Skip to main content

Howdy,

Took my son to his first showcase the other day.  Just wanted to let him see what it was like.  Anyway, they did not time the boys in the 60.  My son said they explained that they weren't able to do it for some reason (legalities?).  Anyone heard of anything that would prevent the 60 from being timed?  Pretty large and well known showcase group was running this show.  Just curious.  Thanks!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Legalities?  Interesting.

Even if the top latest laser equipment were not used, it still would show who was running fast, faster, fastest.

Keewartson was at a showcase event run by a "respected" organization several summers ago.  The times posted for my son were significantly different than his travel coach, who happened to be there.  There are variances, no matter who is timing, the equipment, and not to mention the kid running that day.

Even at a camp/showcase at a perennial top 10 university, they stepped off 60 yards and used a stop watch.  

Showcases held at DI universities cannot time kids in the 60. It is another NCAA rule and a  ridiculous one. Sometimes we have had to go off campus to run the 60.

Something to do with skill measurements. Yet other evaluation things can be performed.  For this reason, whenever possible, we have to avoid doing showcases in DI facilities.

yeah if you run the 60 it should be the best out of two runs.

Lets time the kids Home to 1st and then when on 1`st getting ready to steal 2nd and then maybe even 3rd. yeah thats how fast a kid should be..

My son is fast but not 6.5 @ 60 fast.. but can steal bases with the best of them.

keep running,

Originally Posted by PGStaff:

Showcases held at DI universities cannot time kids in the 60. It is another NCAA rule and a  ridiculous one.

I just googled back to January 2012 and it was a CAMP at this D1 that keewartson went to.  Is this semantics so that they can time the 60?  (Only the univeristy coaching staff was there...no other college coaches that I was aware of).

Any player that can run a good 60 time should make sure he has that time documented.

Home to 1st times are good, but can be misleading.  They depend on the type of swing and the type of contact.

Things like stealing bases or simply watching someone run can also be misleading.  Decision makers aren't interested in how many bases you steal, they want to know how many you might be able to steal at their level.  Watching a player run without timing them can also be very misleading.  The fastest players don't always look the fastest.  In fact, it's usually the little guys with short stride length that "look" the fastest.

Any player that can run a good 60 time should make sure he has that time documented.

Home to 1st times are good, but can be misleading.  They depend on the type of swing and the type of contact.

Things like stealing bases or simply watching someone run can also be misleading.  Decision makers aren't interested in how many bases you steal, they want to know how many you might be able to steal at their level.  Watching a player run without timing them can also be very misleading.  The fastest players don't always look the fastest.  In fact, it's usually the little guys with short stride length that "look" the fastest.

but a guy with a great time but doesn't read a pitcher well gets a top mark? Or a favorite of mine the outfield with amazing speed who doesn't judge a fly ball...

listen I get it that numbers matter but I believe (as a general statement not 100% all programs) baseball recuiters put to much on numbers and not enough on how they translate skills to game action.

Of course just being fast doesn't make someone a prospect.  It just means he can run fast!  And running happens to be one of the 5 tools.  If no one cared they wouldn't bother running the 60.  Every decision maker wants those times if available.  They can take it from there and figure out if the speed is usable or not.

just think about this... Give or take a little every two tenths of a second equals one full stride of approximately 6 ft.  Just like the pitcher with great velocity having a larger margin for error, the plus runner has a larger margin for error.

we have all seen the slower but good base runners. The slower but bad base runners. The fast but bad base runners.  What everyone wants is the fast but good base runner, outfielder, shortstop.

Of course just being fast doesn't make someone a prospect.  It just means he can run fast!  And running happens to be one of the 5 tools.  If no one cared they wouldn't bother running the 60.  Every decision maker wants those times if available.  They can take it from there and figure out if the speed is usable or not.

just think about this... Give or take a little every two tenths of a second equals one full stride of approximately 6 ft.  Just like the pitcher with great velocity having a larger margin for error, the plus runner has a larger margin for error.

we have all seen the slower but good base runners. The slower but bad base runners. The fast but bad base runners.  What everyone wants is the fast but good base runner, outfielder, shortstop.

you are correct and if i was the college coach i would be somewhat the same way. i do think it has crossed over the line of value. like you mention .2 is 6' - recruiters tend to focus on the number not the jump, that step you speak of to is often lost between the ears.

I have seen many kids that can't play well but run great times and look the part end up playing in college. of course many of them fail because they never had the mental ability to play the game.

I know a local who got a ride to an ACC power, he got it from going to Perfect Game and putting up great numbers. He wasn't a starter until his SR year in HS because he had such a poor game approach...but his "physical" skills were "projectable"

Balance goes a long way.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.