Skip to main content

Hello! I have really enjoyed reading your forum.

I have a 8 year old son who just started playing baseball 3 months ago and he really loves it! When he started to take an interest in baseball I decided to get him some lessons once a week with a well respected coach in our area. He works with the coach almost exclusively on his throwing form. I wanted him to learn the proper mechanics from the beginning hoping this would help him avoid injury & not limit his progress if he continues with baseball.

For the past three weeks he has been working on his pitching mechanics. He is double jointed in his throwing elbow and i was wondering if it is okay for him to pitch? I will consult a Dr if needed but I was wondering if any of you have dealt with this issue? I'm not sure if this condition would lead to injury or even if it might help prevent injury.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this long winded post! Have a great evening!

Charlie
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
What do you mean by his throwing elbow is double jointed?

Charlie;

Welcome here and congrats on what may be the beginning of a great ride with your boy in baseball.

When my son was a young toddler (now 19yr.) we were horsing around on our bed and I playfully tossed him on to the mattress. He put his arm out instinctively to break his fall. When he did the arm bent inward at the elbow as if it had broken. My wife saw it and freaked out. Turned out his elbow joint could move either direction for many years (not sure if it still does). I'm guessing that's what you are describing?

Anyway, it doesn't have any bearing one way or the other on injury potential throwing a baseball.

JMO; but I would not encourage an eight year old to focus on pitching. It's great you are ensuring he learns to throw properly. I suggest, again this is just my opinion, letting him learn and enjoy the many facets of the game without too much early emphasis on pitching. Overuse injuries are a very real concern so, as the protector of his arm (he only has one) be cautious.

I hope you are able to share with your son many years of enjoyment in the game. REGARDS..

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.