Skip to main content

Out of curiosity, adbono, what do you think about the 101-200-ranked D1 programs?

hbaseball, you got great practical advice from BBSBfan.  If you want to stay in the midwest/south-midwest, there are many, many D3 schools, and also D2s and non-top-100 D1s.  If you want a 4-year experience, focus on those.  Look at rosters from this year and last, and see who gets playing time, and how many of the upperclassmen transferred from JUCOs or D1s.  At some D1 and D2 schools it's almost all of them - think of it, that means that 2 years of freshmen are now off the team.

Superscore is what matters, so your ACT is 30.

@@anotherparent, what I know (not think) is that far too many HS players (and parents) are delusional about their aspirations to play D1 baseball. That was the case before Covid but now it’s even more unrealistic now - for the overwhelming majority of HS players moving on to play college baseball. There are just too many experienced players that are proven - and coaches will always defer to experienced players. Most of the players in top D1 programs have pro ball aspirations and that is realistic if a player is successful at a P5 or ranked mid-major. Once you get past those programs pro aspirations are not so realistic. If pro ball is not in your future what difference does it make if you play at a not top 100 D1, D2, D3, or NAIA. I say it makes no difference. Go to the place that’s the best fit - in all respects. Academically, socially, athletically, etc. And by all means go where you are wanted. Any kid with  30+ ACT should be looking at HA schools regardless of the classification. The baseball side of things drives too many of the decisions when in reality it’s only a factor in the short term.

LHP;

in addition to Adbono "words of wisdom" I would ask you several questions.

1. Have you pitch to College age hitters? Is there a College in your "home area"? Maybe you can request to throw BP to their hitters.

2. "Metrics" might open several doors, however the actual game requires the "ability to adjust pitch by pitch.

The "speed" of the batted ball can only be measured by the pitcher in game conditions.

Are you age 15 or 16?

Bob

PS: When I was age 50. The SF Giants honored my request to throw BP before the game.

My reflexes were above average from playing indoor handball.

After throwing BP, I decided to play SS,  Jack Clark the Giants #4 hitter appeared and his first swing produced a "ground" ball - was a blur!  I could not "get' my glove quick enough to the dirt. The Giants coaches enjoy this scene and suggest that I retired to the OF. Which I quickly did.

Sorry, have a ton of respect for everyone on this thread, but are we telling a 2023 6'4" LF pitcher touching 90 he's not D1 caliber?

Was at an A10 game today and saw them roll out 2 consecutive leftys throwing 83-84 (yes I know not the norm). This is a team that won their conference in the last 5 years.

This A10 team also lost their Friday night low 90s LHP to a P5 via the transfer portal this season.

Last edited by nycdad

I will support my earlier posts with an anecdotal story that happened recently. Last week I ran into the RC from a ranked mid-major who I know pretty well. I got to know him when he recruited my son and we still communicate regularly. I asked him about a HS teammate of my son’s who is a freshman RHP at his program. Specifically I asked why Nick has only gotten one inning so far this year. His answer was , “we like him but we don’t need him. We have plenty of guys with experience that we know we can count on.”

I definitely agree with all the responses. My aspirations right now don't really include pro ball, and I'm not sure they ever will unless something drastically changes. Over these past few months I've started to realize that division really doesn't matter if I don't want to go pro. And as adbono said, there's no point in being unrealistic and trying to play with people who don't have the same goals as you. I think I've been thinking pretty realistically about where I could end up, and I definitely know that P5 would probably not be the place for me. I've pretty much been asking about D1 because I know that Ivies and D3 don't give athletic scholarships, and I was thinking maybe if I went to a mid-major I might be able to get some money. I'm still very interested in HA D1, though. Also, it takes a while to get over the "d1 or bust" mindset but I think that I'm past it. I pretty much just want to have fun while competing at a level where I could get solid playing time for 3 or 4 years.

I know someone asked if the grades match, and they definitely do--they would probably reflect an act score higher than 30 because I didn't study for the act.  Also, I appreciate everyone recommending juco, but my goals in college probably wouldn't realistically align with that.

In regards to pitching experience, I do have experience playing against people older than me, but I haven't pitched above 18u. I've played on an 18u showcase team in smaller tournaments since I was 14 (I'm 16 now). I've also pitched in the highest high school baseball classification in my state since I was 14. I have great control of my fastball and can hit spots well in game situations. My change up is pretty good as well. However, my curveball is more of a get-me-over pitch and needs work.

as a side note, over the past few hours I reached out to 4 Ivy schools. 2 have already responded and seem very interested so thank you for the advice to branch out.

Last edited by hbaseball
@Brensdad posted:

Good for you, your a division 1 pitcher right now with those metrics.

As Bob said, metrics alone don’t make you a D1 player - and he is 100% correct. I think the belief that a certain set of metrics automatically qualifies a player as D1 is one of the biggest and most common misconceptions on this board. The most experienced baseball people will all tell you this is not true. Metrics can help open a door but it will close quickly if you aren’t a really good (and productive) player. Everyone wants the trophy before they run the race.

Thanks, adbono, for your useful clarifications.  I've watched various players move through college baseball, and I agree with all you say, and I'd add one thing about metrics.  I entirely agree that metrics are not enough, that hitting 90 or running a 6.8 60 will not get you recruited by D1s by themselves (never mind lead to playing time or success).  You have to have more than that.  However, without those metrics, you're not likely to get D1 interest at all.  Many people don't understand that part.  Bob's story about fielding explains why.  I had never understood that part until I read a similar story here.  That's why this site is so useful for non-baseball people.

To the OP:  Ivies and many D3s offer a lot of need-based financial aid, and some D3s also offer a lot of merit scholarships.  You won't know what your family can afford until you go through the process.  Most colleges have a financial aid calculator on their website, it will give you an idea.

Lots of good advice. But for me there are some things missing here.

I agree that just because the pitcher has D1 metrics doesn't mean that he is D1 material.  It doesn't always work that way. It may not mean that they are D2 or D3 either.

Without seeing you play your positon at your best, it's hard to determine where you actually fall in the big picture.  Sending emails with little playing experience outside of HS and still recovering from an injury, won't cut it the way things are these days, especially if you live in a baseball hotbed (not sure of your location).  You need to get in front of coaches, to be seen and you have the summer and fall to do it.

Without that, it's not going to work unless you are willing to put out some $$ to get a pcoach who can evaluate you and make suggestions to get you ready for summer and fall, then find a travel team that can offer you a travel opportunity. Or attend an event in your area or  camp for some exposure, but don't do it until you are 100% better.

JMO

One more thing that Pitchingfan hit on. Lefties do not have to throw over 90 or to be successful but rather have other "stuff" that gets players out. 

Last edited by TPM

I don't think I've said this yet because I didn't really want the goal of this thread to be an evaluation as to whether I'm D1 or not, but I actually do have a scholarship offer for a competitive mid major program. I feel like it would be impossible to determine my ability to pitch at the D1 level just from metrics because no one's seen me pitch before, so I might attach videos in the future. Also, I'm lucky enough to be in contact with a pro scout that I'd trust to be honest with me, and he was astonished that I'm not committed anywhere and has been helping me get into contact with several schools. Again, I don't want this to sound like I'm bragging, but I want to steer the topic of this thread in a different direction. My original goal with this was to document my progress and ask for recruiting/camp advice from people who've been there before.

Congrats on the progress you’ve made, that’s fantastic.

I would encourage you to keep in mind the difference that one can have at various levels. It can be a lot of fun being a four year starter and the staff ace at a D3, as opposed to being a bullpen guy who sees a few innings here or there at a D1.  And most private D3’s have a lot of academic scholarship money to give out, especially if the coaching staff is trying to land a gem.

Congrats again… For the benefit of those who have been following and others that may have a similar path in the future, at what point in your recovery did you get this offer?  What is your inference as to what the coach saw at that time (e.g. projectibility,  velo, etc)?  What advice would you give those that follow as to when they should reach out while recovering?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.