Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@TexasLefty posted:

Did Pearland handle Strake easily this year?  No Katy schools making it out?

SA schools are region 4?

You are right. Johnson and Reagan are region 4. I had the wrong list pulled up.

Pearland beat Strake in both games this year, 4-1 and 8-1.

IMO, Ridge Point is the favorite. They made state last year and are still very strong. Pearland would be my next pick. I could see Katy Tompkins or Cinco Ranch making a deep run.  

I wish the UIL would adopt a different playoff format. Doing everything based on geography is blatantly unfair to a lot of good teams. And this is true in all 4 regions to some extent. Region 1 has gotten much tougher in the past 10-15 years. For example District 6-6A has 3 teams ranked in the top 15 in the state - and 2 in the top 6 (I think). I have seen all 3 teams. Hebron & Flower Mound are both good enough to win a state championship. Flower Mound Marcus is good enough to make a run. I would like to see only good teams in the playoffs. Most 3rd & 4th place finishers in district have no business being in the playoffs. Especially in lower classifications.

Adbono, I agree with you on this. Almost have automatic births for district winners then have some type of points/ranking system to fill out the rest of the field. My son's district matches up in the first round against the same district every year. It usually ends up with all four of our teams defeating all four of their teams.

Also, UIL needs to just lay down law on playoff format and so no exceptions. I thought this past fall they had passed the rule for 2023 playoffs that all match ups had to be a 3 game series. I had people texting me today because their teams were playing a 1 game playoff and they were also under the impression that UIL had passed the rule about mandatory 3 game series. After talking with some other people, it sounds like the rule is actually that if both coaches agree on a 1 game playoff, you can still do it. But if there is a disagreement between the coaches on wither to play 1 or 3 games, it is an automatic 3 game series, no going to the coin flip. So eliminating the coin flip is really the only thing UIL did.

@ARCEKU21 posted:

Adbono, I agree with you on this. Almost have automatic births for district winners then have some type of points/ranking system to fill out the rest of the field. My son's district matches up in the first round against the same district every year. It usually ends up with all four of our teams defeating all four of their teams.

Also, UIL needs to just lay down law on playoff format and so no exceptions. I thought this past fall they had passed the rule for 2023 playoffs that all match ups had to be a 3 game series. I had people texting me today because their teams were playing a 1 game playoff and they were also under the impression that UIL had passed the rule about mandatory 3 game series. After talking with some other people, it sounds like the rule is actually that if both coaches agree on a 1 game playoff, you can still do it. But if there is a disagreement between the coaches on wither to play 1 or 3 games, it is an automatic 3 game series, no going to the coin flip. So eliminating the coin flip is really the only thing UIL did.

I actually heard it explained differently, although it was by a player so I don’t know how accurate the information is. But he told me their first round in the playoffs was a one gamer. As you mentioned, I said I thought both teams had to agree to that. He said, that for this year, the higher seed gets to determine the format. And the #2 starter for their opponent is injured and can’t play so they forced a one gamer.

From the UIL 2023 Post Season PDF Packet:

Playoff Game Format. Play-off games may be single elimination or two-out-of-three from bi-district to state. If neither method is mutually agreeable, a coin flip shall determine play-off format. 5 • In the bi-district round, District champions are able to determine whether to play a single game or a series. Site and all other game arrangements will be negotiated between the two participating teams.

From the UIL 2023 Post Season PDF Packet:

Playoff Game Format. Play-off games may be single elimination or two-out-of-three from bi-district to state. If neither method is mutually agreeable, a coin flip shall determine play-off format. 5 • In the bi-district round, District champions are able to determine whether to play a single game or a series. Site and all other game arrangements will be negotiated between the two participating teams.

Thanks for the clarification. But I hate that any team can dictate a one game playoff if the opponent doesn’t agree - even if it’s only in the first round.

@adbono posted:

I wish the UIL would adopt a different playoff format. Doing everything based on geography is blatantly unfair to a lot of good teams. And this is true in all 4 regions to some extent. Region 1 has gotten much tougher in the past 10-15 years. For example District 6-6A has 3 teams ranked in the top 15 in the state - and 2 in the top 6 (I think). I have seen all 3 teams. Hebron & Flower Mound are both good enough to win a state championship. Flower Mound Marcus is good enough to make a run. I would like to see only good teams in the playoffs. Most 3rd & 4th place finishers in district have no business being in the playoffs. Especially in lower classifications.

I was looking at some ranking and I think, if I’m remembering correctly, district 19-6a also has 3 teams in the top 20.  I’d wager there are 2-3 teams in that district that would make the playoffs if not for being in that district.  There are good teams that miss out that would have a high probability of beating some district champions in weak districts.  What could they do to make it more competitive?  Maybe subdivide the regions and so that the teams from one district would not see each other until the regional finals (or would that be state semis)?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.