Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Average times are almost meaningless because it is difficult to decide which players are in the pool to be averaged. Just varsity starters? Anyone who made varsity? Anyone who made JV? All high schools? Just ones with more than 500 male students? Only outfielders?

However, it is practical to find out 60 yard times for some very good high school players. Here's one way: Visit PerfectGame.org, and find the reports for the National Underclass Showcase, held last December. Scan the list looking for 2010 grads, which will select for players about to enter their sophomore baseball season. Click on those players (perhaps excluding pitchers, catcher, and F3) and read their 60 times. You'll have to click manually on each player, but within 5 minutes you'll know.....

It is exceedingly rare for a sophomore to break 7 seconds. Lots of highly ranked (8.5+) sophomores run 7.3 or slower.

So what's "average" for a sophomore outfielder that does or will eventually start on varsity at a school with 500+ male students? I'll guess 7.2 or 7.3.
6.6 is a very fast 60 yd time and will egt the attention from a lot of scouts. There are not that many kids that run that fast.usually kids that run that fast are also quick and athletic as well.
and i understand your point that hes not a better player than he was when he was a little slower than that, which is a good point because a lot of fast guys dont equate into good players.
Im not saying your son is not a good player but am agreeing with the point made that his increse in speed didnt increase his ability. But all in all a 6.6 is quick.
Not to state the obvious, and rounding base issues aside, but the 60 is used as indicator of ability to 1) score from 2nd on a base hit; 2) turn a single into a double; 3) go from 1st to third on a base hit. All of these situations are key in scoring.

Nobody goes 60 yards per se on defense plays, but since people will tell you that in most cases, the differences in starting ability account for as much as .5 second, so the 60 time helps with understanding quickness issues, which are key in defense.
To give you a specific answer to your question I looked through one of PG's combines from last January at Sophmore's times. (I was interested in the number also)

Fastest was 6.87 (ranked a 9.5)

Slowest was 8.93 (ranked 6.5)

Average: 7.65

All except for the one above were above 7 secs.

As a FYI

7.6, 7.19, 7.12, 7.66, 7.04, 7.74, 7.95, 6.87, 7.27, 7.9.....
Never go by one 60 time posted!

I've seen my kid run a 7.2 or 7.3 on grass with spikes and then run a 6.9 the next day with turf shoes on Field Turf.

Also, whether it is hand-timed or laser-timed.

At a recent showcase that was laser-timed, he ran a 6.9. I was using my stopwatch and I showed 7.2.

Consistently under 7 is what they look for, regardless of conditions or timing method.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.