Skip to main content

OK, everybody else has a place where they overrate their kids' teams, so why not one more.

Grapevine has the most coming back and wins district.

Colleyville Heritage has strong pitching back...DBU signee and starting QB.

Keller has Muncy and Stafford and ???? coming back. Stramp is a good coach.

Keller Central might be a real sleeper this season...good nucleus coming back.

L.D. Bell is always good.

Fossil Ridge lost some good players, but Delaney is a good coach.

Euless Trinity is very good in football, but I don't know if the Tongan kids play baseball. I really don't know anything about their program.

Northwest is never good and the tradition continues. New coach will have to be a Jedi Master to get anything out of that bunch.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by collikar:
tbf,
Isn't Slusher the returning Grapevine catcher?

Scott played on my son's summer team and was great behind the plate. What surprised me the most about him was he would catch 5 innings and then close out the game on the mound. Not overpowering but great control... He didn't pitch last year in in district which is a mystery to me.
quote:
Originally posted by PAW-FECT:
TYCHCO & COLLIKAR

Would you love birds happen to know if 5-5a have any "ALL AMERICANS"?

Thanks for "over-rating my kids team"!

If passing gas ever becomes a UiL sport, I have two Hall of Famers living with me.

Not overrating...just calling 'em like I see 'em.

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
Tychco, Re-read your thread topic's first sentence. You are now officially the world's worst at "over-rating your kid's team!" Not that he needs you to tout his many successes, as we all are well aware.... Big Grin

I am the world's worst at many things, but Northwest hasn't shown much in the last couple of years...just going off of that.

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkman:
Hey Tychco,
Noah wants some of his sandbags back.

Hi Collikar!

What Noah needs is a pooper scooper. Hey, why don't you go update Hebron's website or something...the 2008 schedule does me no good. Plus, I don't want any lip from you...the Hawks are good every year...
Last edited by tychco
quote:
Originally posted by tychco:
quote:
Originally posted by PAW-FECT:
TYCHCO & COLLIKAR

Would you love birds happen to know if 5-5a have any "ALL AMERICANS"?

Thanks for "over-rating my kids team"!

If passing gas ever becomes a UiL sport, I have two Hall of Famers living with me.

That's funny, I have THREE living with me!

Hi Hawk and Paw!
quote:
OK, everybody else has a place where they overrate their kids' teams, so why not one more.

Grapevine has the most coming back and wins district.

Colleyville Heritage has strong pitching back...DBU signee and starting QB.

Keller has Muncy and Stafford and ???? coming back. Stramp is a good coach.

Keller Central might be a real sleeper this season...good nucleus coming back.

L.D. Bell is always good.

Fossil Ridge lost some good players, but Delaney is a good coach.

Euless Trinity is very good in football, but I don't know if the Tongan kids play baseball. I really don't know anything about their program.

Northwest is never good and the tradition continues. New coach will have to be a Jedi Master to get anything out of that bunch.

Well there goes the neighborhood. Tychco making predictions about 5-5A, that is a scary thought.

While I hope that he knows what he is talking about since I know him so well, I sincerely doubt it.
Remember last year, Colleyville Heritage had the most talent in the District, but floundered. It is all about team chemistry and don't poormouth me about Northwest.

Hopefully, it will be a great year for all of the kids and tychco jr. just needs to get ready to fear the "Top Gun" (thats Air Force lingo not pitching speed).
OK, Here is my stab at it:

1. Grapevine-from what I have read, unbeatable
2. Keller Central-they have many good players back this year
3. L.D. Bell-don't know much about them, but they are usually good
4. Colleyville Heritage-pitching
5. Keller-not sure, but a good hitter in Muncy
6. Justin Northwest-uniforms match, but that is it
7. Fossil Ridge-lost much from last year's team and moving up to 5A
8. Euless Trinity-this ain't football
Last edited by tychco
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
Tychco, Watch out for Trinity...They have a sr. pitcher/catcher combo that is pretty good and a couple of position players that should be solid. I suspect this will be their best team in quite a while...

I admit I don't know anything about their baseball program. If what you say is true, they slide up the scale.
I bumped into Coach Delaney, the Fossil Ridge head baseball coach, over the weekend.

He is a good guy and we visited for a few minutes. He told me he didn't think there would be much separation from top to bottom this year in 5-5A. He feels like the district champ might have 4, maybe 5, losses in district play.

He may be right. If so, it will be fun to watch.
I'll take a crack at this. With the exception of Grapevine, this district has many unproven players/teams - so this may be a down year for the district. But, there always seems to be surprises. I don't know much about L. D. Bell other than they always seem to have a quality team. Here's my somewhat unqualified prediction:

1. Grapevine. Both starting district pitchers return (White, Melotakis). 3B (Brockenbush), SS (Boehmer), catcher (Slusher) and at least one OF return. New regulars (Wettig, Milo, Cammack - P) should be solid additions. Easily the district favorite.
2. L. D. Bell. They had some nice sticks and pitching shown during fall play. I'm guessing some others will add to solid returning regulars.
3. Keller Central. Returning hitters and defense should be solid led by Dyvig. They also have several returning starters and will push for no.2 position.
4. Keller. Muncy is so dominant and should have solid lineup support including Stafford. Not certain about pitching.
5. Northwest. Collins excels in every aspect will have good support plus add solid returning pitching. They're a sleeper to be real good.
6. Colleyville Heritage. Only one returning regular (Hill - and coming off injury) so unproven varsity hitters tot to bottom and unknown defense makes team suspect. Pitching has potential to keep games close.
7. Euless Trinity. Some regular sticks return and can be competitive. They had a solid starting pitcher last year who returns.
8. Fossil Ridge. May struggle out of the gate but they've had a solid past few years so they may have some good newcomers.

Please send scouting reports as scrimmages and tournaments start.
tychco

CHHS has one district starter that was in the hitting line up last year. Hill (4 yr letter) is ready and will be a driving force on this team!
He has played multiple varsity positions catcher, pitcher, SS, 3B, 1B. The other district starter (pitcher only) may or may not be in the line up.
Hitting has seen a famine in the past but CHHS has alot of hungry hitters working smart and hard! Wink

Grapevine does have the top 5-5A district pithers and solid hitting, but I think it is still going to be which coach can pull some "chemistry" out of his hat!
quote:
Hitting has seen a famine in the past but CHHS has alot of hungry hitters working smart and hard!

Maybe PAW can prepare the right recipe because it looks like they haven't eaten in a few years. Really, one cannot predict many runs with so many new faces in the lineup who have never faced varsity pitching. "Potential" may be there but it's not predictable. My 1 - 5 teams have several returning regulars which makes the difference.

Since so many unknown temas in 5-5A, we need others to provide insight on their team and/or on other district teams they've seen.
Get me a bag, I think I'm gonna regurgitate!

quote:
Originally posted by Expo37
6. Colleyville Heritage. Only one returning regular (Hill - and coming off injury) so unproven varsity hitters top to bottom and unknown defense makes team suspect. Pitching has potential to keep games close.

Grapevine does have the top 5-5A district pitchers

quote:
Originally posted by Paw-fect
The other district starter (pitcher only) may or may not be in the line up.

Aaron Gilbreath will be Colleyville's ace! He had around 7 or 8 district wins last year! Including a big win against Arlington Heights and their stud! I'm not taking anything away from Hill. He's a force on the football and baseball field! After spending a summer with Coach McDougal, I guarantee you, he'll have his team in the top four at the end of district and ready to roll into the playoffs.

I predict Keller High and Grapevine will be there, also. As for the four hole, I'm hoping NHS can sneak in.

As for last year's superlative winners...to each his own. The boys that won were outstanding, but so were some of the boys that didn't. It happens every year.
Last edited by collikar
Collikar:

Hope you will feeling better soon!

CHHS has ONE hitter that has seen VARSITY pitching. I know anything is possible....just alot of rookies.

Goldberg will be in the pitching line up ....
He may or may not be in the hitting line up...

5-5a has alot of unknowns...Bell hit the ball good this fall....think it is going to hang with the team that can hit.
Paw, The tourny was COLD (in fact, FRIGID!) So it was a bit hard to judge how things "looked." #1 and #2 did not throw...Suffice to say that my position has not changed...the 3 jrs in the lineup need to hit for GHS to be successful. Pitchers had the better success it seemed. I believe it was...Lubbock Coronado, Midland Lee, Houston Klien, Houston Lamar, and Amarillo Tascosa.
Last edited by Cobra21
Tychco,
quote:

I meant to send this a couple of weeks ago. Colliker's mention of how well Curb is doing this season reminded me of this quote, so I thought I'd remind you!

Outstanding performance via GHS. Then NWHS has 2 on with Tychcoson (or should I say Collikerson) on deck...LDB escaped a bullet.

You are losing credibility with me... Big Grin
NW has had their ups and downs this season. The pitching has been there for the most part...just erratic hitting.

Gilbreath did a great job allowing 2 hits Friday and we couldn't get anything going with him.

We gave Curb no support Tuesday.

NW definitely needs to get it going, or my prediction will come true. Since we are at Keller Friday, it won't be easy.

I still maintain Grapevine, Colleyville Heritage and Keller will be three of the top 4 in 5-5A. Fourth spot up for grabs, but Central and Fossil Ridge making strong noises.
I would put Central ahead of Keller right now. The Indians have to play better defense in tight games and they couldn't give their Friday starter any run support against a very good Central pitching staff. The Chargers deserved that win last Friday (you don't know how hard that was to type....if I am not mistaken, it was the very first time Central has ever beat Keller High)

Although, the Indians being a young team; with Little Stafford on the mound on Tuesdays they are going to be hard to beat. Jordon is a fun kid to watch play the game....and unlike his older brother, he can swing a pretty mean bat as well.
quote:
NW has had their ups and downs this season. The pitching has been there for the most part...just erratic hitting.

Gilbreath did a great job allowing 2 hits Friday and we couldn't get anything going with him.

We gave Curb no support Tuesday.

NW definitely needs to get it going, or my prediction will come true. Since we are at Keller Friday, it won't be easy.

I still maintain Grapevine, Colleyville Heritage and Keller will be three of the top 4 in 5-5A. Fourth spot up for grabs, but Central and Fossil Ridge making strong noises.

T:

Fargo,ND just called... they need some of their sandbags back due to the flood...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.