Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Panther Dad:
Details please!

Cole Green started and could not find a groove. Coppell went up 1 - 0 in the first, SLC came back to take a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the first, added a run in the second, added a 5 spot in the 5 th off a combination of two JV pitchers and then added two against a frosh in the sixth.

Braddock pitched well enough, every hard hit ball after the first that Coppell hit was right at someone, SLC's centerfielder made a great play in deep deep centerfield that kept Coppell at bay when it might have mattered.

This all comes down Coppell's bat just not finding the right stroke.

Game three should be interesting. If Coppell hits like they didn't today, then SLC will need to back plans to travel. If the Coppell's bat show up then it is a battle.

Still don't know who gets the start for Coppell, Kettler pitched two outs today to shut down SLC in the third and pitched well in the deciding Cedar Hill game but Malone is fresh. De La is a possibility but Coach English still might want to hold him out to close.

SLC still has Cunningham and Kegley and would us eboth if the need is there.
Last edited by ACowboyFan
Yup, I didn't understand the pitching change when Kettler didn't start the 4th. At that time the score was 3-1. Still seemed like there was a game for Coppell. But then they ran through 4 more pitchers that never got over 84 on the gun and they almost got spread. Did Coppell run out of pitching or did English decide to hold his better arms out until tomorrow?

We'll see....
The first lefty off the bench put up two zero's against SLC. After that, I think English decided to get the other boys a little taste and wait for game three.

All the pitching....well Watten and De La did there job yesterday, Cole looked like he needed a few more lessons / bull pens but he had velocity. Kettler came in and shut the door with 2 on and 1 out. I think English was hoping Coppell could do it with the bats because in the first inning it looked like the boys could hit against Braddock...but that did workout. So tomorrow Coppell still has Kettler , Malone and De La and I think Green might want to make amends. Coppell still has pitching but if Coppell doesn't score some runs....well it could be a long day.

If SLC's pitching is as good as it was yesterday and today then Coppell's arms have to be close to perfect. If Coppell's three guys give up the 4 rund they gave up last weekend against Cedar Hill that might be to many.
Coppell 4
SLC 3

Very good game. SLC took the first lead, after Kettler (C) and Cunningham (SLC) shut down hitters for the first few innings. Cole Green had a big 2 RBI single to give Coppell the lead and Andrew Rehling hit a 6th inning home run for insurance, which turned out to be the difference as Andrew LaCombe homered for SLC in the top of the 7th. Another save for de la Chapelle.
quote:
Originally posted by MeatsDad:
If SLC's pitching is as good as it was yesterday and today then Coppell's arms have to be close to perfect. If Coppell's three guys give up the 4 runs they gave up last weekend against Cedar Hill that might be to many.

Coppell ended up having better pitching than SLC and they stilll had some left on the bench. The 4 runs held up because Coppell's pitching only gave up 3 and only two of those were earned.

WOW, this is just so good for these boys to keep finding ways to win.

I think De La Chappelle actually gets the win not the save. Andrew Rehling had one of the best kind of senior moments that I am sure he won't forget. Different players seem to be stepping up at the right times.

We are looking forward to traveling this weekend.

Does any one know how the Lee and Franklin series is going and what can you tell us about the teams?
Last edited by ACowboyFan
quote:
Originally posted by itrogas44:
quote:
Originally posted by ACowboy:
I thought it was curve because it broke quite a bit. I'd just call it a good hard curve. Where do you draw the line between a hard curve and a slider?

I see VERY FEW high school kids with true sliders.

The sliders are more like slurves.

The difference in the curve and the slider is in the delivery mechanics.

The curve should be thrown without supination. The palm stays aligned with the forearm. The slider requires supination of the wrist, which is why it can be so hard on the elbow.

Some kids (Texan Son included) throw hard curves (e.g., arm velocity close to their fastball arm velocity). This is often mistaken for a slider. Especially if the break is not true 12 to 6.

Others slow their arm down, this is more recognizable as a curve to spectators.
Yes, awesome game by both teams. Even better to get a victory against an outstanding team. I always worry about CHS and SLC matchups because they always seem to be contentious(and we always seem to get beat). However, kudos to the SLC fans for losing with class and especially to the head coach for SLC who made a special point to come over and offer congratulations to our team and our fans. Class act during a difficult time.
quote:
Originally posted by BigJim:
Yup, I didn't understand the pitching change when Kettler didn't start the 4th. At that time the score was 3-1. Still seemed like there was a game for Coppell. But then they ran through 4 more pitchers that never got over 84 on the gun and they almost got spread. Did Coppell run out of pitching or did English decide to hold his better arms out until tomorrow?

We'll see....

BJ, I guess we saw. Remember my post on the "DFW 4A/5A Teams still in the play-offs" thread. I'll repeat, "Coppell's pitching strength may be its depth." MD's son didn't even make an appearance this series.
Tyler Lee 5
Rowlett 1

For those that want to know Tyler Lee was better than Rowlett in all 3 games. My hats off to the Raiders as they did what needed to be done to win the series.

Congratulations to Plano West, Coppell and Tyler Lee. Good Luck in the next round.

As for Jafo, no more direct contact with HS Baseball, however I will sneak in from time to time, with unbiased over the top commentary with no conscience or allegiance. That could/should be interesting.

Good luck to all. It's been a pleasure!
Last edited by JAFO
Congrats to Tyler Lee. Those boys can hit the baseball. I cannot count how many triples Lee hit this series. I also don't think we threw out a baserunner throughout the series. I don't know how many times I heard someone talk about how fast Lee was. Good luck to them against Klein Collins.

All I know about Klein Collins is what I've read. I think Lee will give them all they can handle, if not beat them. Ought to be a great series.
Last edited by Ringer1
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:

As for Jafo, no more direct contact with HS Baseball, however I will sneak in from time to time, with unbiased over the top commentary with no conscience or allegiance. That could/should be interesting.

Good luck to all. It's been a pleasure!

JAFO - You can't leave! We are just getting used to your umm, "style" Smile
Last edited by cheapseats
Congratulations to Coppell and Arlington Martin. It was great to see 2 awesome HS games today from my observation position with "no skin in the game" so to speak. Either of these 2 teams have the guns to go all the way. It is just great to see HS baseball played at such a high level. Both teams are getting timely hitting, clutch pitching, making incredible plays and producing during intense pressure, which is what competition is all about. These kids will take some valuable lessons from their experiences.

Also, special congratulations to Plano West who I did not see play but glad to see frosh Ford have some big games.

Good luck N. Texas HSBB in the next round!
His roll of the dice won in this situation. It's funny how we all have questions about pitching and moves that were/weren't made once our teams are eliminated, eh? Baseball is far from an exact science. Flower Mound should have had enough against Martin too, right? We've said it a hundred times if we've said it once -- it's easy to coach in hindsight.

For instance....if I was the McK coach....and having won game 1 of the series with Poteet, facing travel to Mesquite, I might have used my #2 in game 2, since Nowell has been very tough to beat, and leaving my #1 for game 3. Having said that, Copeland is a difficult place to win as a visiting team. Of course, this also assumes that I am accurate in my assumptions as to their #1 and #2.....maybe that is exactly how the coach handled it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.