Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There is no way on earth he will reach 800 as his performance this year indicates that he is already starting the decline phase of his career especially without the "extra youth enhancement" help he had before. Injuries are coming more often and he's no longer the high average hitter he was before. And we all know he seems to have issues about performing well under pressure or time constraints.
ARod is 35 years old! tThe days of superlongevity because of HGH and roids are over. There is no way ARod will be a productive player in his 42 through 45 years. Those days are over--just look around the league and see how many guys who are in that age bracket are regular or semiregular players. Remember Vizquel is a defensive guy who wouldn't be in there for his offense. There are a few pitchers in that bracket but Moyer and Wakefield are just barely hanging on. ARod isn't a remarkably productive player now with this year's stats--I don't think he'll IMPROVE as he gets older. Unless its back on the juice of course!
You know OnWabana, despite my lack of respect for him as a person I tend to agree. He had so much natural talent and that is why its so sad and frustrating that he took the road he traveled. We'll never truly know where he would have ranked in the patheon of alltime greats because he was rumored to have used steroids from the very early days of his career,possibly as far back as high school according to the book written about him by Ms. Roberts.
quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
You know OnWabana, despite my lack of respect for him as a person I tend to agree. He had so much natural talent and that is why its so sad and frustrating that he took the road he traveled. We'll never truly know where he would have ranked in the patheon of alltime greats because he was rumored to have used steroids from the very early days of his career,possibly as far back as high school according to the book written about him by Ms. Roberts.

I highlighted the important text.

We just never know about any of these players or how far back PED use can be traced in the game. Every baseball player that has played since the game's inception has tried to find a way to gain an advantage. Obviously this doesn't excuse Arod or any other player using a drug banned by the Federal gov't, but it does give some perspective.

-----------------------
I believe that A-Rod is the best player of our generation. He plays the game with a level of intelligence and a magestic nature which can not be matched by anyone. While A-Rod does have a shot at becoming the all time home run leader, I am sure he would rather continue raking in his World Series rings. Alex Rodriguez is the true definition of a team player, and I hope Derek Jeter will learn from him someday.
If the DH remains in the league, and I don't see it going anywhere, A-Rod has a legitimate shot at reaching the 800 mark. The possibility of averaging 25 dingers a year over an eight year period is definitely not out of the question. I'm not an A-Roid/A-Fraud Fan...but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen...who knows, maybe he'll retire after this season?
quote:
I don't want to hear John Sterling making the call. His mic must be muted. He is the #1 worst broadcaster ever. 2nd place isn't even close.

You're wrong. Buck & McCarver are 1 and 1A for the the most pathetic excuse as broadcasters. Buck got there on his daddy's coattails and McCarver got there only because he caught Gibson. Neither one of them have one oz. of broadcasting ability. These two are the lamest of the lame and should be put out to pasture.
Last edited by zombywoof
Oh my goodness,

Lest we forget
- McCarver was in the bigs at age 17 y/o
- McCarver caught many no-no's but the one by Rick Wise, to me, is most memorable.
- McCarver just so happened to catch one of the greatest LHP, of all time!
- I can remember Garry Maddox, (his boys played at Terpville) telling me his side of the story of McCarver's game ending Grand Salami, only to pass him on the basepaths for a single! (McCarver was very excited, Maddox was watching the flight of the ball!)
- Caught for four decades! and will probably broadcast for four decades! And love his TV show!
- They love him in Memphis, St Louis, Philly, and Maryland
Phillie fans liked him as a player, so/so as an announcer.

Say what you want about McCarver but in the 2001
WS he called Gonzalez's bloop series winning hit over the drawn in infield. Just before the pitch he stated that it could allow a blooper over the infield. Many people might have realized it but he did say it on air. That pretty good timing.
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy03:

Another asterisk for the HOF.

That's insane. Even without roids, Arod hits bombs. He's only one of the best ever to play the game. A pure 5-tool player. The type of player that should be in the hall of fame in the first place.

IMO, the HOF is a joke who they let in. I'd say 80-90% of the members don't even belong in the HOF. Mazeroski gets in and peeps keeping Arod out. Joe Morgan?..Please..Let's get real. The HOF should be for players who dominate in their era and have the lofty numbers to back them up. Anyone who don't think Arod isn't a HOF'er needs their head examined
Last edited by zombywoof

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.