Skip to main content

A buddy of mine took his kid to a showcase in the fall. I guess they had been to a few and noticed one thing. The 60 is run first.

The guy told me that he figured out that if you don't run a good time then you might as well go to the parking lot and head home. Because no one cares what you do after that if you run a slow time.

He also said that the coach from the largest school represented at this fall showcase addressed the kids. The coach told them that he didn't see a single D1 prospect at this camp. Told them to keep working hard, and improving their games and they might be able to play at a D1, but that right now, none were at that level.

This dad said that the coach was a straight shooter and didn't sugar coat anything. Which was good in his opinion.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Why not receive instruction from your HS track coach?

When I operated the Area Code games, the pro scouts allowed me the freedom to experiment.

We ran the 60 yd, including pitchers, then the track coach provide instruction on running form and then we ran the 6o again and each running time improved 5-10%.

This year on our Yankees team in Australia, we had 5 players who ran the 60 under 6.6 seconds.

Bob

<goodwillseries.org>

I think it's safe to say that showcases are mostly about numbers. Velocity for pitchers, POP for catchers, and 60 time for most of the other guys. Arm strength and hitting are also factors, but speed and quickness are most important. Whether they run the 60 first or last, it's still going weed kids out.

Different types of showcases are good for different purposes. A great performance at a PG showcase could earn you a national ranking, which will generate college or even pro interest. A regional showcase might give you a chance to perform in front of a few coaches who are planning to evaluate you. Others might only give you an objective evaluation of where you stand. But if a parent is thinking "my kid is such a great CF that his 8.0 60 time shouldn't matter", then they're kidding themselves. (I'm not trying to imply that's what your buddy was thinking.)

If what the coach said was true, about there being no DI prospects, then I applaud him for his honesty. One of the most difficult tasks for parents is to figure out what skill level their son should be targeting.

I don't understand why any parent would object to the truth. Without the truth it becomes difficult to target the correct colleges and showcases. Or the kid can use the assessment to improve his game.

Back before my son started the process I spent a day watching a local D1 run a showcase for 36 kids. They ran these four straight weekends for 144 kids. Its a great fundraiser for the spring trip. I saw a lot of D1 gloves. I saw a lot of D1 arms (position players). I saw four D1 swings. It turned out these four were discovered at PG and were on official visits for the weekend.

The coaching staff of this D1 invites D2 and D3 coaching staffs to their showcase. He knows most of the kids who show up aren't going to be major conference D1 prospects. And he's not going to lose legitimate prospects to lower level programs.

Originally Posted by Consultant:

Why not receive instruction from your HS track coach?

When I operated the Area Code games, the pro scouts allowed me the freedom to experiment.

We ran the 60 yd, including pitchers, then the track coach provide instruction on running form and then we ran the 6o again and each running time improved 5-10%.

This year on our Yankees team in Australia, we had 5 players who ran the 60 under 6.6 seconds.

Bob

<goodwillseries.org>

Bob,

5-10% improvement on 7.0 is an improvement of 0.35s-0.7s.  This sounds like a huge same-day improvement.  Is this what you saw?

Most Camps / Showcases 2013 attended, always ran the 60 first. Some 2 attempts, 1 time, only one attempt...outside and cold? But, while going to a 5 day tournament in Omaha, son's Coach signed him up for a Nike Speed Challenge, summer after Junior year, w/o discussing it with him. Husband / Dad had a stroke a couple months before. I / we weren't going to be able to go with son. Couldn't afford extra night hotel room, so son drove the several hour trip alone, checked into hotel, and went straight to the Nike Speed Challenge. But, they ran their 60 differently, no straight line. One attempt...but, from 2B to Home Plate. Got a 6.82, which was enough to get 3rd place. 6.66 got first place.

Sad but true....we found if you aren't running sub 7 during your sophomore/junior years - D1 coaches won't look at you.  Unless you are head and shoulders above the rest in another area...

We ran across several D1 schools that don't recruit anyone above 6.9.   My son at the time was above 7.0 - so at least we didn't waste our time with those coaches.  Now in his senior year - he is below a 7.0 ....just happened later than the kids those schools wanted....  Everyone wants you to be full-grown and fully developed by age 16 it seems.  Those kids that mature/get faster/stronger in their junior/senior years are unfortunately at a disadvantage in the D1 recruiting world. 

There are some D1 programs (thank goodness for us one found us) that recruit on potential...hidden gems in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Stafford:

A buddy of mine took his kid to a showcase in the fall. I guess they had been to a few and noticed one thing. The 60 is run first.

The guy told me that he figured out that if you don't run a good time then you might as well go to the parking lot and head home. Because no one cares what you do after that if you run a slow time.

He also said that the coach from the largest school represented at this fall showcase addressed the kids. The coach told them that he didn't see a single D1 prospect at this camp. Told them to keep working hard, and improving their games and they might be able to play at a D1, but that right now, none were at that level.

This dad said that the coach was a straight shooter and didn't sugar coat anything. Which was good in his opinion.

Stafford, just curious - did your buddy mention what the lowest or the lower 60 times were at this camp?  

Cavtrooper:

He didn't know what the times were.

He said it looked like they only recorded the faster times because he noticed that they would look at the stopwatch and sometimes write it down and sometimes not. He said it was obvious that they only recorded the times of the fastest kids. If you ran at a certain level, they wrote it down, if not they didn't. Hence, his belief that if you didn't run a fast time, you might as well go on home.

Last edited by Stafford

Of course running ability is important.  However, once again I'm getting the impression that some people think it is the only thing.  We have had many players run over a 7 flat 60 that are now in the Major Leagues.  We have had many players run over 7 flat that  have played or are playing at the very highest level of DI baseball. We have picked players to play in the PG (formerly AFLAC) All American Classic that never ran a 7.00 or lower.

Also, the showcase mentioned in the OP must have really lacked any talent.  I have never attended a showcase where there were zero DI prospects.  And I really can't understand why any DI coach would tell the entire group there is no one here that can play DI.  It might be honest, but is it necessary?  What if honesty was you all stink and will never play college baseball at any level so you have wasted your money showing up here today?  Should he say that to the group?

Scouts and college recruiters are looking for talent.  When they see something they like they keep following up.  So if the 60 time is great, they want to see that player throw and hit.  However if a kid shows well fielding, throwing and hitting... They will check back and see how he ran.  Then they watch hitting and if a kid shows exceptional hitting tools and power, that will trump all the other tools.  So the truth is, it is not running ability that is number one... It is HITTING ability.

And if a scout or college coach doesn't see what he likes, what is his reason for saying that.  Every scout that ever lived along with every college recruiter will readily admit they have been wrong about players at times. So is telling everyone they can't play DI baseball really being honest?  My guess is the coach made this speech in a motivational sort of way.

Smitty,

The increase was achieved, not all players, however baseball players can understand kinetic instruction and apply quickly. We also ran again in the afternoon. This was a normal pro tryout same as the MLSB. I divided the players into 6 groups for running, learning, defense and hitting and throwing.

It would be a good PR gesture if "showcases" and camps applied teaching to their program.

During the Area Code games, we have a players clinic with a track coach, conditioning coach, hitting instruction [Eric Davis, Dusty Baker, Tony Brewer], Catching - Carl Nichols, pitching {Mike LaCross and Dave LaRoche] and thinking station with Darrel Thomas.

Bob

Last edited by Consultant
Originally Posted by Consultant:

Smitty,

The increase was achieved, not all players, however baseball players can understand kinetic instruction and apply quickly. We also ran again in the afternoon. This was a normal pro tryout same as the MLSB. I divided the players into 6 groups for running, learning, defense and hitting and throwing.

It would be a good PR gesture if "showcases" and camps applied teaching to their program.

During the Area Code games, we have a players clinic with a track coach, conditioning coach, hitting instruction [Eric Davis, Dusty Baker, Tony Brewer], Catching - Carl Nichols, pitching {Mike LaCross and Dave LaRoche] and thinking station with Darrel Thomas.

Bob

Thanks.  Area Code games sound awesome.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.