Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Young_Baller,

Like most people, I’m afraid you’ve completely misread and misunderstood the importance of a gun reading for a pitcher at the HS level, and then made your goal the wrong one. If you can figure out how to execute all of your pitches and your fielding obligations, then prove to the guy who chooses who will pitch and who won’t that you maintain that execution in games no matter what the situation, and even more importantly prove you won’t give up “free” base runners the defense doesn’t have a chance to put out, you’re gonna get a chance to pitch! You may not be one of the front line starters, but you’re gonna get mound time because HS pitchers in general can’t do those things I mentioned very well.

If you do nothing but continue to have a good throwing program, you’ll very likely pick up the velocity you think is so important because you’re gonna likely grow bigger and stronger, plus your mechanics should hopefully improve. Spring ball is 8 months away, and that’s a lot of time for a HS underclassman.

Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats:

Young_Baller,

Like most people, I’m afraid you’ve completely misread and misunderstood the importance of a gun reading for a pitcher at the HS level, and then made your goal the wrong one. If you can figure out how to execute all of your pitches and your fielding obligations, then prove to the guy who chooses who will pitch and who won’t that you maintain that execution in games no matter what the situation, and even more importantly prove you won’t give up “free” base runners the defense doesn’t have a chance to put out, you’re gonna get a chance to pitch! You may not be one of the front line starters, but you’re gonna get mound time because HS pitchers in general can’t do those things I mentioned very well.

If you do nothing but continue to have a good throwing program, you’ll very likely pick up the velocity you think is so important because you’re gonna likely grow bigger and stronger, plus your mechanics should hopefully improve. Spring ball is 8 months away, and that’s a lot of time for a HS underclassman.

If by most people you include coaches it may not matter.  Coaches like velocity.  They figure they can teach the other things.  When the spring tryout comes, all the coach will have to go on is a few bull pens.  He won't have the luxury of proving himself in game situations. 

My take is, along with a throwing/strength program, you should really focus on your mechanics.  Work to make them as efficient and effective as possible.  Make sure your legs and core are working properly.  Good luck. 

Originally Posted by SDBB:

How old are you?   Are you on any kind of throwing program?  Where's your school?

And yes 5 mph is a difference.  Boiling it down 4 MPH was the difference between my son being drafted or not.

I just ordered jaeger bands like some guys on here told me to do, and then got the Thrive on Throwing DVD.  I am going to start a throwing program soon, was looking at July 8 to start, that way I can give my arm a few days rest (Pitched a lot of innings this summer).   I am 15, going into my sophmore year.  I live in Mississippi. 

Originally Posted by Golfman25:
Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats:

Young_Baller,

If by most people you include coaches it may not matter.  Coaches like velocity.  They figure they can teach the other things.  When the spring tryout comes, all the coach will have to go on is a few bull pens.  He won't have the luxury of proving himself in game situations. 

My take is, along with a throwing/strength program, you should really focus on your mechanics.  Work to make them as efficient and effective as possible.  Make sure your legs and core are working properly.  Good luck. 

Thanks, I just found a core/leg pitching program.  I am going to start that when school is back because the weight room will always be open.  I am also seeing a pitching instructor and we are working on my mechanics.

There are a lot of good things being mentioned here.   I tend to agree with  "Coaches like velocity.  They figure they can teach the other things."    But velocity doesn't mean a thing unless you can control it, so its not just the radar gun. 

As an upcoming sophomore Nature will do a lot, as this is a typical time most boys hit a growth spurt.  You can help it along by doing a good overall exercise program and eating a good diet.   This combined with a reasonable throwing program...(Basically just get out and throw).   You have to keep things in balance. Remember to exercise all the muscles not just the ones you need to throw.  Google Jobe shoulder exercises (he was the doctor that first did Tommy John Surgery)   Here's a start http://www.leaguelineup.com/ea...ioning%20Program.pdf

Also remember SHIP  Seniority has its privileges.  If everything is equal the senior will be selected over the sophomore.  So your goal should be 85 not 75. But don't expect that in one off-season, but who knows if a growth spurt kicks in.   

BTW you never mentioned how big are you?  Size does count in pitching, its a leverage thing.  

Originally Posted by SDBB:

There are a lot of good things being mentioned here.   I tend to agree with  "Coaches like velocity.  They figure they can teach the other things."    But velocity doesn't mean a thing unless you can control it, so its not just the radar gun. 

As an upcoming sophomore Nature will do a lot, as this is a typical time most boys hit a growth spurt.  You can help it along by doing a good overall exercise program and eating a good diet.   This combined with a reasonable throwing program...(Basically just get out and throw).   You have to keep things in balance. Remember to exercise all the muscles not just the ones you need to throw.  Google Jobe shoulder exercises (he was the doctor that first did Tommy John Surgery)   Here's a start http://www.leaguelineup.com/ea...ioning%20Program.pdf

Also remember SHIP  Seniority has its privileges.  If everything is equal the senior will be selected over the sophomore.  So your goal should be 85 not 75. But don't expect that in one off-season, but who knows if a growth spurt kicks in.   

BTW you never mentioned how big are you?  Size does count in pitching, its a leverage thing.  

Control is not the issue here at all.  Coach even called me out at last practice of summer last night in front of everyone and said, " ___ if we can get you throwing 5 mph this year, and have you keep throwing strikes, we'll be all set. "  I think I walked like 7 batters in 17 innings?  It wasn't too bad, compared to other pitchers.  I think I may have the best control on the team.  Also, I'm 6'2  160lbs.  And as far as growth spurt goes, I think I'll grow some more before next season.  I just started growing.  I was like 5'8 from 7th to 9th grade with no growth, I've gradually grown 4 inches over the past few months.  Everyone in my family is 6'4 or over, and my mom is 6'0.  And as far as seniors, there is one senior who is in the mix for the 4 spot.   He is a sidewinder and throws as hard as I do.  My main problem is developing an offspeed pitch as well, I didn't play last year so no one has ever taught me a curveball or changeup.  Hopefully I can have one by spring. 

Last edited by Baller4174
Originally Posted by RJM:

If your father is 6'4" and your mother is 6' chances are you will grow to be 6'6". Don't think 5 mph. Find a quality pitching coach. Get on the best travel team you can. Think physical development, pitching development and throwing 85-90 over the next couple of years. 

I've been messaging every coach in my area asking for tryouts, none replied so far.  Dad is 6'4, uncles are both 6'6.  I didn't know height had a big deal in pitching to be honest. 

Work with your high school coach.   Ask him what he recommends.  Ask him if there is a good pitching coach in your area.    Remember patience.   Going from, not on the team to Varsity starter is a big jump, few people can do.  And going from not pitching to trying to cram it into a few months can spell injury.  (you said you threw a lot already this summer and I'm assuming you have not thrown much previously) Injury needs to be a big concern.   Take it slowly.

With a recent 4" growth,  you're still learning your body, and  you'll likely throw on 15-20 more pounds in the next year or two.   Don't try to become the varsity pitcher overnight.  Look at some of the other threads on this site about college recruiting, and recommendations about finding playing time.  As a soph without freshman experience, its better to be the JV #1 starter than a reliever on varsity, or sitting with a sore elbow or shoulder.    

On the other hand, I'm going to be brutally honest.  You've got a long way to go to get on a competitive travel team.  Good 16U teams are looking for pitchers that throw 85+ with an established 2nd pitch.  A pitcher only  throwing 75 will get eaten alive in a national tournament. (at least the second time thru the lineup)

Sounds like you may have the natural traits of a good pitcher; so take the next couple years and develop it.  Starts with conditioning, and progressive build up.   It doesn't happen over night.    Finally, what you do as a sophomore will be forgotten by the time you're a senior, other than it was a stepping stone on the path.

Last edited by SDBB

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.