Skip to main content

I have heard that some states are considering swapping HS football with baseball (it is starting to circulate among HS coaches as well). Nothing concrete that I can see, but there is definitely light chatter on it.  https://www.pressofatlanticcit...e4-d9f52946b9c3.html

It makes sense to me, as I doubt HS football will start in the Fall on time since it is a close contact sport, has larger rosters, and has a lot of fans.  Also, there was no Spring football this past year, and there are significant restrictions on summer workouts.

Baseball, on the other hand, lost the Spring season, and is pretty much going strong now. 

Anybody else hear anything? 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I wouldn't say baseball is going pretty strong right now. There is no MLB season as of right now, most collegiate summer leagues cancelled, a lot of college have fall still up in the air, no recruiting. Even in NJ (the state the article is written in) they were just allowed to have their first practice today with games not starting for another 2 weeks. 

NJSIAA must be ignoring the fact that once Oct 1 hits it is no longer baseball weather. Not uncommon for 30 degrees in Oct with the occasional snow. To me it's just a lot of talk about nothing and nobody really knows what is going to happen next month let alone next school year. 

I think we look at our personal experiences and figure there are work arounds on the virus. There are for home and most professional environments. It’s skewed our view of sports are ready to return. 

But as more and more professional athletes test positive it makes me question the potential for professional and big time college sports to return anytime soon. If big time sports aren’t in front of us, school administrators and parents are going to question kids returning to the field. 

I heard from somebody who would know that the SCIAC (D3 college conference) was possibly moving contact sports to the spring and spring non-contact sports to the fall.  There was no mention of specific sports, but I would take that to mean that football and soccer and probably basketball would move to spring, but I'm not sure that baseball or softball qualify as non-contact, so I think the only spring sports likely to move would be track, tennis, and maybe ladies lax.  (SCIAC doesn't offer men's lax, which has much, much more contact than ladies)

@JCG posted:

I heard from somebody who would know that the SCIAC (D3 college conference) was possibly moving contact sports to the spring and spring non-contact sports to the fall.  There was no mention of specific sports, but I would take that to mean that football and soccer and probably basketball would move to spring, but I'm not sure that baseball or softball qualify as non-contact, so I think the only spring sports likely to move would be track, tennis, and maybe ladies lax.  (SCIAC doesn't offer men's lax, which has much, much more contact than ladies)

Thats interesting...my son plays in the SCIAC but we havnt heard this yet.  Not saying its not a possibility but very interesting.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.