Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Shenandoah Valley reporting, it just shook the ground a little here...BUT in 57 years, I've never felt an earthquake here...weird.. and the dog was none too happy.

No reports of any damage so far, just something new for the locals...and a hurricane heading up the east coast this weekend.

Just another day in paradise...and it is beautiful here today.
Hope everyone is ok- not much on the news yet as far as damage.

You southerners sure know how to make new residents feel right at home- my best friend just took her 2 CA sons to UVA and William and Mary for college and law school. This will make the California boys feel right at home!

Please keep us posted as damage reports come in.
Last edited by CaBB
Apparantly we felt it in the southern part of NC on the coast from what everyone is saying. I didn't feel it but everyone at school said it did. I was outside dropping our nets down in preparation of Hurricane Irene that's going to hit us this weekend. I guess the ground was more stable than the buildings because everyone outside thought the people inside were crazy since they felt it and we didn't.
That was weird. I was outside long-tossing with my youngest son on a large field. I heard a large noise but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what it was.....so we kept throwing. I came home and my wife told me it was an earthquake. My cousin called me to tell me she was on the toilet in NJ and peed herself because she was so scared. I told her she was in the right place....and then we both laughed. Too funny!
On occasion over the years, I've had people ask me, "Did you feel that tremor?" And I've always said something along the lines of, "What, there was a tremor?"

Well, I felt THIS one!

It started hard and I thought that a truck had hit our building. Then it kept coming like a train was rushing by. Then we kept rocking long after the main event, like we were the ones on the train.

I was on the phone with someone on the other side of town and he was going through the same thing at his end. I don't know that I've ever heard of something like this happening all over town, much less extending many states away.

I wonder how all the teams at the Babe Ruth 14u World Series feel? We gave them a little something extra to remember about their visit!
I am located VERY near the center of all of it, lets just say one of the scariest parts wasn't even the quake, which frightened the hell out of me (there was damage to building around the area and almost all the schools that were expected to start tomorrow are now shut down, not sure of damages on them yet. BUT the scariest part is there is a nuclear power plant right here where it all happened. Not sure if anything is happening with that yet. But still has us all up in a roar.
So I hear on the news that the US Geological Survey warns people to "prepare for aftershocks."

How exactly does one "prepare for aftershocks"?

--Sleep outdoors?
--Install a hydraulic jack under a basement joist?
--Refrain from showering (to avoid embarrassment in case of sudden evacuation)?
--Drink heavily (to prevent hurting myself with startle reflex)?
--Observe the dog carefully and run outside if he whimpers or looks nervous?

Glad my tax dollars contributed to the gummint's ability to dispense such timely and practical advice.
Or you could just be like me. My wife comes home and says "Did you feel it? The walls were shaking at work." Uh what? "The earthquake. Didn't you feel it?" Uh no. "Are you serious? Have you seen the news?" Uh no. "How could everyone be talking about it and everyone feel it and you don't even know what happened?" Uh I have no idea.
quote:
Originally posted by Coach_May:
Or you could just be like me. My wife comes home and says "Did you feel it? The walls were shaking at work." Uh what? "The earthquake. Didn't you feel it?" Uh no. "Are you serious? Have you seen the news?" Uh no. "How could everyone be talking about it and everyone feel it and you don't even know what happened?" Uh I have no idea.

I'm with you and never felt it. I was outside on the baseball field trying hurricane proof it and never felt the first thing. Walked into the building and one our home ec teachers was all crazy asking if I felt that. I had no idea what she was talking about. Truly never felt it.
Here in CT, I did't feel it. But a few surrounding towns did have some moments,more the city areas with the taller buildings.
Spoke with my son, who is just starting school in NC, and he didn't mention anything about it. I think he and the team were on the field at the time and he is having a meltdown because his cell phone isn't working right.
I'm glad the earthquake wasn't anything more than a scare and possibly a few broken dishes and windows. It doesn't sound like anyone wss seriously injured and we can all thank God for that.

My folks have a beach house in NC, so I'm also praying Irene doesn't do any more damage than the earthquake.

Funny they name storms but not earthquakes...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.