Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You move an outfielder to the infield. We are thinking of toying around with this. It would be in a situation where they have to bunt, a situation where they cannot afford to slash. It would only be useful for a pitch. A coach from our tournament this weekend was talking about it. He says he brings in an OF and stands him a few feet from the plate. I was just seeing if anyone else had ever seen or heard of it.
Last edited by coachbyrd
quote:
Originally posted by coachbyrd:
You move an outfielder to the infield. We are thinking of toying around with this. It would be in a situation where they have to bunt, a situation where they cannot afford to slash. It would only be useful for a pitch. A coach from our tournament this weekend was talking about it. He says he brings in an OF and stands him a few feet from the plate. I was just seeing if anyone else had ever seen or heard of it.

Honestly, I would never do this. Yeah you're going to take the bunt away with the OF a few feet from the plate but if that guy swings away and hits a screamer at the OF he's toast. It would be humanly impossible to protect yourself in that situation.

There's been many times where I thought it was going to be an obvious bunt situation and I was wrong. Just for the safety of a player I wouldn't do this.

What bunt defenses do you run already?
Lets say they have a guy on 2B, no outs. They have their number 8 or 9 up. Most guys would try to bunt them over to 3rd. So you put an OF 6 feet away from home plate. You throw the batter outside where they cant pull it if they were to slash. Thats the scenario he described to us. Im not endorsing it either way, just curious about it.
I get, I understand it. If I did it I would only do it with runners on 1st & 2nd in a must bunt situation. If you have a runner on 2nd there is nothing that says you have to bunt you could attempt to hit the ball the other way. If I was going to do it I would bring my opposite outfielder in and have him crash in the same manner that I would have the 3rd baseman crash on a wheel play. That way the 3rd baseman could stay put, SS at 2nd base to keep runner close.

In regards to 6 feet away. I agree, if you made my kid do that I would pull him off the field. I mean even my 9 hole hitter could kill a kid 6 feet away.
Byrd,
If you can upload I would like to see it.

Freddy,
I get what you are saying but in the same token it does not hurt to think our of the box. I mean at one time nobody over shifted at the elite level and then they did it to Ted Williams and now they do it a lot. At one time nobody thought about adding a 5th infielder and I have seen many teams, the Rockies off the top of my head, employ and outfielder to play up the middle with the game on the line. At one time everyone held runners on until Bobby Valentine created the hold without holding. Now I do not agree with the original post because you could get a kid killed. However, I do not think there is any reason not to think out of the box.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.