Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ben,
As a DIII coach who loves speed there is alot that goes into what we are looking for out of a player. It also depends on your position and what else you bring to the table both offensively and defensively. The 60 time is just 1 of many things that we look at, for example: kid runs a 6.7 60...plays CF, fast right? 2 SB's in 2 yrs...he plays a great CF...but can't steal bases. another kids runs a 7.1 60...plays 2B...stole 22 bases...there's more to it than just 60 times!
At a PG showcase in Florida last December I overheard one kid talking to his dad. The kid had played very well in the games and put on a bit of a show in BP. The son was lamenting that his 60 time was in the mid 7's and you could tell it was really bothering him. The dad stopped as they were walking to the car, took a long look around at the 6 diamonds, baseball gloves and bats, took a listen to all the "cracks" of ball hitting bats and flatly stated to his son "I don't think they're looking for track stars here". Well said. I'll never forget it. Maybe you had to be there to "feel" his comment.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.