Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by 20dad:
he was an associate coach at san diego state,plus the guy looks like he's in his twentys ,can still hit high 80's. it isn't like he's signed with the sox. and let's face it wouldn't we all want this chance. not to mention he's a nice guy.
I don't doubt any of that but there are many nice guys half his age, with just as much talent in the indepenent Leagues that are just as worthy. He seems to be getting his shot because of his age and his religous affiliation. I understand it is a business, but I can still hope that the game is bigger than the "bean counters" running it
Last edited by rz1
in all reality the league is 4 teams i think and they play in israel, and you need to be jewish. not such a large story if it weren't for his age. if he was twenty and did it would that be any different? it just struck me strange to dump on a guy like this, it isn't like he stole the job.

woody
i coached his son in a local league that's why i know him.you can observe a lot by watching.lol
Last edited by 20dad
That is correct, you need to be jewish to play on the league.
If you read carefully, this player was unable to play on saturdays due to his observance of the sabbath, and I am glad to see he is getting his chance to do what he loves even at 45.

The theme here is to never give up and who really cares if there is more talent in the independent leagues that had nothing to do with the post.

Israel is very big on sports and have their own "olympic style" games for amateur's all over the world, called the maccabi games. It is week long competition where those of the jewish faith come from all parts the world to play, in different areas.
My son was a three year maccabi player and I was able to meet some really nice folks along the way, one of them being a webster who posts here. My son's fourth series was to take place in Israel, but the US Maccabi baseball divison withdrew for safety reasons, as the games would have been held during the first summer that the Israelis and Palestinians began their conflict. There have been many pro athletes that have particiapated in the games as young adults.
Baseball is enjoyed around the world, not just here in america or south america. And enjoyed by those of all faiths.

thanks Frank.
Last edited by TPM
I mentioned this very touching story to a local rabbi. He thought it was great that a dream can always be kept alive.

He was rather surprised that baseball would form a professional league in Israel before American football. He asked me if I knew what the favorite cheer would be in Israeli football.

"Get the quarter back."
Of course few 45 year olds would get a chance to sign a pro contract in the US. There are millions of youth players, and thousands of hs & college players preparing and qualifying to do just that.

However, in smaller countries, with limited or no baseball tradition, the universe of players has to expand. Particularly when the qualitifcations include citizenship or first-generation affiliation. Many pro European teams include players of, shall we say, more advanced years.

Which part of your nose sacrificed skin for this guy's new career, been?
I'm finding the mitt in the attic and heading for The Sports Authority for cleats.

Definitely doing it, well probably doing it, the big comeback is here...uh, maybe, umm, well, maybe, uh, I guess, well no, I'm not doing it. Definitely not.

But isn't it cool that a 45-year-old is really living it? I don't care about his religion or his money or that he might need Saturdays off. He's 45, just like me, and smack in the middle of our collective dream - to play baseball like a kid again. I wish him well and hope he loves every minute.

MJM
quote:
Originally posted by Baseballdad1228:

But isn't it cool that a 45-year-old is really living it? I don't care about his religion or his money or that he might need Saturdays off. He's 45, just like me, and smack in the middle of our collective dream - to play baseball like a kid again. I wish him well and hope he loves every minute.

MJM

I think that was the point of the thread, had nothing to do with whether he had money or not, what his beliefs are. Roll Eyes Good observation. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
If Duquette will stretch to pony up for a 47-year-old, I might be willing to convert!

I'm in no worse shape than David Wells, and only a few years older.

I think the key, though, is that Wells and this Julie fellow are both lefties. Sigh. Southpaws get all the breaks!

Midlo dad- I'll carry your bag if it gets too heavy.

To All,
Let's all back up and look who originated this thread, Yes Andy, you. His intent is to find the buttons that can make people go off. This time it was age and religion. While the story had somewhat of an "atta boy" intent when published, it has turned out the way Andy intended, internal turmoil.
Last edited by rz1
I agree with Tiger Paw Mom...the article was about finally taking advantage of an opportunity that, because of his lifestyle, he was unable to take advantage of earlier. How anyone can read this article and assume it has to due with money is perpetuating a very, very dangerous stereotype...Jewish=Money. Beenthere, I remember you taking a similar stance on a coach in Illinois being reprimanded for making comments about the Holocaust. I hope that I am reading your comments out of context.

This board has no place for racism or prejudice. For the most part, political views are kept off this board...which is appropriate. This board is about BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and should be focused on that...not about racial or ethnic stereotypes. If the guy was good enough at 45 to play, he's good enough to play...period.
boris,

Don't lay that stereotypical card on me. Definitely reading things out of context.

I was born in Lithuania in 1944 and my family fled to Germany because the Russians and Germans were making Lithuania a battleground. The Germans drafted (he had no choice) my father who died in combat at age 22 and left my mother a widow with 2 small children. We emigrated to the US in 1949.

I had nothing to do with the Holocaust. Just because a high school coach in Illinois wasn't as conversant as you are about the Holocaust doesn't make him a bad guy.

Here...the comments I made had nothing at all to do with Jews and money.

In my opinion, I just don't believe a former Major League gm would offer a contract for a 45 year old baseball player unless there was something "more to the story". Likely a gimmick, ala Bill Veeck.

Simple as that.
Last edited by BeenthereIL
Link copied to your clipboard.