Skip to main content

The boy, a 2010 lhp has an opportunity to take two JC classes in the fall and spring and could earn a total of 15 transferable units. He only needs two classes to graduate HS. Concievably he could graduate HS in the fall, take 4 classes in the spring and raise his potential transferable units to 21. The coaches who are currently recruiting him (D1 in SoCal) love the prospect of him coming on board with x amount of college credit. Before a decision can be made, there are a couple of questions that need to be addressed.

1. How many JC units can be transferred to a D1 school, acquired as a HS student?

2. If he does graduate in the fall, takes a full load (15 units) would that negatively effect his elegbilty
as a player at a 4 year college?

3. What is a gray shirt?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I can try to answer one of your questions...I believe a gray shirt is typically a term used in football for recruits who enroll in school in January (ie after football season is over). This gives the players all spring and summer to work out and practice with the team, without losing any eligibility and without using a redshirt season.

I'm not sure what the exact application is to baseball, since I don't think entering school in January would get a baseball player around the redshirt rule since baseball is a spring sport. Hopefully others can chime in and clarify that part of the issue.
I can answer part of your questions but realize that every college is different.

My son's college gave him 17 units of credit for his 2 college classes (taken in hs) and his AP classes. Each college is different and many would not have been so generous. This is a great buffer for the player as far as staying on track to graduate.

Personally, I think my son had such a great time his senior year in hs that he would not have wanted to graduate early and miss it. Why is he in such a hurry to get out of high school?

I would contact the college admissions and ask them directly their policy regarding this. The answer will be the same for all students, not just athletes.
quote:
Originally posted by CaBB:
I can answer part of your questions but realize that every college is different.

My son's college gave him 17 units of credit for his 2 college classes (taken in hs) and his AP classes. Each college is different and many would not have been so generous. This is a great buffer for the player as far as staying on track to graduate.

Personally, I think my son had such a great time his senior year in hs that he would not have wanted to graduate early and miss it. Why is he in such a hurry to get out of high school?

He's not really a party guy and most of his friends have graduated.
quote:
1. How many JC units can be transferred to a D1 school, acquired as a HS student?
Depends on the school. The NCAA will accept the credits, if they do appear on the JC transcript, but don't appear (I believe) on the high school transcript.
quote:
2. If he does graduate in the fall, takes a full load (15 units) would that negatively effect his eligbilty as a player at a 4 year college?
Yes, it will affect his eligibility, because of the 5 calendar year rule. A full load in this context is probably 12 hours, even if the JC defines it as 15. Taking 12 hours or more at the JC does two things. 1. It will make him a transfer student. No problem unless he ends up dropping a class or has some other event that gives him less than a 2.0GPA at the JC. 2) It starts the 5 year calendar in January 2010. That means that he will only have 4 calendar years at the D1 school in which to play baseball. So if he attends the JC full-time in Spring 2010, transfers to D1 in the fall of 2010, then his eligibility ends just before spring 2015. In other words, the spring 2014 season would be his last possible season. If he happens to suffer an injury which keeps him from competing for one season, then he would only be eligible for 3 seasons.

Important! Both 1. and 2. could lead to becoming a non-qualifier. For ordinary qualifier status, he needs 16 core courses, and 4 years of English. If he graduates early, then he won't have the 4 years of English. Even if he doesn't graduate early, but does take mostly JC courses, he may inadvertantly miss the core course requirements, unless the JC courses are the right ones, and they appear on his HS transcript. In either case, he can, however, make use of 14.3.1.1.1 Exception—Early Academic Certification. Roughly, that means 13 core courses (3.0 GPA) during the first 3 years of high school, and 1000 on the SATs. Simply graduating from HS is not enough, even though it may be obvious that he is a very good student. If he doesn't meet the detailed official requirements to be a qualifier, he'll either need to sit a year when transfering to a D1, or get an AA degree at the JC. Look carefully at 14.3.1.1, and visit the Clearinghouse website to make sure that your son has for sure taken certified core courses. Sometime the high school may have failed to declare some courses as core, so you really need to check this, since he may be on the ragged edge of having sufficent courses.

quote:
3. What is a gray shirt?

As used on the HSBBW, it simply means to avoid starting the 5 year clock. A player does that by taking less than 12 hours at any college when initially entering college, or in the extreme, not entering college during the semester or year after high school graduation. If he enrolls for less than full-time at a D1, he can't practice, but typically can practice (but not play) if enrolled part-time at a JC.
In football, or other fall sports, it is possible to enter college full-time in the spring, and not suffer any ill consequence. The 5 year clock starts, but football season is over before the clock runs out. In the example above, a football player would have the 5 seasons of fall 2010 through fall 2014 in which to get in his allowed 4 seasons of competition.

It is a poor plan to initially enroll full-time at a JC if the player knows that he isn't going to compete in baseball that year.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove
quote:
Originally posted by CaBB:
3FG- you are amazing! We are lucky to have you on this board. I really appreciate all the time you take to quite the NCAA handbook and make it understandable.

Thank you for always clarifying the difficult to understand NCAA double talk.

Were not worthy, Were not worthy, Were not worthy.

Thank you 3FG.
Last edited by dswann
3finger, thank you as I had the exact questions did a hsweb search and found your reply. Awesome.

So please comment on this approach if it could work and ultimately allow my son the 4 yr in 5 yr at a D1.

Make agreement with D1 coach and JC that he will enroll fall 2010 part time say 9 units at JC, practice and play fall games. If he does not become the starter then takes another 9 units spring and plays in a local non college league and starts college clock in fall 2011. If becomes starter then play year 1 at JC then D1 take him in
fall 2011 as he is a qualifier kid so then has 3 year left.

Would this work?

Thanks,
quote:
Make agreement with D1 coach and JC that he will enroll fall 2010 part time say 9 units at JC, practice and play fall games. If he does not become the starter then takes another 9 units spring and plays in a local non college league and starts college clock in fall 2011. If becomes starter then play year 1 at JC then D1 take him in fall 2011 as he is a qualifier kid so then has 3 year left.

There are three issues to consider:

1) The 5 calendar year rule (and the similar 10 semester rule in D2 and D3). Any intercollegiate competition (including JC fall games and scrimmages) triggers the start of the 5 years or 10 semesters, even if the player is enrolled part time. (14.2.2.1 in D1, 14.2.3.1 in D2/D3)

2) Four seasons of competition. Any intercollegiate competition will consume a season of cempetition. D1 and D2 allow JC players 2 scrimmages prior to any scheduled games if no admission is charged and no score is kept. In D3, any participation (just practice) will consume a season of participation. (14.2.3 in D1, 14.2.4 for D2/D3) For D2 only, a player who doesn't enroll full-time in the fall after HS graduation may consume a season of competition if he plays on a non-collegiate team in which any player receives nearly any kind of expense money. (14.2.4.2)

3) Transfer eligibility. A 2-4 transfer must have attended at least one full-time term (excluding summer) at the 2 year school, or sit out a year. (D1 and D2, 14.5.4.1a)

So,
a) He can attend JC part time in both semesters, without competing, and not use a season of competition or start the 5 year clock. But he is ineligible for competition at a D1 or D2 school during the following year.

b) He can attend part time in the fall, fulltime in the spring, and play. He uses a season of eligibility and starts the 5 year clock before the season begins, which has the same efffect as having started full-time in the fall.

Edited to correct a statement about D3 transfers from JC. For D3, participation including practice which took place at any D3 will consume a season of participation. Practice at non-D3 schools is OK, I believe. That opinion is based on the rationale provided for Proposal 2004-57, item G for changes to rule 14.2.4.1.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.