Skip to main content

My kid was working on starts tonight with a Sprinting Instructor.  I know Rickey Henderson's first move was pushing with his left foot/striding with his right.  Perfect Game's article references this but says that the crossover is faster.

Purely anecdotal but my 14 year old ran several 1.6 ten yard splits tonight with starts pushing off his left foot and striding with his right...before that he ran 1.9 and 1.8 ten yard splits with a crossover first step.   It could be that he isn't close to mastering the crossover first step.  As a basestealer he has always pushed off with the left foot and had a right foot stride as first movement, so he is more experienced with that move

I'm certainly no expert but it seems to me that if the clock starts on first movement, the left foot pusher has already moved a stride length in about the time the crossover starter has crossed the start line.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong.  We're just getting started on this so I know this is the time to get it right.   As I've said before, I've found it ironic but my 8th Grader is training like a track athlete, preparing for the big "Track Meet" 2-3 years from now when he attends a Perfect Game Showcase and runs the 60.  (As well as knowing he has other "Track Meets" coming up when he will be timed in the 60 at Baseball Travel Team tryouts in August).

He recognizes the start is the most important part of running a 60

https://www.perfectgame.org/Ar...ew.aspx?article=1300

Last edited by 3and2Fastball
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In addition, you want to swing the lead foot to the right side of parallel to the target line & point the toe at about 45 degrees open towards the target. This allows the hips to fire faster as you have cheated open.

There is no danger of getting picked first base off when you run a 60 so cheat the start. You see the majority of kids start as if they are leading off first base. NO. Also, please take your hat off so it doesn't fly off & distract you about half way through!

During our Area Code tryouts, I requested the service of the Fresno State Track coach.

The players including pitchers ran the 60 yd and after 30 minutes of instruction again ran the 60. There was a 5% reduction in the times. Each tryout and the AC games we enlisted former MLB players a clinical coaches.

We instruct our pitchers and 1b, when the runner has his "toe" turned toward 2b, he is probably going to steal. "Time for the "pick off". We also instruct our runners to take their lead with their hand pointing to the 1b. This appears to the opposing pitcher that the runner is leaning to his left.

Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMRVKPVtrQE

It takes some time to develop a real good crossover step.  But once you do, we are talking about a tenth of a second advantage over back foot push.   Truth is most every great base stealer uses the crossover.  Even guys like Ricky Henderson who would often use the front foot movement as a timing device.  Watch the video above or watch the top guys like Billy Hamilton.

Now, anytime the laser is being used, it becomes even more important to master a good crossover.  Think about the start line... time starts when you cross that start line with any part of your body.  So if you push off with your back foot and move your front foot forward, the clock starts when that front foot crosses the start line.  If you push off with you front foot the clock doesn't start until some other part of the body crosses the start line.

3and2,

If your son can run 1,6 pushing off his back foot, he will run 1.5 if he masters the crossover.  especially if he masters the best starting technique.  You are simply able to gain more distance in the same amount of time.  The thing many runners screw up is "accuracy".  Think of your belly button being an arrow or your in a narrow tunnel from start to finish and you need to avoid hitting the walls.   So when it (belly button) turns towards the target it immediately aligns with the target and stays on target.  Then think of power and efficiency... many crossover with their left arm/hand moving forward with their left foot crossing over.  This is something that has been taught for many years and it can create problems with balance, power and efficiency.  Most every runners arm action is opposite arm stroke with each stride.  It would feel strange to stride with your right leg while using a forward stroke with your right arm.  So why would anyone want to start and be out of position immediately with left foot and left arm leading the way.  Just think how much better position a runner would be in if the left foot and right arm worked together at the start.  Now everything in your first stride after crossover is in proper running position.  so you not only gain distance, you also reach top speed quicker because there is no adjustment required.

The key is to be accurate and balanced... everything else requires an adjustment.  Good athletes don't always notice they are having to make an adjustment, they just automatically make the necessary adjustment.  However, those adjustments, no matter how small, are actually taking time to make.

My guess is that your son has always used a certain way of pushing off and is more comfortable doing that.  The crossover done properly will lower his times.  Many use what is called a false step.  this is when the front foot actually moves slightly backward in the first movement to gain power, early speed!  That is OK but once again needs to be mastered.

I could go on for ever about this stuff, but don't have the time or energy to go much farther than this.  Back when we did the running manual I worked closely with some of the best sprint coaches in the world.  Those that coached Olympic sprinters like Carl Lewis and others.  I never realized how much was involved before that.  Everything from breathing, to using imagination, to visualization, to maintaining looseness.  How running hard and running fast are often two completely different things.  Anyway, since then we have never worked with any runner that didn't end up cutting at least 2 tenths out of their 60 time, some much more.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.