Skip to main content

@Smitty28 posted:

The players shouldn't have a vote, they are getting a $75k scholarship.  If they don't want to play their career is over.  The coaches and administration are busting their butts to get the players on the field,   Look at what happened to Army football - Pac 12 opponent voted not to play because they didn't want to prepare for the option offense.  It had nothing to do with health and safety.

Should probably separate the 2 issues.

Players are getting a 75k scholarship,  note, they put in more than 30 hrs per week training, then have to do their academics.

Note, if they are getting 75k, then how much is the school making off of them?

As for Army vs a Pac-12, normally you get a couple of weeks to prepare for a team.  One week preparation is not feasible.

Chalk it up to 2020, a weird year.

Trying to stick to the OP topic, one thing that hasn't been mentioned...

Here's one of the significant challenges with the schedule changes when it comes to filling out the traditional non-conference schedules -  most of the P5 schools have stringent protocols in place that require expensive regular testing among other things.  Most mid-majors don't have the budget for thsoe protocols even if it were a good year.  So there is still much work to be done to figure out how those non-conference games can be played.

I'm going to painfully extend this discussion with the idea that honest discussions on race/gender/identity politics in sports can happen in a civil fashion.

It’s hard to have the difficult discussions in print due to the lack of tone and expression. It allows for misinterpretation.

Last edited by RJM
@cabbagedad posted:

Here's one of the significant challenges with the schedule changes when it comes to filling out the traditional non-conference schedules -  most of the P5 schools have stringent protocols in place that require expensive regular testing among other things.  Most mid-majors don't have the budget for thsoe protocols even if it were a good year.  So there is still much work to be done to figure out how those non-conference games can be played.

I understand that....but in the case of the B1G, they played conference only for football and said it was because of the exact reason you mentioned.  They are letting basketball play non-conference against anyone they want and some games are being scheduled/rescheduled on 48 hours notice with mid-majors.   Why would baseball be worried about non-conference games OUTDOORS if they aren't worried about it in basketball?

I understand that....but in the case of the B1G, they played conference only for football and said it was because of the exact reason you mentioned.  They are letting basketball play non-conference against anyone they want and some games are being scheduled/rescheduled on 48 hours notice with mid-majors.   Why would baseball be worried about non-conference games OUTDOORS if they aren't worried about it in basketball?

A.  Basketball makes money

B.  See A

@cabbagedad posted:

This ^^^^^

BIG has the most stringent protocol rules for testing, so I am told.

@baseballhs posted:

Are you saying for a specific conference NCAA hasn't approved?  Our coach posted the other day on twitter that although the schedule wasn't finalized, Feb. 19 was official start date.  

That was the approved start date for D1, but maybe not everyone can start that date due to weather. Northern teams arent going to travel south, and I am not sure about the minimum or maximum games allowed for playoffs. 

@TPM posted:

Sorry yes but not necessarily approved. There are a lot of issue out there.

Did TT announce their schedule?

No. Big 12 AD's haven't voted on the schedule format as of yet. Expect it around the first week of Jan.

They did have Minnesota (in Minnesota) on the schedule. Perhaps the B10 will change their mind again. They did have Clemson (in Lubbock) on the prelim schedule also as well as UNLV. Not sure now, but hopeful those games stay on the schedule.

Pretty sure the B12/SEC challenge will stay on the schedule at Globe Life Park - Texas, TTU, TCU, Ole Miss, Miss St and Arkansas. Arlington deserves to see a couple decent baseball games in 2021. Same with Shriners/Minute Maid - TTU, TAMU, UH, Rice, TCU, Texas State, Sam Houston (or something like that).

@Go44dad posted:

No. Big 12 AD's haven't voted on the schedule format as of yet. Expect it around the first week of Jan.

They did have Minnesota (in Minnesota) on the schedule. Perhaps the B10 will change their mind again. They did have Clemson (in Lubbock) on the prelim schedule also as well as UNLV. Not sure now, but hopeful those games stay on the schedule.

Pretty sure the B12/SEC challenge will stay on the schedule at Globe Life Park - Texas, TTU, TCU, Ole Miss, Miss St and Arkansas. Arlington deserves to see a couple decent baseball games in 2021. Same with Shriners/Minute Maid - TTU, TAMU, UH, Rice, TCU, Texas State, Sam Houston (or something like that).

I've got my hotel booked and all my fingers and toes crossed

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.