great experience but he said it was hard to be at his best after such a long day. Lots of coaches in attendance at the Academic Game and a few of them came to watch him pitch on Saturday. He is attending the HeadFirst camp in Phoenix (we're local) this weekend and at least 3 of the schools that he is talking to will be there. Good to hear the comments about the Senior Classic in case we are still on this journey a year from now!

BBMomAZ posted:

My son (2020 RHP) played in the Junior Classic and did the Academic Try-outs as well. My husband said there were about a dozen coaches with radar guns there. He was selected and played in the Academic Game the same evening. It was a marathon day. Reported for try-outs at 8:45 am. Took a nap in the car :-). Played a game with his club team at 3 pm. Then played the Academic Game at 6 pm - he was pitcher #10 of 11 so waited in the bull pen for about 3 hours before it was his turn. Overall, a great experience but he said it was hard to be at his best after such a long day. Lots of coaches in attendance at the Academic Game and a few of them came to watch him pitch on Saturday. He is attending the HeadFirst camp in Phoenix (we're local) this weekend and at least 3 of the schools that he is talking to will be there. Good to hear the comments about the Senior Classic in case we are still on this journey a year from now!

Most coaches realize it's very tough to sit around for hours and then go on the bump and perform.  My son had many coaches tell him that, so they're aware.  Sounds like he fared well, congrats!

Last edited by CTbballDad

I came in with my 2019 RHP last year to only tryout for the Junior Academic game. He wasn't on a team.  It was a hot day and there were a lot of scouts though probably not as many as I expected. He pitched decent but the Velo wasn't high enough that day to get into the academic game.  We waited around till 2 pm and after we got the word(dissapointment) that he didn't make it , I called up SW and moved our flight up to that night. It ended up being a eye opener for him and we shut him down after that game and started the process for next year. 

This year he was focused on the Senior academic game and we came with a team so we were staying whether or not he made the game or not. 

At the tryout there was probably 4-5x as many scouts(100+) as there was at the Junior game- from all levels of college baseball .  There were less kids trying out to pitch as well- low 100's.    He pitched well and made the game . After the previous year struggles, you should of seen his face when he found out that he made the game! It was worth the whole thing...He also pitched well in the game that night in front of a lot of scouts - a surreal experience for myself(I told him that it was even better than when he had that great game as a 10 yr old on all star team) . He also pitched SAT AM before the rains came and washed out everything.  

Now it is 2 weeks later for son. we had a lot of contacts from many schools  since the Senior classic- Though many were from D3 schools some of which we hadnt heard of before scattered all over the country.  Had a few D1 reach outs and with the lateness of everything for 2019 he decided to commit to D1 that we had previously visited as he didn't want to gamble ..  It is always a gamble of sorts. 

For all the 2020's and parents that came to the Junior games this year I would surely try to focus on next year's senior games if he hasn't commited by then. There are a lot of opportunities for them if he can perform well at the tourny.

Last edited by fishnsail
CTbballDad posted:
BBMomAZ posted:

Most coaches realize it's very tough to sit around for hours and then go on the bump and perform.  My son had many coaches tell him that, so they're aware.  Sounds like he fared well, congrats!

This is true for hitting as well.  With the 5 batter format and the need to give everyone an opportunity to be seen, my son sat on the bench for 4 or 5 innings between his two times up to bat in a game.   He said it was tough to go out there and give it your best swing after sitting on the bench for so long. 

BBMom, you're lucky to live close to so many events--a lot easier on the pocket book and time off school!  I wish we could do the HF event, but just couldn't swing both events back to back weekends.  There are also some good events the first weekend of Nov, but son is signed up for first SAT that weekend.  I think we may be done with baseball events until mid winter...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.