Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I haven't been to this event since it was much smaller, back in 2006.  Seems weird to go and have no games at Terry Park nor at the Player Development Complex.  Hoping we can win enough to see those venues before we're done.

I wondered aloud on this site some years back whether the ever-accelerating recruiting time table would eventually make this a more important event for recruiting than Jupiter, with Jupiter becoming more and more of a pro-oriented event.  Perhaps the ability to accommodate the skyrocketing demand for team slots at Ft. Myers will speed along that transition.

In 2006, there were almost no college coaches on hand.  I'll be interested to see how many are at our games this weekend.

Last edited by Midlo Dad
Originally Posted by redbird5:

It is larger than previous years, I believe.  Win your pool and move on.  

On what team is your son playing?

Illinois Indians. Went 3-1 at your trademark tourney in AZ last month.

Our upperclass lost chance for Jupter last week in Iowa losing the championship game. Some kids playing with us here

From responses I'm getting from college coaches we have contacted, There will be many on hand.

Midlo,

Wish I could find an old post where I mentioned how things are going to be changing quickly in recruiting.  I too remember not that long ago when hardly any colleges would show up to watch underclassmen play.  Now days, all the big time schools are after the best young players. If they wait too long, they lose out!

So I don't know for sure who all will be there, I do know there will be 208 team's worth of good players in one fairly small city, many of these players among the very best prospects in their class. That gets college coaches pretty excited. Also, many of these kids will end up filling up college camps, so it helps make money for their college program. But most importantly, it is about recruiting and/or creating some pro interest.

Also, for the record, a very large number of these kids will end up at the big showcase events. PG National, Tournament of Stars, East Coast Pro, Area Codes. Some might even end up in the PG All American game that is televised each year and has over 70 players already who have made their MLB debut.

It's amazing how many of the top draft picks we have first seen at these underclass events. The amount of talent never fails to amaze me.

We saw more at showcases than at PG in Atl this Summer.  Loved the experience but am more realistic now.  if u play a game and don't pitch the day the scouts r there then they don't see u.  If they r there and u don't have the game of your life then u don't get noticed.  We had a teammate who is an amazing player have scout show up to watch him and he didn't get one hit or have opportunity to make defensive plays. Frustrating to say the least. How many chances will they have to be seen before they r removed from schools look at list? Do you have to wow them every time?

We are at every game. No one that is a high level player will go unnoticed.  The first time we saw Jose Fernandez there were no scouts there because no one knew who he was. But everyone that follows our stuff knew what he did that day. He was never ignored again, hundreds of scouts watched him pitch in Jupiter just two years ago and he became a first round pick. He will probably be the NL Rookie of the Year this year.

People don't seem to comprehend that we report to every Major League Scouting Department. And they all subscribe to our scouting service.  The same thing holds true with most all of the nations top college programs.

Of course we do make mistakes at times, but you get pretty good at this stuff after scouting several thousand talented kids every year and seeing many of them reach the very top.

My son and I were there last year with the Evoshield Canes for the WWBA UpperClass. It is the single best tournament I have ever been to. Nothing else is even close. The amount of schools and pro scouts that attend is just hard to imagine, you have to see it to believe it.

Being associated with the Canes and making it to the final 4 was sweet, the talent I saw was incredible. I wish my son was going again......

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.