Skip to main content

Since the topic of how Eckstein's play might affect recruiting was brought up, I thought I'd mention 3 smaller guys from North Carolina who either have, or WILL make some noise on a college field.
1- Mike Cavasinni,soph.,of, UNC. Most of you saw him in the CWS.
2- Addison Johnson, fresh., Clemson. Another small guy who can really play. Not sure what his pos. will be at Clemson. He was p/of in high school.
3- Tyler Hanover, '08, mif, from East Forsyth HS near Winston Salem will be one of the top 2,or 3 players in his class in NC. He may be the best of these 3.

And, although I didn't say 4 in the title of the thread, I should also mention Chris Engle at NC State. He has made a nice contribution to the pitching staff there. I'll also be interested in keeping up with the kid who plays for TRHit's team.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Addison is listed at OF/LHP on Clemsons roster. His Left handed genes make up for shorter statue.
BTW, of the 35 listed on Clemson's fall roster you will find the following:

OF listed as 5'9"
RHP listed as 5'9"
walk on catcher listed as 5'9"
INF listed as 5'9"
2B/SS listed as 5'9"
OF/LHP listed as 5'7" (Addison Johnson)
C listed as 5'10"
INF listed as 5'11"
C/OF listed as 5'11"
RHP listed as 5'11"
LHP listed as 5'10"
LHP listed as 5'11"
INF listed as 5'10"

13 out of 35 players under 6 foot. Proving you do not have to be 6 foot or over to play D1 ball. 11 of those players throw left handed.
TPM,
I understand the point you are making. Like it or not though, there are programs
where size makes a difference. Here is a summary of a Pac 10 recruiting class, that pretty much reflects most every recruit since 1999.

"****** and his staff signed first baseman , a 6-4, 205-pound left-hander); , a 6-1, 185-pound left-handed pitcher; , a 6-4, 225-pound right-handed pitcher; , a 6-1, 185-pound shortstop; and , a 6-1, 180-pound shortstop.

Also signed were , a 6-3, 210-pound left-handed pitcher; , a 6-4, 200-pound right-handed pitcher; , a 6-0, 175-pound outfielder); , a 6-1, 200-pound third baseman; and, a 6-3, 225-pound catcher."

This program let it be known that they questioned whether our son, a 5'11", 155lb senior had the strength to be able to play.
The lack of size and strength reduces your choices, by a lot, in DI accessability.
Last edited by infielddad
Virginia Dad, Big Grin.
To be honest, I think every DI coach would have recognized the talent in those two and been willing to "give" them a chance.
What is frustrating is the players in the next tier groups who are under 6', have very good talent, but are still growing/late developing. Our son grew nearly 2" and put on 25 pounds by the time he was a college sophomore.
One can only hope that with the continued success of teams like Oregon St, Texas, UNC,Clemson and the like, there will be a greater emphasis on athleticism, speed, skills and execution. Those are "harder" and more time consuming to scout and judge, I guess. But when you compete against Oregon St every year and they use their speed and aggressiveness to beat your physical strength and "plodding" base to base approach, you would think either the coach will change his approach..or the coach will be changed for not succeeding.
Last edited by infielddad
Infield Dad,

I'm with you 100% on that. The problem is that there is a misconception in my view that if you are a great player, you will be found. You won't be if you don't get a chance to play. In my view there are too many good young athletes that are just being overlooked at the college level because of an artificial size bias.

Although it was not a size question in his case (rather one of opportunity), I wonder what might have happened to Mike Piazza if he had not been related to the former Dodger manager.
Last edited by Virginia Dad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.