Skip to main content

So i would generally consider myself as one of the faster players on the field at most times. I hit leadoff, can beat out drag bunts and steal bases pretty consistently at the varsity level, but my 60 time does not translate to my in game speed that I believe I possess. I am also extremely quick, and am probably the quickest kid at my school who plays basketball. My 60 time is consistently around 7.3 and I just don't understand why I am so slow compared to the stop watch when I play the game at a fast level. I read a comment on another post on 60 time's somewhat related to my issue that said this could be related to lack of running form through out the sprint.... any feedback and advice would be great because I really need to get fast compared to the stopwatch.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://fullcountpitch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/cano.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fullcountpitch.com/2009/01/23/yankees-correct-to-keep-cano/&usg=__cdtG-8NWIaB-bCaC-dGiCb3AUnw=&h=800&w=536&sz=56&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=B1XfadzIkLqVTM:&tbnh=132&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drobinson%2Bcano%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D1099%26bih%3D722%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=260&vpy=223&dur=151&hovh=274&hovw=184&tx=120&ty=167&ei=cZToTMy-D5OisAPG_tSwCw&oei=cZToTMy-D5OisAPG_tSwCw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Robby: you sound like my son. JMO but if your primary position is catcher I think your 60 speed is fine. If you can couple this with a sub 2.0 pop time, other catching skills and some solid gap power or better I think you are a lock to play at the next level. Keep in mind that one of the top catching prospects in 2013 runs a 7.8 60.. but he has a solid sub 1.9 POP so other things balance out what scouts will see in you. I have also had a roving intructor with a MLB club tell me "we dont care how fast our catcher's are.. we dont even time them". I often wonder about this emphasis on 60 times and I understand the logic but if you arent a player it will not matter. I recently read what an old Dodger teammate said about Maury Wills and Willie Davis. Willie could run circles around Maury in a foot race but Wills as we all know was one of the great base stealers of all time... it was, in short, because he was a better baseball player than Davis.

There is no doubt you are a "baseball player" from your description. Feet, muscles and the like excite scouts initially but in the end if you arent a baseball player those things will not matter. My son was recently evaluated by a knowlegable baseball man and he called him a "baseball player". Frankly as a father I would rather have that accolade than a 6.6 60.

I think you will be fine.. search this sight and others about all aspects of improving your game not just your 60 time.. work hard... harder than anyone else as Coach May says. Good Luck!
Last edited by bothsportsdad
@bothssportsdad: my pop time is actually the best part of my game and i recently threw two 1.81's and a 1.88 at oregon's prospect camp... these were simulated times,(not in game) but still i'll take it. The reason I am concerned with my 60 time because I am small for a catcher and my hitting style doesn't fit a the prototypical catcher at this point either (hence hitting leadoff). Plus being faster always opens more doors. I've been lifting a ton though so hopefully more balls will be landing in the gaps this spring.
Last edited by RobbyCanoDontchyaKnow
Robby,

There are various things you can do to increase your 60 time. I am actually in the works of releasing a few articles with a well known member of this site (name will remain unknown).

These articles won't be out until some time in January...

But until then, make sure you are doing leg workouts...both strength training, and plyometric training.

Let me know if you have other questions about those types of training, or running the 60 in general. I have gotten my 60 down to a 6.6 or better and have topped out at a 6.40...

I am done playing so it doesn't really matter anymore, but now I teach other athletes how to do the same Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.