Skip to main content

In the past few weeks I have watched two of the ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries - The Best that Never Was (Marcus Dupree) and Pony Excess (SMU death penalty) and they were really, really interesting and well done. I guess I was particularly attracted to these two since I previously lived in Oklahoma where Dupree played and I know two of the prominent figures in the SMU scandal and I live in the Dallas area.

Both of these documentaries highlight the illegal recruiting that was going on in football programs in the 80's (and may still be going on in some programs.) I would highly recommend both of these programs if you get a chance to watch them, ESPN is re-airing several of them over the next week.

I have also heard that the 30 for 30 on the University of Miami is also well done, I am hoping to view it as well.

Not many of the 30 documentaries are about baseball - there is one that gives an update on an 1982 LL team from the LL World Series, one on the 2004 Red Sox, and one about Michael Jordan playing in the minor leagues. I can't speak to any of these since I have not seen them but I would highly recommend the two documentaries that I have seen (The Best that Never Was and Pony Excess). Well worth your time if you get a chance to view them.

Is anyone else watching them? Are there other 30 for 30's you have seen that you would recommend?
------------------------------------------------------------ "Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Leo Buscaglia
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

cheapseats,

GREAT discussion topic. I have watched a number of these and have really liked each of them. The MJ one was done well, as was another baseball-related one on Fernando Valenzuela. I have also seen one on Pacers' Star Reggie Miller. The one that blew my mind was entitled "The Two Escobars". It discusses the funding of the Colombian National S****r team by drug cartel leader Pablo Escobar. In my opinion, this is the best one I have seen!
I have watched them all and really enjoyed them. The one I found most interesting was the one on Miami football. The talent that they were able to put together during that stretch was simply amazing to me. And the fact that most of it came from such a small area just blew me away. Of course the entire story line was very interesting as well.

The 30 for 30 documentaries have really been good. Everyone of them has been very interesting and entertaining to watch.
quote:
Originally posted by fillsfan:
Why do you think they advised them to honor the contracts, because it was the right thing to do?

Arrogance was my point...there was so much of it that lawyers did write contracts with the kids and they believed them to be enforceable. Sure there was concern about someone spilling the beans...but it wasn't just that. Their decision was "why take ourselves down and still pay the kids?". They hope to ge away with finishing out those contracts/payrolls without getting caught by the NCAA and not starting new ones.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.