Skip to main content

We've talked about "running up the score" before. I'm not sure about this one...

quote:

Union (Dugger) sets records
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
By B.J. Hargis, Sports Editor

It is hard to throw an a no-hitter and be overshadowed. But that was the case of Union (Dugger) High School pitcher Logan Chesterfield.

The junior right-hander struck out 13 and walked one as the Bulldogs defeated Eminence 53-0 in a Tri-River Conference baseball game at Dugger Tuesday.

"This was a tremendous game for all the kids," said Union (Dugger) High School baseball coach Clarence Johnson. "Eminence only hit the ball one time and Logan had just the one walk."

The Bulldogs exploded for 31 runs in the first inning as part of a record-setting night. They obliterated the 23 runs that Whiting scored in one inning on May 24, 2007, according to the Indiana High School Baseball Coaches Association Record Book.

The 53 runs tied a state record set by Cowan just last year. The Bulldogs (2-0, 1-0 in the TRC), finished with 40 hits, which broke Cowan's record of 36 hits in 2007.

Vincennes Lincoln had 51 runs and 35 hits in a 51-0 victory over Vincennes Rivet in 1996.

The Bulldogs had 13 doubles, which broke the previous single-game mark of 10 by Woodlan in 2005.

They pounded out 18 extra-base hits, which eclipsed the old mark of 16 set by Lawerence North in 1999.

They had 11 extra-base hits in the first inning, which topped the previous mark of 10 by Western in 1988.

They had 43 RBIs, which is second most to Cowan's 51 last year. Lincoln had 40 RBIs in that win over Rivet 12 years ago.

The Bulldogs finished with 63 total bases, setting another state single-game record. Twin Lakes had 59 in 2000. Lincoln had 56 against Rivet, which was third on the list. Cowan had 53 total bases a year ago.

"The kids played really well," said Union (Dugger) coach Clarence Johnson. "It was really unbelievable.

"We did not go out to score 53 runs. We did not go out to run up the score. We made sure the bats moved the runners up and we scored the runs we scored."

The Bulldogs sent 36 batters to the plate in the first, batting around four times. They tacked on 19 runs in the second to lead 50-0.

Blane Boyd set an individual record by scoring eight runs. Boyd finished 5-for-8 with three doubles and five RBIs.

Tel Sherman and Dustin Howard tied the old mark of seven runs scored.

Sherman finished with seven hits in eight at bats, finishing with seven runs and eight RBIs.

Howard was 3-for-5 with a double, home run and six RBIs.

In what would have to be a likely record, Wesley Marshall hit for the cycle -- in the first inning.

Marshall finished 6-for-8 with two doubles, a triple, a home run, eight RBIs and six runs scored.

Chesterfield helped himself by going 5-for-6 with a double, triple, five RBIs and six runs.

Catcher B.J. Howard batted eight times officially, garnering five runs, three RBIs and three hits, including a double.

Josh Davidson produced three singles in four at bats, which led to four runs and one RBI.

Trent Collins singled and doubled in four at bats, producing three RBIs to go with four runs.

Brandon Duncan also was 2-for-4 with two doubles and four runs scored.

Tanner Reynolds was 2-for-3 with a double and two RBIs.

Justin Rowe had one hit, one run and one RBI.

George Secrest double in three at bats and added one run and one RBI as all 12 Union (Dugger) players batted at least twice officially. Bulldogs reached base safely an addition 12 times via Eminence miscues in the field.

"Logan really got us started off well by throwing strikes," said Johnson. "He only faced the minimum 15 batters. He threw just 65 pitches, 42 for strikes.

"We quit taking extra bases. But the kids were just aggressive and hit a lot of balls to the gaps. We had a lot of players that had very good nights at the plate. The kids played unbelievable well. You don't start a game expecting something like this."

The Bulldogs will play at White River Valley Wednesday before hosting North Knox Friday.

"Every Athlete Deserves an Athletic Trainer"

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First of all why in the world would anyone do a write up on a game like this? Secondly why in the world would the coach even comment on a game like this? And thirdly why was it not stopped after two or three innings? How can the coach be proud of beating someone like this? Posting the stats and praising the pitcher in a performance against a team that is obviously overmatched in a hs game? I would be absolutely embarrassed for the other team and would just call it after the first or second inning even if I had to take a forfeit in doing so. To me the winning coach is a joke for even making statements to the press after a game like this and gloating on how well they played. Please give me a break.
quote:
If I was coaching I would have commented I became more and more uncomfortable with the score as the kids kept getting hits and runs. I'd comment maybe the mercy rule needs revision so these games don't go five innings. I would not be glowing about my player's effort. No way would any pitcher have thrown more than an inning. I would have started at the back of the staff after the first inning.

I've been involved in a game like this. I offered to let the other team forfeit after the first and second innings. In the second inning I told the parents if they felt this was worth cheering about they needed to leave.

RJM ...

I agree with you 100%. I know it is difficult to coach in a situation like this because players should never be told to play less than their best game ... when do you tell a kid to quite hitting the ball hard, etc. But the history of the other team was probably pretty well known and this coach should have had his 'b' team playing, and he could have definitely had other than his ace on the mound for the entire time. And the comments and write up ... very poor indeed (in my thinking).

Also, I despise this quote from the Union coach:
"This was a tremendous game for all the kids," said Union (Dugger) High School baseball coach Clarence Johnson. "Eminence only hit the ball one time and Logan had just the one walk." What a joke !!! Guess he forgot that there were at least 9 or 10 other kids involved who didn't have such a 'tremendous game'. ARGHHHH !!!

I just looked at the Eminence Eels school site, including the booster pages, where the team roster is set up. The booster pages have a 2008 team roster but based on the ages of the players, it might be the JV team and not the varsity. The poor kids' mascot is ... almost as bad as the Banana Slugs out here ... the EEL !!! The Eminence Eels ... wow, how intimidating is that?

Very sad situation all around.
Last edited by FutureBack.Mom
Then we wonder why six so called cheerleaders would beat the living daylights out of a helpless girl in a bedroom then post it on YouTube.

All the kids have to do is watch an so called adult coach do this kind of thing to a team of young adults and the kids get the wrong kind of messages about beating up on someone who is viewed as inferior.
JMO
Hopefully the next day the AD and the Principal had a talk (and then a 'man to man' if necessary) with that idiot head coach. "a tremendous game" ... What a freaking idiot... Note: we did play a game last night where 43 runs were scored (school record by far)... the score was 23-20. Wind blowing out just a wee bit as you might imagine.
This one tops it... was that a late April fools maybe?
I saw a very sad game early in the season (not my son's team) where the final score was 32-1 in five innings. The winning team honestly did not run up the score. There must have been at least a dozen errors, and I'm pretty sure the box score showed 20 walks. The winning team stopped running in the second inning and put in all their subs. There was no gloating, and they were very professional about it.

My question: At what point is a 32-1 game the fault of the losing coach?
A couple of years ago we had two very weak program in our conference. We had no choice we had to play them. We usually brought up several jv guys to play. We still beat them badly. We never posted a box score in the paper after these games. We never called the paper. Why? I can think of a couple of great reasons not to but not one single good reason to do it. Its tells me the coach of the winning team is a clown. If he is excited about this kind of win he must not be used to winning himself. Lets see one day how he feels if this ever happens to him. I wonder if he would like someone to make sure it gets in the local paper? Horrible situation imo.

The losing coach obviously has no talent. Do you think anyone could have coached a team that bad to a competitive game? Hey if its 10-2 maybe better coaching would help. But with a score like this there is no way coaching played a part in it. Maybe the coaching from 7 to 14 did?
talk about running up the score:

TOKYO, April 17 (Reuters) - A Japanese high school pleaded for a regional game to be abandoned after surrendering 66 runs in less than two innings, local media reported on Thursday.

The coach of Kawamoto technical high school threw in the towel to spare his pitcher’s arm with his team losing 66-0 with just one batter out in the bottom of the second.

The hapless hurler had already sent down over 250 pitches, allowing 26 runs in the first inning and 40 in the second before Kawamoto asked for mercy.

“At that pace the pitcher would have thrown around 500 pitches in four innings,” Kawamoto’s coach was quoted as saying. “There was a danger he could get injured.”

Opponents Shunshukan were officially credited with a 9-0 victory, giving the scoreline a tinge of respectability for the luckless Kawamoto school. (Writing by Alastair Himmer; Editing by Justin Palmer)

As I am over in Japan right now, this has been the talk of the town... mostly about should they have given up... nothing about pitch counts!!!!!
I was excited to see that my s****r playing daughter scored a goal for the varsity team. Since she usually plays one of those positions that normally don't score, this warranted a little closer look. I found she scored against a hapless team that is still looking for its first W. Looking at the opponent's record, these scores must be similar to the 53 run drubbing. One needs a lot of optimism to keep going out there to get beat up again and again.

0-14
0-7
0-4
0-3
0-10
1-7
0-10
0-9
0-10
0-10
1-17
0-4

Ouch!
Last edited by infidel_08
Hey ya'll lighten up...it's all about my kid and his stats...

In reality? What have we wrought? IMO...The prefect storm of the new world of competition...mismatch...coach teaching the wrong values...stat hungry parents...sensationalist media...SOMEONE should have shown some sense here..coach, parents, ump, administrators...

Cool 44
Or maybe not about YOUR kid, Cool44, Wink, but about the entire stats of the team.... What about the teams which are beating up on an opponent with the starters playing-----perfect opportunity to put in the bench, right? The kids who sit in hopes of going in at some point in the season....But no, the coach leaves in the starters who now have the opportunity to/pleasure of padding their stats.....and in the meantime, the kids who could use some game time, never mind meaningful game time, sit...

It would work in reverse, too, when a team is getting beat up on....and the coach leaves the starters in with the hope of getting it turned around and ya just know it won't happen that day---perfect time to put in the bench. Nope, they sit. I don't get it.
Last edited by play baseball

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.