Skip to main content

Another thread got me thinking.  I've always wondered about a training technique of having a pitcher throw a 70' bullpen, or maybe a 75' bullpen?  I guess mostly for FBs, maybe change-ups? 

I've always thought it'd be good for adding velo, similar to theory behind long toss, but from a wind up off mound at 70-75 feet. 

Just one of my "backyard - dad" ideas that I've had son do once in a while.  Any validity to this idea?  I'm guessing others have done it, maybe some reputable coaches actually advocate it already?

Any ideas?  Thoughts?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

just my thoughts...

I do think there is merit to throwing with proper mechanics at a longer distance and many, including some of my own P's will start their pens with some throws (or take a few pre-game throws) from behind the mound.  I've seen some MLB and college guys do the same (Bauer).  

However, a few factors come into play..

When throwing from the mound, it is important to dial mechanics specifically to achieve accurate location results.  So, moving the distance of the slope changes the angles and results.  Also, as a side note, mounds aren't easy to move.  So, yes, a C can move back in some instances and yes, portables at facilities can be manipulated but sometimes this is a limitation.

Working occasional flatground at a slightly longer distance, I think can be good.  Disclaimer - I am not a P guru.

Last edited by cabbagedad

I'm with cabbage on this - the only thing it would be beneficial for is fastball development and there are already other things in place to do this.  There's no way you would be able to work on any other pitch doing this because they will all bounce well before the catcher OR they will adjust their release point to get it there in the air.  This will still probably happen with fastballs but they are easier to get back to normal.

#1 Assistant Coach posted:

Another thread got me thinking.  I've always wondered about a training technique of having a pitcher throw a 70' bullpen, or maybe a 75' bullpen?  I guess mostly for FBs, maybe change-ups? 

I've always thought it'd be good for adding velo, similar to theory behind long toss, but from a wind up off mound at 70-75 feet. 

Just one of my "backyard - dad" ideas that I've had son do once in a while.  Any validity to this idea?  I'm guessing others have done it, maybe some reputable coaches actually advocate it already?

Any ideas?  Thoughts?

There is a youth coach in GA who uses a 60 ft mound for kids under 13u as a fastball drill, just about 10 pitches, he swears it helps with speed and location. I have no idea if it actually does. 

It shouldn't make any difference.  Speed doesn't change based on how far or short a throw is.  Force needed to reach a certain point changes, but a pitcher is able to apply the same force needed to throw 75 feet when throwing 60 feet.   In other words, there's no extra resistance in throwing 70 or 75 feet as compared to 60 feet. Resistance is what strengthens.

It might accomplish the effect of forcing a guy who subconsciously  takes something off of his fastball at 60 feet to throw with more effort.

It would make 60 feet look much closer, and could have the psychological effect of making the pitcher feel like he can throw harder and more accurately.  

Also, accuracy at 70 to 75 feet will almost certainly translate into better location at 60 feet as there's less room for the ball to travel off course.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.