Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@SomeBaseballDad I think it has been in the works for a while to allow MLB to build more hype about young players during All-Star week and to not have to draft before/during the CWS. That never made sense. This will also eliminate the short season which cuts down on roster spots they need to fill so they won’t go back to a 40 round draft. Not denying that COVID may have accelerated the move but I don’t think that’s the only motive.

@PTWood posted:

@SomeBaseballDad  Not denying that COVID may have accelerated the move but I don’t think that’s the only motive.

It has to be something they are thinking about. How the hell do you have a draft with no college baseball for two seasons. Even considering some colleges here and there may play that's a lot of kids that will be unknowns. So it seems like summer college leagues will be very popular for both players and scouts. The kid played at Grand Park over the summer and even though the draft was over plenty of scouts milling about. 

College baseball coaches have been complaining for years the draft near or at the time of the CWS is a distraction. I remember years ago one player pouting on the field all week when he wasn’t drafted. The kid didn’t smile all week even when his team was winning.

If there isn’t going to be short season ball the players can focus on physical training for the following year. 

Last edited by RJM
@baseballhs posted:

That also opens things up for older sophomores.  So a player who turns 21 within 45 days of the draft will now be eligible.  21 by August 27.  Even more kids in the pool.

With the covid year, there are going to be a lot of draft eligible freshmen. The pool of eligible players is going to be massive for the next few years. My guess is that there will be a reduced draft with plenty of freshmen and sophomores drafted and a lot of junior/senior signs. 

@PABaseball posted:

With the covid year, there are going to be a lot of draft eligible freshmen. The pool of eligible players is going to be massive for the next few years. My guess is that there will be a reduced draft with plenty of freshmen and sophomores drafted and a lot of junior/senior signs. 

And a lot of kids that normally would have been drafted will be signing free agent deals for nothing.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.