Skip to main content

@PABaseball posted:

I would imagine everybody taken with a slot pick has worked out some sort of deal prior to drafting or had a number that had already been established and the club knows they can hit it despite the slot being lower.

People tend to lose their jobs when slot picks don't end up signing

I am sure that you are aware that the first few rounds are usually pre deals all in place.  For instance Rocker's deal is about 2mil less than the slot, this gave the Rangers the ability to offer and make more deals in the next few rounds. All has to be approved by MLB to make sure they don't go over their $$ allotment.

@tpm yes.  Played rookie season last year on one of the organizations complex teams and this year is on the other one which seems like the team full of players on the way up rather than down.  Had some arm trouble early, but is fine now.

He technically should be out of the complex by now but perhaps his injury kept him back.

Now that the draft is over teams will be releasing players so hopefully he will move up.

@mattys posted:

there were 2 fa signees out of hs?  that's surprising to me

There are only twenty rounds now. These are kids who probably aren’t college material and not worth bonus money. They used to be drafted in rounds. 35-40. It’s also possible they connected to people in the the organization by relation or close friendship.

Mike Piazza was drafted in the 60th round by the Dodgers. It was a favor  between two lifelong buddies, Tom Lasorda and Piazza’s father. One of my son’s travel teammates was drafted in the 39th round (of forty) by his uncle.

@RJM posted:

There are only twenty rounds now. These are kids who probably aren’t college material and not worth bonus money. They used to be drafted in rounds. 35-40. It’s also possible they connected to people in the the organization by relation or close friendship.

Mike Piazza was drafted in the 60th round by the Dodgers. It was a favor  between two lifelong buddies, Tom Lasorda and Piazza’s father. One of my son’s travel teammates was drafted in the 39th round (of forty) by his uncle.

Piazza and Lasorda, my Norristown buddies.   To RJM's point, in 2019, there was a HS kid throwing mid 90's a town over.  He was committed to a great JUCO but wanted to get started on a pro career.  Yanks drafted him in the 36th round, and he went for no money.   I would assume if they offered him as a free agent this year (if this was his draft year), he would have gone.   Unfortunately, he got hurt, but I think he's back in action. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.